Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Hygard low viscosity alternative

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-01-2014 @ 11:27 AM
    Thanks

Hygard low viscosity alternative

I just picked up 2 gallons at $25 dollars a gallon and I wanted to check here to see if there was a good cheaper alternative before I put it in? Any help is appreciated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,895 Times in 2,871 Posts
    Use what you just bought and sleep better at night. Pretty cheap insurance considering how often you will need to change it.
    DRobinson, farmgirl19, k91 and 3 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:21 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Use what you just bought and sleep better at night. Pretty cheap insurance considering how often you will need to change it.
    Good advice.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    08-07-2019 @ 03:39 PM
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if there is anything that meets the J20D spec, there a few options that meet the J20C spec.

Since your in Kentucky you might get away with that J20C spec rated alternative brands.

I'm going to direct you to this post which lists some alternatives, though they may not be cheaper:

Substitute for John Deere Hy-Gard J20D? | Hydraulic Fluids | Bob Is The Oil Guy

If you are still under warranty you will probably will be best serve sticking with the Deere stuff.
    JD 1023E
    KK XB Tiller, XB subsoiler

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kabic For This Useful Post:

arlen (08-28-2014)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Thanks
    There has been a lot of discussion here about HyGuard. I asked the very same question you did. For what its worth, there are other quality brands out there sold at other dealerships like New Holland, Massey Ferguson & Kubota. I was going to buy my HYGuard from New Holland who has convinced me that my JD would not get a tummy ache on New Holland's formula & that it was 100% compatable.

However, as stated here in this thread, it is better in this case to stick with the JD stuff which is what I did in the end as well. However I fully undersand your asking because I too find the prices at the JD dealer to be freaking out of line insane. That dealer who is charging you $25. a gallon should really explain that to you. Im down here in SC & the local thief I go to charged me $18. per gallon. There can't be that much of a regional difference in price???? Maybe next time you & I should ask our respective dealers to give us at least one kiss before he sc..w's us.

9. Top | #6
    k91

Last Online
    02-26-2016 @ 06:51 AM
    Thanks
    Ditto to all the above. Like maddog said that seems high for a gallon I haven't bought any for maybe 6 months now but it was NOT over $20 a gallon.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:16 PM
    Thanks
    Just over $20 a gallon here in west Texas

3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    My father inlaw picked it up and told me the cost later, I put it in already I'm too OCD with my stuff not to use it. I am not finished with the dealer. I will let them know I will not purchase anything there again. I am really kicking myself for not checking to see if I could have added it to my order on GFP. I guess I just needed to vent.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Thanks
    I certainly do not know what JD policy is when it comes to dealer prices. Im sure the dealers are dictated to as to how low they can sell tractors & allied implements for. They also may tell them the top end price on any equipment as well so that dealers can have fair competition with each other.
    But when it comes to maintenance line items it appears that however the dealer can manipulate the customer, it's fine with JD parent ship. I guess they figure it will keep the dealer happy & give them some ability to run their business like they were really in charge of it. I've said this before. We are not JD's customers, The dealers are their customers & that's who they serve & protect.

And for my fellow members who do not feel over paying 20-30-40% more for an item is no big deal, then please remember that on everything else you buy and add that up. Maybe I can set up a retirement fund here among the retired members & share the wealth. Who would like to be first to donate.
    Last edited by Maddog; 08-28-2014 at 07:17 PM.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Heck I guess I can't complain too much I just checked on GFP to see how bad I got ripped and it's $22.51 on there, I will figure out a good alternative for next go round. I guess the increasing number of guys running it in their race car transmissions like I used to have made JD really proud!

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast