Need help identifying a model to buy.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Need help identifying a model to buy.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-23-2015 @ 03:43 PM
    Thanks

Need help identifying a model to buy.

I own, and love, my GX355, but my back is a real train wreck and I think I would like to explore getting a tractor with a FEL. My GX355 is not suitable for a loader.....right? What model JD would still be a great mower like my GX355 and also give me something I can lift stuff up with (car parts, firewood, lawn waste, snow piles, etc)? I will need to mow my finicky acre, clear snow very effectively, and have a reliable machine. I looked at Kubota 2370 and 25D tractors and they are very nice, very expensive, and a little bigger than what I currently own. Any "helpful" suggestions based on my comments? Is my GX 355 good trading bait? Thanks, Bill
    Last edited by moparharn; 08-11-2014 at 03:36 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Thanks
    Any of the X300/500/700 series tractors will do everything you mention. They don't have a loader like CUTs but they do have an optional front end "Tractor shovel" which is essentially a light-weight version of a front bucket. The tractor shovel is actually attached to the snow plow.

The trade-in value of your GX355 is really dealer-dependent. Just like cars though, unless it's a collector item, you are usually better off selling it yourself.

Just to add, the Deere equal to the Kubota 2370 and 25D would be the 1023E/1025R. Both of which can be fitted with a true FEL.
    Last edited by JimR; 08-11-2014 at 03:55 PM.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    FWIW, the GX355 diesel is a "rare bird" of the GX series. Keep that in mind for sale/trade in.

IF one goes to a "tractor shovel", stay away from the JD accessory that mounts to the 54 blade. It is not nearly as useful or well made as a "Johnny Bucket Jr." electric powered front bucket. I have the JB JR w/tooth bar and height extender ('04 GX335) and it was a very useful and handy tool for jobs like the OP has specified.

No, "it ain't a loader", but it's a damn site better than a shovel and cart or wheelbarrow. Only the purchase of a 1026TLB put my JB Jr. out to pasture!

Have a look: Johnny Bucket Jr. John Deere GX Type
    JimR likes this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    No, "it ain't a loader", but it's a damn site better than a shovel and cart or wheelbarrow.
    Is there something that ISN'T?
    HydroHarold likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:04 AM
    Thanks
    Here is a second vote for the Johnny Bucket. I had a Johnny Bucket Senior (the version with hydraulic lift and bucket dump) that was serial number 1001 for my 322. Johnny Products made it for me and it was their first one for the open frame tractors like the 318, 332 and my 322. It was an invaluable tool on our last property where we had lots of gravel to move whenever we redid the driveways and parking areas, plus all the wood chips on the pathways. Mine had a somewhat larger bucket than the 'production' units as he now ships UPS... If I still has that kind of work to do I would still have it...but it sat in storage after we moved to the place on the golf course and I sold it right out of the storage locker last year. I would not hesitate to have another one should the need arise. Here are some pictures:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Johnny Bucket Sr on 322.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	31523 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Johnny Bucket Sr.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	31524

As long as you are just moving materials and not trying to load into a trailer/truckbed, these work GREAT. And, I never had to worry about my wife tipping over a tractor with a raised FEL on our uneven property.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deer, Deere and Dear.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	31525

Chuck
    HydroHarold and D&M Lawn Care like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-23-2015 @ 03:43 PM
    Thanks

JD FEL options

Thank you for the good information. I have looked at the JB jr in the past and I like what he does. My problem is that the JB does not lift high enough to serve as a spine replacement (my back). I want to lift mechanical items up to a work bench, logs up to a jog splitter, virtually anything that I might lift with my back. The JB would save me not having to go all the way to the ground, but it would not complete a lift to a work bench or pickup truck bed. What is the lift extender? How much higher are we talking. Also, does my GX355 being a rare bird make it more, or less valuable? Thanks again. Bill

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moparharn View Post
    Thank you for the good information. I have looked at the JB jr in the past and I like what he does. My problem is that the JB does not lift high enough to serve as a spine replacement (my back). I want to lift mechanical items up to a work bench, logs up to a jog splitter, virtually anything that I might lift with my back. The JB would save me not having to go all the way to the ground, but it would not complete a lift to a work bench or pickup truck bed. [I] What is the lift extender?[/I] How much higher are we talking. Also, does my GX355 being a rare bird make it more, or less valuable? Thanks again. Bill
    You are right about the lift height!! You do need a front bucket or bucket/forks attachment (See Artillian's site on the forum).

The "lift extender" is really a "bucket 'increaser'" which bolts to the top of the bucket giving it about 10" or so more capacity for mulch, bark, compost loads, etc.

The GX355 IS fairly rare, but I'm not an expert on such subjects I just know there aren't very many in circulation... Hence, being it's a GX series tractor (very reliable and well made) AND it's a diesel + few in service = I'd look for mo' money, mo' money for it in trade or sale... BUT! When I got my 1026r I just couldn't part with my GX so I kept it and use it to mow when the TLB is on the 1026 and blow snow when the plow is on it in winter. (Plus, my wife gave it to me as a gift and I'll never part with it!!)
    ColonyPark likes this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    06-16-2019 @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    If a true loader is a must, the a JD 1-series or similar from other makers. I like the Mahindra Max, myself. Not as well engineered as JD, but more capable.

The other option is an older used X-series with a loader (if you can find one), and there is a company that makes one to fit the newer signature series too: 2013 John deere x ultimate

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 05:10 AM
    Thanks
    How about a 425/445/455?

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gittyup View Post
    If a true loader is a must, the a JD 1-series or similar from other makers. I like the Mahindra Max, myself. Not as well engineered as JD, but more capable.
    So how's parts availability and dealer service/maintenance for those Mahindras in your area? Takes a week just to drive to a dealer from here and I hear getting parts is way longer yet!

NRA Life Member

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast