X7 series w/snowblower maintenance tip to make your life a bit more easy.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: X7 series w/snowblower maintenance tip to make your life a bit more easy.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 07:52 PM
    Thanks

X7 series w/snowblower maintenance tip to make your life a bit more easy.

I have a X728 with a 47" two stage snow blower. An awesome set up once coupled together. Add a cab and you really have a comfortable snow machine. I can go on for hours about the benefits of this set up. I can luckily think of a few minuses. Really only one and it is an important one. Checking fluid levels. Since you cannot open the hood easily. I wish John Deere would offer a hood option that would have access doors to the oil dipstick and the coolant tank. I have found that a simple furniture dolly makes this task just a touch easier. I place the dolly under the blower, let it rest on it, pop the pins, hydraulic down all the way then uncouple the PTO. No more disconnecting the hydraulic lines and removing the snoot pitch control cable. I just pivot the blower to the side so I can either tip the hood or remove it completely to service. Once done and I do a double check (did I put the cap back on the coolant tank?) I'm ready to lower the hood and begin replacing the lower glass and the shield that blocks radiator airflow inside the cab. Once all that is done I just pivot the snow blower back in place and let the lift do its job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7410.jpg   IMG_6143.jpg   IMG_6144.jpg  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to UnionSchnauzer For This Useful Post:

North585 (02-19-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You have to go through all of that just to check the oil? Yikes!
    mjncad, UnionSchnauzer and stg454 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Yeah, but the pain is soon forgotten when the heat is on and the radio is jammin'

mjncad and TJR345 like this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UnionSchnauzer View Post
    Yeah, but the pain is soon forgotten when the heat is on and the radio is jammin'
    I know... :-( Your in there all hot 'n sweaty while I'm enjoying the ni-ni-nice.. fr-fr-fresh air. Brrrr.. :-)
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    06-16-2019 @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    Yep. The old style 3-part "hood"was better. I hate the new hood design.
    UnionSchnauzer likes this.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    I'm a little confused. I don't have a cab but I do have the 47" snow blower and I check the oil without removing anything. I lower the blower to the workshop floor and just raise the hood.
    John Deere X758 with a 60" HC MMM deck and a 47" Front mount Blower.
    John Deere 17p cart

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Thanks
    A quick diversion if I may. Why does Cozy Cab block off the radiator inlets?
    I have more ideas than ambition.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 08:13 AM
    Thanks
    I have found those furniture dollies quite handy. As a matter of fact, I may need to get me a few more of some different sizes. I'll buy them when they are on sale at Northern.
    Mike

2018 1025R w/120R FEL
    54" Quickhitch snowblower (JD)
    54" Quickhitch blade (JD) with Artillian wings
    54" JD MMM
    Frontier RC 2048
    Titan 36" forks
    53" Heavy Hitch tooth bar
    MCS 20 w/ Power Flow
    Heavy Hitch
    I-Match - JD
    16 - 42# suitcase weights (JD)
    3 pt sprayer (Northern Tool)
    3 pt plug aerator (DR Equipment),
    54" Quichitch (DL) de-thatcher (JD)
    Ken's Bolt-on-Hooks
    Stihl chainsaws, brushcutter, blower, trimmer

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    05-02-2019 @ 11:10 AM
    Thanks

X7 series w/snowblower maintenance tip

I'm with RonPol.

I am not sure why you have to remove the blower. I also have a X728 with 47 blower and Curtis cab.

The only thing I have to do is raise the windshield and open the hood. As long as the blower is resting on the skid shoes I have lots of room to open the hood and check oil and fluids.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPol View Post
    I'm a little confused. I don't have a cab but I do have the 47" snow blower and I check the oil without removing anything. I lower the blower to the workshop floor and just raise the hood.
    The Cozy Cab fits over the hood. It does not allow it to open. To tip the hood, I have to remove the cabs lower corner glass on both sides. They pop off pretty easily. Then I need to loosen a shield that wraps around the area under the steeling wheel that blocks the radiator fan from pulling air from inside the cab. That requires an allen wrench and a box end wrench. Then you need to loosen the other side which is velcro'ed to tractor and to the fabric boot that seals the intake on the brake pedal side. It covers the brake pedal itself and the air intake on that side. You need to just loosen this metal shield so the hood has a little more room to move. Then you can tip it up while holding the windshield open. It does not take as long as it sounds but it is not a minute job either.

Rotating the snowblower away makes getting the hood fully open/off much easier. I used to just drop the snowblower and back away. Besides a little hydraulic oil on the ground and/or your gloves, no big deal. Deere makes the attachments fairly easy to remove. The cab windshield and hood tilting is one thing. Trying to hold the hood open and the windshield at the same time is another. Taking the hood off and letting the windshield rest in its normal position is much safer. I also installed a remove snout pitch controller. Those do not have a quick disconnect. You have to wrench one end off or the other and feed the cable through the space along the cab frame and footboard if you remove the T-Handle end. Two bolts on the snout to free the cable and then let it drop and dangle. Who's got time for that? The cable is bundled with the loops on the frame (not shown in the pictures) with the hydraulic lines. So it's not real easy to deal with once it is in place and looking neat and clean. Of course, without the cab the snout pitch is not that big of a deal.

isaac
    Last edited by UnionSchnauzer; 02-19-2018 at 01:24 PM.
    mjncad likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast