Mower deck wheels

Thread: Mower deck wheels

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-31-2014 @ 10:02 PM
    Thanks

Mower deck wheels

Hello,

One of the wheels on my LT160's 42" deck broke off, metal arm and all. Ran over it and bent a blade. Anyway, I took the deck off to replace the blade and also wire brush it and get a new coat of yellow on it. Do I need those wheels to get proper use and an even cut, or are they there to keep the deck from getting hung up when it's on the lowest setting? If I so need those wheels, I need the arm welded back on and a new plastic wheel for it. I don't have a welder. Not looking forward to shoving it in the trunk of a car.

Thanks for the help

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:04 AM
    Thanks
    Drew,

The gauge wheels on a deck are not supposed to touch the ground under normal circumstances. If you or a previous owner were using the gauge wheels to set the height of cut for your grass that would account for the metal fatigue and the breakage. Here is a picture of a deck on a 1002 318 that I bought with under 1000 hours on the hour meter -- it was owned by a church and operated by 'volunteers' that had never read the manual.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1379.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	32251 ...obviously it was not cleaned very often either.

Here is a deck operator's manual, this one is for the 46 inch cut one but the gauge wheel setting is all the same idea.
    OM-M78995 46 inch MidMountMower.pdf

Hope this helps...

Chuck

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Wait… So if, under normal circumstances, those wheels never even touch the ground, do I need to even bother well bring it back on to get a nice even cut?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Drew,

The gauge wheels are functioning as "anti-scalp" wheels and keep the deck from cutting too close on eneven ground, berms, etc. As you can see from this illustration taken from the PDF operator's manual file attached in my last post above, they "MUST NOT RIDE ON GROUND AND SUPPORT MOWER WEIGHT"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anti-scalp wheel adjustment 1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	32253

Adjusting your mowing deck for an even cut would be covered in the appropriate manual for your year and model. If your tractor and deck are recent enough, you might be able to access those instructions on the Deere literature site...

Chuck

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    OK Drew,

I took a minute and found what you need to read to adjust the 42 inch deck on your LT160. Deere lets you read these manuals at this link: OMM152793_H4

...And to make it even easier for you to archive the information -- I have created this PDF of that adjustment section...
    LT150, LT160 and LT180 deck adjustment.pdf

Let us know if you have any questions...

Chuck

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Wow thank you so much that really explains their use. I am gonna wire brush and refinish my deck and get the arm for the wheel welded back ok the deck. Probly gonna add some steel for support. Would you say the deck is like 10 guage steel or so? I also need to track down one of those wheels. I ran mine over when it busted off. The problem is my yard has so many uneven spots.

I only have 1/3 acre, and the summer here is pretty much over... I am in north west New York and between being just barely zone 5 and having the lake, I already have leaves in my yard. I'll probly be using my mtd push mower for the rest of the year

I am grateful for the help. I'm sure I'll be on here more!

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements