• 1 Post By mycornerofthebarn
  • 2 Post By mycornerofthebarn

Thread: X748 Front lights for plow/snowblower

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-03-2019 @ 05:51 PM
    Thanks

X748 Front lights for plow/snowblower

So I was looking to add additional lights to the front of my X748 and the factory option was over $200. I didn't want to spend that much so I came up with this:

The lights are 40" wide and the uprights are 30" high. The lights themselves are LEDs from Northern Tool and I originally had them on a trailer that I sold. The steel cost me $20 and the lights I consider free as the were sitting in a box for 3 years. I think that's a lot better than $200.

I wanted it to be easy to take off and put on so I decided to leverage the 1-1/4" receiver on the front of the tractor. I created a sleeved adapter so it doesn't interfere with the quick attach hitch. The welds on the nut to hold it in place are ugly, but my tacks broke, and of course on a Sunday I don't have any more 3/8" nuts (or can't find them).

Unfortunately, the receiver on the front of the X748 does not have a bottom so I will make a clamp to eliminate a little wobble. I have a c-clamp on it for testing and it seems OK. If anyone has an idea for this, please let me know.

The lights can easily be removed and and I can easily put them on the back of the tractor or and atv with the receiver insert design. They will work with the plow or snowblower installed, or just on their own. Next steps are to have the frame powder coated. The wires will run in the frame and out a hole right in front of the grill. I'll also add caps to the ends of the tube.

All feedback is appreciated.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mycornerofthebarn For This Useful Post:

North585 (02-04-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Good job.

Them goalposts are a little wide for me. I would make them just wide enough to open the hood without problems. I'd be afraid I would run them into something when the attachments are off.
    etcallhome likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Good job.

Them goalposts are a little wide for me. I would make them just wide enough to open the hood without problems. I'd be afraid I would run them into something when the attachments are off.
    Thanks for the feedback....I debated the width a lot and these land right over the center of the front tires. I will have to get some hours on them without the plow to see if I have any issues.

Cheers!
    mjncad likes this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 03:44 PM
    Thanks
    mycornerofthebarn,

If you are finding too much wobble with your bracket that fits into your front receiver hitch, you might try to weld a couple of very small and fine beads on the section of the bracket that fits into the receiver.

Then grind those beads down just enough so that you have a snug fit. Don't know if will work or not but maybe worth a try.
    mjncad likes this.

Roger

Current Machine: 2012 X748SE, 60" 7-Iron Deck, 45 Loader, 54" Blower, Curtis Hard Cab
    Former Machines: JD 140 H3, JD 345,
    Ford 1710, Ferguson 2085
    YouTube Channel: --> X748SE

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by X748SE View Post
    mycornerofthebarn,

If you are finding too much wobble with your bracket that fits into your front receiver hitch, you might try to weld a couple of very small and fine beads on the section of the bracket that fits into the receiver.

Then grind those beads down just enough so that you have a snug fit. Don't know if will work or not but maybe worth a try.
    Thanks X748SE. I did give that a shot, but the slop seems to be that the insert can tilt down at the back once it is inserted. I am thinking of getting a u-bolt and a piece of plate to pull it back up. I'm also hoping the powder coat will add a few mils of thickness.
    mjncad likes this.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mycornerofthebarn View Post
    Thanks X748SE. I did give that a shot, but the slop seems to be that the insert can tilt down at the back once it is inserted. I am thinking of getting a u-bolt and a piece of plate to pull it back up. I'm also hoping the powder coat will add a few mils of thickness.
    Got a picture of the problem? Sounds like JD got cheep and didn't use a square tube like most hitches. I'm interested to see what you can come up with. The receiver to hitch tube on my Wrangler rattles like crazy. Mostly when the trailer is empty. A good load seems to keep it from rocking and rolling so much.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Got a picture of the problem? Sounds like JD got cheep and didn't use a square tube like most hitches. I'm interested to see what you can come up with. The receiver to hitch tube on my Wrangler rattles like crazy. Mostly when the trailer is empty. A good load seems to keep it from rocking and rolling so much.
    It's a little hard to see, but the bottom of the receiver is open. I grabbed a u-bolt and a piece of plate with a nut welded to it which will keep the slop out of the insert.

Here are some pics of the setup finished:

H-D dealer dude and TJR345 like this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks
    Looks great.Need a night pic.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader