Hydro 165 Not Starting

Thread: Hydro 165 Not Starting

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-27-2014 @ 04:52 PM
    Thanks

Hydro 165 Not Starting

Hey all. Having some problems, hoping someone could help me out.

I picked up an older Hydro 165 last summer. I used it last year. It always started like a champ. I was deployed for the last 6 months, so it sat in my garage the entire time. Having trouble getting it started now. I changed out the battery, thinking that was the problem, but no luck. What could be some sources of problems from it sitting around?

I am also wondering if it it getting fuel to the engine. I have attached a pic of the fuel line/filter to see if it helps. Should this filter container be full of fuel? It doesn't appear that the fuel is flowing all the way thru to the engine. But I am no mechanic, so I am not sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1656.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	998.8 KB 
ID:	31658

I also have this problem (once it gets started) that happens once I try to actually mow. Last summer once it was started and I lower the deck and switch the blades on, once I get moving, the mower would stall out. Any ideas what would cause that?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,560 Posts
    A fuel filter not being full isn't uncommon, but don't worry about it. It's normal to see that on a running tractor.

Pull your spark plug, leaving it plugged into the wire, lean it against the head and have someone try to start the engine. you should see a big fat blue spark. No spark, well that's a different line of troubleshooting.

If you have spark, try dribbling just a bit of gas into the throat of the carburater. If it starts and coughs, then you probably need to remove and do a thorough cleaning of the carb. This is my guess anyway. It's not uncommon at all for the nasty ethanol infested gas we have these days to foul up and clog your carb, even more so if it sits for extended periods of time. Today's ethanol fuels are only good for about 30 days. If you need to clean your carb, make sure to drain the old gas and replace with fresh fuel.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    What is the easiest way to drain the gas? I am thinking that is the problem. I still haven't troubleshot the spark plug...have to get something to pull it out with. I did dribble gas (most likely old) into the Carb, but it wouldn't start.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,560 Posts
    Remove a clamp holding the gas line to whatever is the lowest point in the fuel line, maybe the fuel filter inlet. Be ready with a bucket to catch it.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:04 AM
    Thanks
    The 165 uses the Kawasaki FB540V engine -- here is a lot of information on that engine from the CTM5 manual. Group 30 covers the starter and group 25 covers the ignition system (although rather sparsely, as it does not discuss the igniter.)
    CTM5 k series engine section 40.pdf

Chuck

...OOPS that section above is for the FC engine -- this is for the FB version of the Kawasaki... Sorry for the extra edit.
    CTM5 k series engine section 50.pdf
    Last edited by Chuckv; 08-16-2014 at 12:54 PM.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks! It was actually the spark plug. Replaced it and it starts & runs like a champ!

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements