Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: x738 Bad Spark Plugs

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-10-2019 @ 11:08 PM
    Thanks

x738 Bad Spark Plugs

I've got a John Deere x738 with 60 hours on it. About two weeks ago on start up I could tell it was different. The engine vibrated a lot more and the engine seems to be misfiring. When the engine starts its fine, but about 10 seconds after startup it beings acting this way. It clears itself up after about a minute or two. This does not happen if the engine has already been running and is restarted. The machine only runs on ethanol free gas and is kept in an attached unheated garage.

Things I've done already:
    - oil and oil filter change and used Mobil 1 synthetic 10W-30 (old oil was John Deere version and very black and only in the machine for 50 hours)
    - charged the battery (it was fine though)
    - disconnected the battery and reconnected the battery (to possibly reset any electrical problems)
    - checked hoses and wiring (saw no issues)
    - added Sea Foam (can't hurt)
    - changed fuel filter
    - changed air filter and prefilter
    - changed spark plugs

When I changed the spark plugs I saw they were in terrible shape, completely black and wet (see pics). It's at the dealership now but I am afraid they are going to say nothings wrong. Has anyone experienced anything similar to this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0322.jpg   IMG_0317.jpg   IMG_0319.jpg  
    tj1 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Thanks
    Need to know some things, tractordata says efi, but the engine does have a carb variant, so is this carb or efi, second is the ignition magneto or electronic ignition according to the engine manual from Kawasaki.

These are the places to look: Ignition is not working on that side, or EFI is injecting to much, or valve issues

Ignition: check for spark, bad plug or wire, bad magneto or firing circuitry on that side.
    EFI: Bad injector (stuck open), Bad EFI module, bad connections/grounds.
    Valve issues on that side.

Tractordata list engine as FD750D which acording to the Kawasaki manual is the carb/magneto engine, The EFI engine model number is FD791D and has the EFI and the electronic ignition.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bloodrunsgreen; 01-31-2018 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Additional info

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Thanks
    Spark plugs are best read after the engine has been running for an extended time. Even a properly tuned engine can show some dark plugs if the thing has been started and stopped before warmup a few times.
    What were the conditions of operation prior to removing your plugs?
    boss30264 likes this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks
    With only 60 hours should be under warranty.
    etcallhome likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Your model should be EFI. If the new plugs didn't fix the problem it could be a bad plug wire.
    The old plugs look loaded up from too much fuel. Short run cycles can also do this.

Seeing the dealership already has the tractor. They should be able to sort it out.
    boss30264, tj1 and TJR345 like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

8. Top | #6
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    Do you start the engine at full throttle or at least 3/4? Mine did the same thing and someone here (maybe HD Dude) said to try starting it at full throttle and let it run for a period of time before you throttle down. It worked.. My X738 would load up pretty bad and start spewing black soot and blue smoke starting it at low throttle.. I too changed my plugs, oil (but my oil was not dark at all it looked brand new) gas filter, everything you normally would do at the change of seasons. My plugs never looked like that though. I hope your dealer finds your issue, those are great little machines and worth their weight for sure. You have a lot of smart guys here to lean on for advice. One more thing, let the fuel pressure build up when you turn the key to on until you hear the pump stop then turn the key to start.
    Jeff
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    07-10-2019 @ 11:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the comments. Mine is the fuel injected version. I didn't notice any stalling during the spring/summer/fall. It only started happening when it was cold out, but I do keep mine in the garage. Since both plugs look similar, I would imagine it is a systematic problem though. No plugs should look like that, hopefully I can report back something useful from the dealer. Thanks all.
    tj1 and TJR345 like this.

10. Top | #8
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieLee24 View Post
    Thanks for all the comments. Mine is the fuel injected version. I didn't notice any stalling during the spring/summer/fall. It only started happening when it was cold out, but I do keep mine in the garage. Since both plugs look similar, I would imagine it is a systematic problem though. No plugs should look like that, hopefully I can report back something useful from the dealer. Thanks all.
    I forgot to mention it was during the cold seasons mine did load up not n the warmer months.. And mine is also EFI controlled and garaged but not heated. . Good luck.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    01-10-2019 @ 09:42 AM
    Thanks
    I also have the similar issue with my x738, and stored inside but not heated, yet. It only does it when it is colder, runs rough and smokes for about a minute then runs like a champ. However, I only have 8 hours on it. I previously had an x730 and didn't have this issue, but also had no reason to use it when it was colder out. I just let mine warm up for a couple minutes before using it. Having said that, I am with you all in thinking that these should not spit and sputter on startup. It's EFI, should fire right up and run smooth. Reminds me of a diesel when its cold out.

Also, to my knowledge, the x710 is the only carb engine in the lineup. All the others above that are EFI.

Curious to see what the dealer says about yours. If they find an issue, I'll be taking mine is.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    05-07-2019 @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    My x730 is efi and I don't have any problems with cold start or running

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast