445 no green light and no spark.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 445 no green light and no spark.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 08:03 PM
    Thanks
    Did water pump, oil pump and governor. Cam is already steel.

Now I have no spark and green led is not on.
    PTO off, seat switch jumped (has power), brake safety works. It will not crank unless pressed in. All connectors hooked up.

I followed manual. I have NO power to purple PTO wire at plug in. Where do I go from here. Was trying to figure relays out. But ran out of time

Any help would be great, this is my first complicated mower. I am use to older mowers and computer controlled cars.

Tks
    Last edited by 4044M; 02-07-2018 at 11:56 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 07:05 PM
    Thanks
    it's been a while since i've worked on one
    but if i recall, there could be issues with that circuit board
    with the relays on it. i'm not sure if they will pull off
    to switch them around to test.
    i do think i remember that module was sold combined with
    the key switch, and can be prone to failure

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:21 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 4044M View Post
    Did water pump, oil pump and governor. Cam is already steel.

Now I have no spark and green led is not on.
    PTO off, seat switch jumped (has power), brake safety works. It will not crank unless pressed in. All connectors hooked up.

I followed manual. I have NO power to purple PTO wire at plug in. Where do I go from here. Was trying to figure relays out. But ran out of time

Any help would be great, this is my first complicated mower. I am use to older mowers and computer controlled cars.

Tks
    What do you mean "It will not crank unless pressed in", You said did water pump, check electrical down by starter, those are fuse-able links, they can break. Any other electrical connection that where disturbed?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    The brake pedal has to be pressed down for starter to work. So I take it the brake safety switch is good.
    I will trace fuseable links from starter
    But they were not touched. Though the battery cable runs directly to that same post I think. Maybe something happened tapping cover back on. So who knows.

Good idea.
    Last edited by 4044M; 02-07-2018 at 09:51 PM.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Yes, the fuse-able links and the positive battery cable all connect at the same point on starter. Double check battery posts and battery cables for corrosion.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok. Traced wires. Fuseable links good at fuse box/relays/board.

Ignition switch working.
    12 volts at coils.
    Pulse coil ohmed within specs.
    I have another connector jumped under seat. No power key off, on, PTO pulled. What’s it go to? Tried to find on schematic these color wire connector. Will look again.

Is the primary coils shut off by shutting ground or removing battery voltage? No spark even key shut off.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok, what is the serial #, there are 3 schematics for the 445, one for under 31,361, one for 31,362-70000, 70001 +, there are changes in wiring and key switch/ignition interlock board components (located in right hand side of pedestal) and design. So, I want to be looking at the right one.

If everything is right when you turn key the green LED on the board should turn on, also the fuel pump should turn on, and the fuel shutoff solenoid should snap open, dash should come on driven by EFI/Engine computer in left hand side of pedestal.

Main check is the area for the key switch/ignition safety interlock board, once you get a green LED to light, then you move to the ignition section, if it cranks, but does not start.
    Last edited by bloodrunsgreen; 02-09-2018 at 12:32 PM.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Thanks
    I'm not familiar with this model.

Many models have a safety interlock tied in with the PTO does the 445? If so do you know if it kills the machine or just the PTO? For instance the X585 which is just a couple years newer than your 445 will kick out the PTO if you back up. I had a failure of the switch on the reverse foot pedal. It thought that I was open all the time when it should only be open when backing. In my case the tractor ran fine, I just couldn't activate the PTO until I found it. I don't think they would kill the machine if you tried to back up with the PTO on so that might not be it, however the PTO switch is normally part of the interlock which is why I bring it up.

I am not sure what you are saying here.

I have another connector jumped under seat. No power key off, on, PTO pulled. What’s it go to?
    I get that the seat is jumpered. That is a good thing to try because on my X585 if I get off the seat without the parking brake set it shuts down the engine. What does your PTO switch look like. I know on my fathers older 317 it was a toggle switch. My X585 is a big switch with a bunch of wires some of them tie into the safety interlock as I mentioned. It is possible you have a bad PTO switch. If I could see a wiring schematic I might be able to tell you what to jumper or at least what pins to test with an ohm meter to see if the switch has failed. You did mention the engine cranks based on the parking brake so I would tend to agree that this switch is fine.

Without a schematic we are kind of grasping at straws.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    It kills the engine, has since the early 70's

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Here is PTO switch.
    Other pic. Blue jumper is seat. What’s the other for. Looked around last night couldn’t find spot for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16AB2A5F-654E-464C-9703-E5E28C20626A_1518236020021.jpg   B124EC3D-4C76-4312-BA0A-B7D99BBD925B_1518236065525.jpg  

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast