Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bflener

Thread: Leaky swash shaft on 425

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-01-2014 @ 11:27 AM
    Thanks

Leaky swash shaft on 425

My 425 is leaking from where the swash shaft comes out of the case. I looked at the breakdown and it shows 2 orings on the shaft. My question is can I pull the lever off and get to the orings to replace them without having to pull off the side cover, or do they fit into grooves on the shaft? Any help is appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok since no one has posted here and I have change these now I will add my results. The 2 orings are not bad to change, I dropped the rear down but did not fully take it out. Now that I have done the job if I ever have to do it again I wouldn't have done anything other than take the wheel off and remove the directional lever. It is an easy task the only thing I would change is next time I will order 3 and try to fit 3 in the space. In my opinion there is a lot if extra space in there. Not a hard job at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bflener For This Useful Post:

arlen (08-30-2014)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    Sorry no one could offer any help on your repair. Thank you for letting anyone else that find this thread that it is an easy job.

John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    It's ok. It didn't bother me I just wanted to keep it going. I'm sure other people will have the same issue and I wanted to pass on that with the right tools it could be a 30 min job and there is no need to drain the whole rear axle. If you have a cheap set of dentist picks & small snap ring pliers from harbor freight, along with a socket set that goes to at least 17mm you can get it done no problem!

dieselshadow and felixm22 like this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bflener For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (08-30-2014)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-18-2017 @ 06:15 PM
    Thanks

Swash shaft??

Quote Originally Posted by Bflener View Post
    It's ok. It didn't bother me I just wanted to keep it going. I'm sure other people will have the same issue and I wanted to pass on that with the right tools it could be a 30 min job and there is no need to drain the whole rear axle. If you have a cheap set of dentist picks & small snap ring pliers from harbor freight, along with a socket set that goes to at least 17mm you can get it done no problem!

I also have a 425 with an annoying trans leak. Where is this "swash shaft" located?

Thanks,
    Jd3x

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    If you are standing at the back of the mower it will be on the right side of the trans

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410146528.617700.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	345.2 KB 
ID:	32543 follow the red dot

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410146688.093400.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	32544I want to start by saying that this is not my mower(my mower would never get that dirty) an secondly I did not take this picture myself(it was found on yahoo search). The swash shaft is up by the number one. When you remove the directional lever there is a c-clip and a washer you have to remove, then you can fish out the orings with some cheap dentists picks like you can get from harbor freight. When you put the new ones in make sure you put some Vaseline on them (or I used aquaphor because that was all I could find in the house, it's not just for diaper rashes and tattoos!) The best price I found for replacement orings was greenfarmparts.com. Make sure you use the GTT code to get your discount if your a member here. You will also probably want to order a few other things, if not you will pay more for the shipping than you pay for the orings! You do need to get a quantity of 2, if you just order 1 you will be down for another week waiting for the 2nd one to come in the mail. Also if it is not leaking from that area it could be something else leaking. I hope this helps!

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    08-18-2017 @ 06:15 PM
    Thanks

Swash plate info

Quote Originally Posted by Bflener View Post

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410146688.093400.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	32544I want to start by saying that this is not my mower(my mower would never get that dirty) an secondly I did not take this picture myself(it was found on yahoo search). The swash shaft is up by the number one. When you remove the directional lever there is a c-clip and a washer you have to remove, then you can fish out the orings with some cheap dentists picks like you can get from harbor freight. When you put the new ones in make sure you put some Vaseline on them (or I used aquaphor because that was all I could find in the house, it's not just for diaper rashes and tattoos!) The best price I found for replacement orings was greenfarmparts.com. Make sure you use the GTT code to get your discount if your a member here. You will also probably want to order a few other things, if not you will pay more for the shipping than you pay for the orings! You do need to get a quantity of 2, if you just order 1 you will be down for another week waiting for the 2nd one to come in the mail. Also if it is not leaking from that area it could be something else leaking. I hope this helps!

Thanks so much for this info. Next time I have a chance to get the 425 on ramps I'll have close look.

Thanks Again,
    Jd3x

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements