Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: PTO Driveshaft wobble

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-17-2018 @ 12:14 AM
    Thanks

PTO Driveshaft wobble

Ever have any issues with this pto driveshaft? Universal joint seems fine, hard to check as it has a rubber sleeve over the universal. The front mount in the bearing and bracket keeps it still and in place, but the back end just sits on the output pto shaft. Theres alot of wobble up and down on it. When its spinning free, theres wobble but under load it tightens up. Anyone drill the back one and add set screws to keep it still?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2673.jpg   IMG_2680.jpg   0001707256____________A1.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    The shaft is either bent and/or extended to far.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:11 PM
    Thanks
    Fist off from what I can see from the pic the u joints are out of time, that would cause vibration as they fight each other.Second I believe the lock collar end goes on the transmission end,like the mower connects.
    X748SE and CADplans like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    Fist off from what I can see from the pic the u joints are out of time, that would cause vibration as they fight each other.S
    I had never run into U-joint timing before,, interesting.

I even found a very descriptive article,,,,

Drive Shaft Timing: Is Your Roll Forming Mill in Time?
    TJR345 likes this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Thanks
    Fist off from what I can see from the pic the u joints are out of time, that would cause vibration as they fight each other.Second I believe the lock collar end goes on the transmission end,like the mower connects.
    Your crystal ball evidently isn't as cloudy as mine is because from viewing GreenMachineX495's photos I can't determine that u-joints are out of phase(time). Please elaborate.
    Ray_PA, johnH123, TJR345 and 1 others like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post

Drive shaft u-joint phasing(timing) is very important especially if u-joints are not operating completely straight. When u-joints are in any angle the driveshaft slightly changes revolution rpm's. Having pto shaft out of phase increases vibration & noise. Photo from your posted article shows how to check correct u-joint phasing(timing)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  
    Last edited by Tx Jim; 01-14-2018 at 07:09 AM.
    Jim Timber and TJR345 like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies. Theres only 1 u joint on the tractor driveshaft, There are 2 on the blower short driveshaft and they are "in time". The back connection on the output pto(where the mower deck attaches to) is a slip on and not a locking collar or anything, its held by the front bearing locked into the bracket. All that wobble on the output pto will eventually get worst. Wonder if I used the hole for the grease zerk on the back and made a locking set screw on it?
    TJR345 likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:11 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post

Drive Shaft Timing: Is Your Roll Forming Mill in Time?
    It's something that gets over looked and can cause all kinds of vibration and wears the u joint fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    Your crystal ball evidently isn't as cloudy as mine is because from viewing GreenMachineX495's photos I can't determine that u-joints are out of phase(time). Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    Drive shaft u-joint phasing(timing) is very important especially if u-joints are not operating completely straight. When u-joints are in any angle the driveshaft slightly changes revolution rpm's. Having pto shaft out of phase increases vibration & noise. Photo from your posted article shows how to check correct u-joint phasing(timing)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMachineX495 View Post
    Thanks for your replies. Theres only 1 u joint on the tractor driveshaft, There are 2 on the blower short driveshaft and they are "in time". The back connection on the output pto(where the mower deck attaches to) is a slip on and not a locking collar or anything, its held by the front bearing locked into the bracket. All that wobble on the output pto will eventually get worst. Wonder if I used the hole for the grease zerk on the back and made a locking set screw on it?
    If you study the pics posted you'll see the first one the u joint end coming off the hanger is vertical (12 o'clock position).The second pic (you have to turn sideways) the u joint under the plastic wrap is off,the end going into the transmission is at a one o'clock position instead of the 12 o'clock position.This will cause vibration.
    On another note I think the shaft is backwards but I don't have instructions either.It would make sense to me that if there's a locking collar that it would go to the tranny end like the mower shaft.I know you have a 2wd but the 4wd shows the lock end at the tranny.
    https://www.greenpartstore.com/asset...structions.pdf
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    It's something that gets over looked and can cause all kinds of vibration and wears the u joint fast.

If you study the pics posted you'll see the first one the u joint end coming off the hanger is vertical (12 o'clock position).The second pic (you have to turn sideways) the u joint under the plastic wrap is off,the end going into the transmission is at a one o'clock position instead of the 12 o'clock position.This will cause vibration.
    On another note I think the shaft is backwards but I don't have instructions either.It would make sense to me that if there's a locking collar that it would go to the tranny end like the mower shaft.I know you have a 2wd but the 4wd shows the lock end at the tranny.
    https://www.greenpartstore.com/asset...structions.pdf
    Ok, first pic you see in my post is the short driveshaft from the blower with the locking collar, connected to the front end of the main tractor drive shaft, the male end with the bearing and the bracket, you can see the yellow handle thats part of the bearing assembly, and the bracket its connected to, to the right, like it shows in the 3rd pic. The 3rd pic IS the driveshaft thats currently on my machine. 2nd pic is where it connects to the pto output at the back. Will add a pic of the new and old(shorter) small blower shaft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2581.jpg  

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 01:26 PM
    Thanks
    I guess I learn something every day. I thought all tractors had the locking collar at the transaxle end but maybe not. Here is the 2WD correct manual I think. Hope it helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    GreenMachineX495 likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast