x350 for snowblowing a steep driveway?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: x350 for snowblowing a steep driveway?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-12-2018 @ 06:55 AM
    Thanks

x350 for snowblowing a steep driveway?

Hi All - I'm new here and to the JD world in general (my father in law restores antique JDs) and I'm considering purchasing my first JD tractor. I have a fairly steep blacktop driveway I'd like to snowblow with a tractor that I can repurpose in the summer for mowing. My goal is to keep it under $4500 is possible so I was considering an x354 with a blower on the front. I've been to two dealers at this point and both have indicated that it would be underpowered for my driveway and are pushing me to spent $18k on a 1023e with a loader. While I would LOVE to make that purchase, I'd also like to stay married...

Thoughts from those with a x350 and a snowblower on it? I'm curious to see if it will "work" for my application, though obviously bigger is better.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,219 Posts
    If nothing else I think you would be well served with a tractor that has a differential lock pedal otherwise you may find yourself with one wheel spinning. The X570 is the least expensive lawn tractor that has a diff lock. It would be beefier than the X350 all the way around yet still would be a very suitable riding mower.

With tire chains, a few rear weights and a diff lock pedal I doubt you will have any issues navigating your driveway. Granted, in really deep snows you may have to snow blow going down hill, drive back up through the blown path and then snow blow down hill again but that is no big deal at all.
    Winter83 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    01-12-2018 @ 06:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    If nothing else I think you would be well served with a tractor that has a differential lock pedal otherwise you may find yourself with one wheel spinning. The X570 is the least expensive lawn tractor that has a diff lock. It would be beefier than the X350 all the way around yet still would be a very suitable riding mower.

With tire chains, a few rear weights and a diff lock pedal I doubt you will have any issues navigating your driveway. Granted, in really deep snows you may have to snow blow going down hill, drive back up through the blown path and then snow blow down hill again but that is no big deal at all.
    Thanks for the info. That's my exact struggle; I looked at the 570 but that puts my price up near 8k all said and done. At that point, why not elevate up to a 1023e? That logic, however, doesn't fly well with the wife. ;) Yesterday the conversation with my wife ended with "How did this go from $4000 to $15000???" hahaha

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 961 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crichard6185 View Post
    Thanks for the info. That's my exact struggle; I looked at the 570 but that puts my price up near 8k all said and done. At that point, why not elevate up to a 1023e? That logic, however, doesn't fly well with the wife. ;) Yesterday the conversation with my wife ended with "How did this go from $4000 to $15000???" hahaha
    It's a big jump from the X570 to a 1 series machine. By the sounds of your tasks (mowing and snowblowing), if I were going to "jump up", I'd go up to a X738/X758. Great machines, with 4WD. If you don't need a loader or 3 Point Hitch that is. That jump up may be cheaper than going to a 1 series.
    ejb69 likes this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    You really can’t put an arbitrary number on a tractor purchase. You evaluate the tasks to be completed, find the proper implements, then size the machine to those tasks.
    Winter83 likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 12:55 PM
    Thanks
    While my driveway isn’t particularly steep, it has a decent slope and I have no problems getting up it. The first pass is the hardest, but once I get to the top, I can make a full pass going downhill, and use the following uphill passes for clearing the leftovers. My neighbor’s driveway across the street is quite a bit steeper than mine, but when I help them out, I can get up the slope, but it can be slow going. But it works.

This is on a $1400 LA135 with a $1500 blower attached.
    Some of these guys can’t spend your money fast enough. In my opinion, with chains on the tires and weight on the back, I think you would be fine with an x300 series. Granted, your driveway may be way more sloped than mine so the above may be bad advice. My driveway goes up about 15’ in elevation over a length of roughly 100’, whatever slope that is. YMMV
    Robnik likes this.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crichard6185 View Post
    What all are you adding to the base purchase to get to $8K? A X570/48" lists for $5999. JD usually runs a $500 off sale around February.
    Robnik likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

Sometimes new isn't the best option. There is a lot of lightly used equipment available at Deere dealers for very good prices. Honestly, I've bought exactly 1 new tractor in the last 30 years, all the others have been used as I find that used is the best bang for the $.

Check this out, not too far from you and an x700 series is a lot of tractor.

2008 John Deere X700 - Lawn & Garden Tractors - John Deere MachineFinder
    ColonyPark, stu19511 and Robnik like this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    I guess I'd ask how much do you need to mow and what is that terrain like in addition to blowing snow? Going from an x3xx series to a 1 series is one hell of a jump and I'd be curious what your overall requirements are. Any tier JD will blow snow and do a decent job as long as you understand that a heavier higher HP machine has a distinct advantage right out of the gate. Just because you have a sloped drive doesn't mean you have to work uphill. Personally, I'd never own an air cooled machine for starters. Air cooled means more noise and shorter engine life, all things being equal. My next consideration is weight and I'm not even talking snow removal. My yard is about 1.7 acres and rough. I wouldn't want a machine under 700#. Light weight LT machines are ok on flat smooth yards but most of us don't have that luxury and >700 # machines even with my 220# ass ride like $h!t. A step up in weight and HP affords you a larger deck with a cushion in power to help if the turf gets thick or you have to wait on rain to mow. The same applies to snow removal. Larger heavier machines work more efficiently and are much more tolerant of the abuse snow removal puts them through and yes its abusive. I have no doubt that an x3xx would be functional for me but the question is how long. My 455 was $14k with the 54 blade but 20 years later it is still one of the best purchases I've ever made bar none. The overall cost of ownership has been relatively low and I've done things with it that would have destroyed a lesser tractor. If I had a limited budget, I would gladly trade better utility for $ and age. That means I'd buy used before I'd settle for less machine but that's just me.
    Robnik likes this.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:13 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    What all are you adding to the base purchase to get to $8K? A X570/48" lists for $5999. JD usually runs a $500 off sale around February.
    If the tractor is 6k , I could see the blower, weights and chains adding 2k.
    Robnik likes this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast