Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: X585 Fuel Leak

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:24 PM
    Thanks

X585 Fuel Leak

Well looks like my X585 is down in the middle of snow season.

The good news is I just completed clearing about a foot of snow and no snow in the long range forecast to speak of. So, time to dig into this as there is a lot of winter to go up here in MN.

At least the leak was easy to spot. Not sure what happened though. It appears to be where the fuel injector connects to the throttle body. Not sure at this point if it is a throttle body issue or an injector issue. Looking in the service manual, I can see there is an O-Ring bouncing over to the parts fiche it looks like there is a cap on the top of the injector and the O-Ring is available.

The pipe isn't too bad at about $20 John Deere Pipe - MIU11423
    The O-Ring is a $1. - M94391

If it is the Throttle Kit will be close to $300. MIA12360

Anyone see a leak like this before?

Last edited by sennister; 01-23-2018 at 07:06 PM.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks
    I would try the o ring and look to see if there's any gaskets to replace when taking things apart.
    X748SE likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Yeah I am thinking the same thing. I am going to grab both O-Rings from the dealer tomorrow. Or at least order them. Not sure how common of a part it is to know if they will have it on hand. I wanted to pick up a couple sheer bolts for the blower anyhow. With the ethanol in fuel now it is hard on rubber bits. Odds are it isn't going to be the throttle assembly. Everything is tight so it isn't like it is bouncing around and not sure how it would crack there. It is mounted pretty firm to the engine. Could be the pipe but again not all that likely. I will replace both while in there. I didn't see anything else that needed to be replaced in the process but I also didn't dive into all the areas. The TM said to pull the radiator. I saw a video on a X485 where a guy was able to pull the injectors (for cleaning) by loosening the fan, taking the throttle assembly nuts off and just sliding it back a bit. That would save me from all the radiator mess.
    X748SE likes this.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Do you have access to non ethanol in your area.Here in WNY it's become quite common.A lot of the premium gas is 91 non ethanol.
    Tom

30" mechanical tiller
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    Turftime 60" lawn roller

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:04 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    Do you have access to non ethanol in your area.Here in WNY it's become quite common.A lot of the premium gas is 91 non ethanol.
    Brands?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    We can find it at some places. I have a couple motorcycles that don't like E10 fuel. It eats up the fuel pressure regulators. So I try and put in Non-Oxygenated when I can find it. The gas station close to work closed and no other source in that town. There is one station near my house that has it marked as Non-oxygenated on the pump though I am not too sure. I say this because with the motorcycles I can tell the difference. MPG numbers are much better on non-oxy and they pull harder. The station went from a co-op to a Holiday station and ever since performance is basically the same as getting gas at other stations which are E10. I stopped in and asked the manager and they claim it is still non-oxygenated but they charge a much higher price for it and I question it. There is another station near by, a Kwik Trip that has non-oxy so the bikes get gas there. They also charge a bit more for it but it seems to be actual non ethanol so it is worth it in the bikes more so when they go in winter storage.

Never have had a problem running the X585 on E10 until now. I am also just speculating that it is an o-ring failure. I haven't ripped the engine apart that far yet but it does make sense. Since getting the Z950R the X585 doesn't see nearly as much use as it is retired from mowing duties. In warmer months it is used about once a week here and there for FEL work but this is the time of year where it sees the most use when we get snow. I think it has a little over 1100 hrs on the clock now and is a first year (2002) X585.

I called the dealer and they don't have any of the o-rings in stock. They ordered a set for me and they will be here Friday. I probably won't be able to pick them up until Monday though. I guess I will tear things down maybe tonight and verify I don't feel the need to order anything else. I don't have a lot of time to mess with it now anyhow. Need to pack for a camping trip with the Cub Scouts.
    X748SE and BigJim55 like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Deere 1025R TLB View Post
    Brands?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    We have local,semi local and national but they market different in areas.Noco which is local,Red Apple out of PA,Marathon,Gulf,and Sunoco are some others.

Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    We can find it at some places. I have a couple motorcycles that don't like E10 fuel. It eats up the fuel pressure regulators. So I try and put in Non-Oxygenated when I can find it. The gas station close to work closed and no other source in that town. There is one station near my house that has it marked as Non-oxygenated on the pump though I am not too sure. I say this because with the motorcycles I can tell the difference. MPG numbers are much better on non-oxy and they pull harder. The station went from a co-op to a Holiday station and ever since performance is basically the same as getting gas at other stations which are E10. I stopped in and asked the manager and they claim it is still non-oxygenated but they charge a much higher price for it and I question it. There is another station near by, a Kwik Trip that has non-oxy so the bikes get gas there. They also charge a bit more for it but it seems to be actual non ethanol so it is worth it in the bikes more so when they go in winter storage.

Never have had a problem running the X585 on E10 until now. I am also just speculating that it is an o-ring failure. I haven't ripped the engine apart that far yet but it does make sense. Since getting the Z950R the X585 doesn't see nearly as much use as it is retired from mowing duties. In warmer months it is used about once a week here and there for FEL work but this is the time of year where it sees the most use when we get snow. I think it has a little over 1100 hrs on the clock now and is a first year (2002) X585.

I called the dealer and they don't have any of the o-rings in stock. They ordered a set for me and they will be here Friday. I probably won't be able to pick them up until Monday though. I guess I will tear things down maybe tonight and verify I don't feel the need to order anything else. I don't have a lot of time to mess with it now anyhow. Need to pack for a camping trip with the Cub Scouts.
    I only run non ethanol in my motorcycles and mowers.It's about 3.00-3.40 a gallon but 5-10 gal. is all I'm getting at a time.
    X748SE and BigJim55 like this.
    Tom

30" mechanical tiller
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    Turftime 60" lawn roller

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I only run non ethanol in my motorcycles and mowers.It's about 3.00-3.40 a gallon but 5-10 gal. is all I'm getting at a time.
    Same for me with the bikes. Increased MPGs also offset some of the premium cost as well.

For small engines (blowers for instance) I have been buying those premixed quarts of fuel. Really expensive per gallon but 2-3 cans is all I use in a year.

For the tractor and Z-Trak. I used a fuel caddy and the Z950R is pretty thirsty so that would increase my cost quite a bit. If the issue is ethanol and I have to replace the O-rings every 16 years, well that isn't that expensive I guess.
    X748SE, BigJim55 and TJR345 like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I got a call from the dealer a few minutes before heading home from work that my parts were in. They are in the town were I work on the way home. I didn't expect them in before I left for the weekend which is why I mentioned I would get them on Monday.

Since I was there I picked up a Home Maintenance Kit as well.

The shortcut video I saw on YouTube worked fine. I was able to take the fan mount bolts out and that gave me more than enough room to move the throttle body back enough to get the injectors out. I looked over the O-rings and sure enough, they were showing signs of dry rot most likely caused by ethanol in the fuel. I used a pick to pull the O-rings off the pipes and they were pretty much falling apart. I cleaned everything up and put it back together with the new O-rings. Before mounting the fan I wanted to pull the fuel filter. I decided to fire it up real quick just to make sure it ran fine with no leaks. It popped right off and ran fine. Pulled the fuel filter and mounted the fan. Then I opened the Home Maintenance Kit to grab the new filter but something didn't look right. Hmm. Look at the label and they gave me a kit for a X575 not the X585.

Oh well. I should have double checked the label on it but he looked it up so I thought he grabbed the right one. I don't need the machine this weekend so not a big deal. I will get it back together on Monday, run it a bit and do the oil change.
    gbnpp05 and TJR345 like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    I got a call from the dealer a few minutes before heading home from work that my parts were in. They are in the town were I work on the way home. I didn't expect them in before I left for the weekend which is why I mentioned I would get them on Monday.

Since I was there I picked up a Home Maintenance Kit as well.

The shortcut video I saw on YouTube worked fine. I was able to take the fan mount bolts out and that gave me more than enough room to move the throttle body back enough to get the injectors out. I looked over the O-rings and sure enough, they were showing signs of dry rot most likely caused by ethanol in the fuel. I used a pick to pull the O-rings off the pipes and they were pretty much falling apart. I cleaned everything up and put it back together with the new O-rings. Before mounting the fan I wanted to pull the fuel filter. I decided to fire it up real quick just to make sure it ran fine with no leaks. It popped right off and ran fine. Pulled the fuel filter and mounted the fan. Then I opened the Home Maintenance Kit to grab the new filter but something didn't look right. Hmm. Look at the label and they gave me a kit for a X575 not the X585.

Oh well. I should have double checked the label on it but he looked it up so I thought he grabbed the right one. I don't need the machine this weekend so not a big deal. I will get it back together on Monday, run it a bit and do the oil change.
    The last service kit I bought had the wrong air filter wrap. Best to open it before leaving the dealership.
    TJR345 likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast