LA100 Quit - Oil Residue in Engine - Advice?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LA100 Quit - Oil Residue in Engine - Advice?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-28-2011 @ 07:06 AM
    Thanks

LA100 Quit - Oil Residue in Engine - Advice?

Hi All,

I am not a tractor buff by any means. So here is my scenario; I was cutting the lawn and the tractor (LA100) just quit. I tried to restart but just a click (no turning of the engine). I made sure the battery was charged but still no dice.

The connections look in tact and the only odd thing is some oil residue in the engine (left side). There is oil in the engine still (I checked) so I am not sure what is wrong.

I have been waiting for John Deere to come and pick it up but it has been over two weeks and thought I would reach out to the experts. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-19-2013 @ 06:20 PM
    Sainte Genevieve, Missouri, United States
    Thanks
    There are several possibilities. The engine could have gotten hot for any number of reasons and seized up. Can you turn the engine by hand? The charging system could have failed and drained your battery. How did you make sure the battery was charged? The starter relay could be bad. The fusible link could have failed. Can you give us a little more information. Do you have a multimeter?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Master Service Technician, John Deere AG, North America
    Advanced Service Technician, John Deere C&CE, North America

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, have done so much, for so long, with so little that we can now do anything with nothing.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply!

More information is always a good thing; The situation occurred after I was cutting some taller grass. The mower was struggling a little so I emptied the baskets and cleared out the side discharger while the mower was running. Then when I put it in gear again it shut down and that was it.

I thought it might be the battery so I hooked up a trickle recharger until it was fully recharged (my recharger tells me this).

I took a couple of pictures of the oil that is in the bottom of the engine. More on one side probably because it is on a hill.

I didn't try to turn the engine by hand because I wasn't really sure how...I am really a beginner here
    Attached Files Attached Files

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,976 Times in 2,482 Posts
    That oil does not look good...is the crankcase still full?
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    You are going to think I am an idiot but I am not sure what a crankcase is. I checked the dipstick and the engine has oil but not sure if this is the same thing.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Engine was running then died when put in gear. This could be a seat switch issue. You should be able to turn the engine with the pulley that drives your blades.

Sent from Kev's EVO.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, have done so much, for so long, with so little that we can now do anything with nothing.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,976 Times in 2,482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luxury1 View Post
    You are going to think I am an idiot but I am not sure what a crankcase is. I checked the dipstick and the engine has oil but not sure if this is the same thing.
    Nope-I don't think you are an idiot, we are here to help, not judge or ridicule.

The crankcase is what holds the oil-and you say you checked it with the dipstick and the level was good-that's what I wanted to hear. I was concerned that a major failure occurred and you lost all the oil causing the engine to seize up, that is why Kevin wants you to try to turn it over by hand.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the help thus far. I am learning that this is kind of like a puzzle that can be fun to put together if it can be successfully solved. I have always seen people work on cars and tractors and now I understand that it can actually be fun (but also frustrating).

Anyway, I went back out and pulled on the belts. The belt for the blades turned and I was also able to get the higher belt that goes from the engine to under the back seat. However, this raised a question: when you first open the hood and look down, there is a cirucular grate with what looks like fan blades inside. This didn't turn in conjunction with the belt. Is it supposed to?

I also checked the connection of the seat cut off switch but it seemed to be plugged in. I ensured the other connections were plugged in also.

I checked and blew off the air filter but I don't think that this is it since it isn't running rough. I also did some reading about spark plugs. Does anyone think it could be the spark plug or doesn't this sound likely?

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    That grate should turn with the bottom pulley. Turning the belt will not necessarily turn the pulley. You should be able to turn the grate until you get to the compression stroke of the engine.

Sent from Kev's EVO.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    I tried manually turning the engine pulley today and had no luck. It is entirely locked up. It was in neutral when I did this.

What do you guys think that this indicates?

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast