• 2 Post By kr3039R
  • 1 Post By dkarst

Thread: 2000 rpm 4wd kit

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks

2000 rpm 4wd kit

Has anyone with the front pto kit for the 4wd models put the front shaft in the axle by themselves. Just wondering how the install went and if the instructions were short on any info.
    PJR832 likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 07:17 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    Has anyone with the front pto kit for the 4wd models put the front shaft in the axle by themselves. Just wondering how the install went and if the instructions were short on any info.
    I think with the Kit for the X595 You don't Have to drain the front Transmission which You have to do with the Hydraulic front axle on the X748. since I had a X748 with a Hydraulic front axle I let the Dealer do it. It was free I only had to transport the tractor to the dealer. Basically I believe on your X595 You remove the two caps On the axle and Install stub shaft & two bearing's.
    X748SE, TJR345 and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 08:00 PM
    Thanks
    It is really quite easy. When I did my X575, I drained the center section of the axle, popped the plugs out after making sure it was nice and clean, and installed the shaft. The bearings sit in flush against the housing on the inside and are held in with a set of snap rings. Slide the shaft through and there is another set of snap rings that hold the shaft in place as well. I wrapped the splines on the shaft with electrical tape and greased it before I slid the seals on. Use a piece of pvc pipe the size of the outside of the seal and tap it in. I can't remember the size of the pipe though. Then refill with gear oil. It is really quite straight forward once you start working on it. It takes less than an hour to do.
    X748SE, BigJim55, TJR345 and 1 others like this.
    2019 2025R, H120 Loader, 260b Backhoe, 47 QH Snow BLower, EL23 Kuhn Tiller, I-match, Heavy Hitch and misc. attachments

2016 X758, 54" HC mower, Quick Hitch, 60" blade, 3 pt hitch

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 08:00 PM
    Thanks
    The other thing to make sure is the shaft is in the right direction.
    X748SE, BigJim55, TJR345 and 1 others like this.
    2019 2025R, H120 Loader, 260b Backhoe, 47 QH Snow BLower, EL23 Kuhn Tiller, I-match, Heavy Hitch and misc. attachments

2016 X758, 54" HC mower, Quick Hitch, 60" blade, 3 pt hitch

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-25-2019 @ 04:43 PM
    Thanks
    Yes, you can do it.

I installed the Front PTO Kit, BM25305, on my X758 last week. The setup information and directions supplied by Deere are very good. The Kit includes one shaft and two, identical: bearings, external snap rings, internal snap rings, oil seals.

The setup directions from Deere for the BM25305 Kit differ slightly from Adam’s Kit.

Since the bearings and shaft have an interference fit, a bearing is installed onto the fully-splined end of the shaft and then an external snap ring is installed to the shaft. This shaft/bearing/external ring assembly is then inserted into the rear side of the axle housing and driven forward until it is seated. The external snap ring must be tight against the bearing. The assembly goes into the housing with minimal force. Then, the internal snap ring is installed.

Then, going to the front side of the axle, install the bearing and external snap ring on the shaft and the internal snap ring to the housing.

Otherwise, the rest of the assembly follows as Adam has well described. It takes as much time to drain and re-fill the oil on an X758 as to install the shaft assembly. Less than 1 gallon of oil drains out of the front axle. The existing oil seals were easily pried loose and removed with a screwdriver and pliers.

One observation. As the front bearing is being driven onto the shaft, the shaft can move rearward through the back bearing. If the shaft does move back, the groove in the shaft for the front external snap ring will only be partially visible or, most likely, not visible at all; it is obscured by the bearing. The shaft has to be fully forward for the front retaining ring to be assembled. Once I learned this and positioned the shaft forward as far as possible, I was able to hold the shaft forward with hand force while the front bearing was seated.

I recommend reading the thread “X758 Front PTO Leak” on this site. There are color pictures that show the shaft, bearings and the internal and external snap rings with better clarity than the black and white instructions received with the Kit. The written steps and description on that thread follow the Installation Instructions that came with my Kit.

An external/internal snap ring tool is needed. I squared the end of a 1” pipe and used it as a punch to squarely drive the bearings into position. The shaft nicely clears the ID of the pipe. I also made a washer with a 1.031” diameter hole and 2.25” O.D., which I used with the 1” pipe to squarely drive the oil seals into place.

It is not hard. You’ll do well.
    TJR345 and PJR832 like this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kr3039R For This Useful Post:

TJR345 (03-06-2018)

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks
    I guess I'll mention one thing to watch for. A work colleague had his installed by dealer ~ 4 yrs ago. This winter one of the internal snap rings worked its way out and let the bearing come out as well and beat up the shaft/axle housing before he could get shut down. He had argument with dealer as snap ring didn't fracture, just apparently was never seated into groove sufficiently. Tractor was a month or so out of warranty but I heard dealer made it right. Just make sure snap rings are seated into grooves. May be helpful to get on ramp so you can get head in there to see better.
    TJR345 likes this.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements