Like Tree8Likes

Thread: LED lights, laser and backup camera on 997 Z Trak

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:38 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 945 Posts

LED lights, laser and backup camera on 997 Z Trak

LED lights coming in Friday for 997 Z Trac, will probably begin installation.

Also thinking about installing a red dot laser to throw a red dot about 6 to 8 feet
    ahead to keep me in line with the edge of the previous cut.
    With the speed, it's easy to stray not getting a complete cut or not cutting enough.
    Think with a laser as a guide, I should be able to maintain a 68 to 70 inch cut
    with the 72 inch deck.
    Figure with the dot (nickel to quarter size) 6-8 feet ahead, it should give
    more time to adjust any drifting before the cutting deck.
    Any thoughts??

Also thinking of installing a rear view camera on it.
    Camera mounted on ROP and 7 inch monitor mounted center
    ahead of foot plate.
    Any thoughts on that crazy idea???
    NEWT likes this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    Strong move on the LED's

Laser is a good idea, especially if you could find a 'fan' shaped beam vs. a dot.

The back-up camera maaaaayyy be a bit much...... but I should be that LAST guy on this forum to criticize borderline unnecessary, but fun, projects.

-J.
    felixm22 likes this.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Strong move on the LED's

Laser is a good idea, especially if you could find a 'fan' shaped beam vs. a dot.

The back-up camera maaaaayyy be a bit much...... but I should be that LAST guy on this forum to criticize borderline unnecessary, but fun, projects.

-J.
    Once I get my LED lights mounted, I'll probably experiment with the laser.
    Have several laser levels which I can experiment with to see if it's feasible
    and useful.
    Really would like a rear view option with it, think with regular rear view
    mirrors, it would be hard to find a convenient mounting place on the Z Trak
    that would do any good.
    I like to know what's behind me and the old neck and back don't swivel as good as they used to.

There are several camera systems that would fill the bill, especially the wireless
    type meant for RV's and 18 wheelers.
    They can be run continuously, but they are a bit pricey, around the $300
    neighborhood.
    Neil

Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:21 AM
    Thanks
    Without a cab to filter out the glare, the camera and monitor will be useless. I have a canopy with a 10" monitor and cameras, and the glare off the monitor makes the image useless except on very cloudy days or at night when the infrared LED's on the camera come on.

A backup camera is a great idea....but.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mjncad For This Useful Post:

Old Cajun (09-11-2014)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    Without a cab to filter out the glare, the camera and monitor will be useless. I have a canopy with a 10" monitor and cameras, and the glare off the monitor makes the image useless except on very cloudy days or at night when the infrared LED's on the camera come on.

A backup camera is a great idea....but.
    Yup, you were right about that.
    Did some checking and glare is a big problem in that type of application.
    Even some manufacturers don't recommend trying it.
    Also learned that any dust on the monitor screen increases the glare problem, making
    it a lot, lot worse.
    On an open cab/no cab arrangement like the Z Trak, that's a killer right there.

Oh well, seemed like a good idea off the top of my head, better to bounce and idea around
    than bounce money out of my wallet on something that won't work.

Will try to figure some way to put a regular rearview mirror on it where it will do some
    good and not appear too hideous.
    Have two Harley rearview mirrors a buddy gave me when he changed out the ones
    on his bike.
    Round chrome type and they look brand new, but where to mount them???
    mjncad likes this.
    Neil

9. Top | #6
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    Well, let's not give up so easily...........

Maybe you can get a camera that will feed a wearable screen like google glass???!!!! Oakley Airwave Goggles would be great too as they'd keep the dust out of your eyes.....!! Now I've spent more than your 300$ budget, sorry.

-J.
    mjncad likes this.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Well, let's not give up so easily...........

Maybe you can get a camera that will feed a wearable screen like google glass???!!!! Oakley Airwave Goggles would be great too as they'd keep the dust out of your eyes.....!! Now I've spent more than your 300$ budget, sorry.

-J.
    Haven't given up totally, 3M makes a see through monitor shield that supposedly helps the glare situation, some
    folks have said that a good pair of polarized sunglasses helps.
    No budget, don't mind spending money on it, but it has to work.
    But every outfit I've talked to says keeping the monitor face and also camera lens free from dust is a must to prevent glare, could
    be tough to do running around cutting grass and stirring up dust.
    mjncad likes this.
    Neil

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    What mirror like the rear view mirror on a school bus, the long rectangle type. Attach 2 supports to the top of the ROPS going forward to the mirror. That way you could look up and see what is behind you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by felixm22 View Post
    What mirror like the rear view mirror on a school bus, the long rectangle type. Attach 2 supports to the top of the ROPS going forward to the mirror. That way you could look up and see what is behind you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Don't know about the looks of that type of hookup with the humongous mirrors.
    Was going to pull it out of the tractor barn and see how the small motorcycle mirrors (4 inch round) would work in
    different positions, but we had rain all afternoon, still raining and thundering in fact.
    Just a minor thing, but I think it would be handy, not really a necessity though.
    Neil

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    02-28-2019 @ 01:30 PM
    Thanks
    I have a dust cloud that is right behind me all the time on my 925a. I just gave to make sure I'm ahead of it or my allergies go nuts. The decks on these things spin stupid fast and really stir it up. I don't think a display would have a chance. $.02.

I do want to put some lights on mine though. I also think that unless you're always mowing at night you wont even be able to see a lazer. It is pretty easy to get used to making a straight line. It just comes with practice. I bet i easily do a 55" cut with my 60" 7iron pro.

Jim
    mjncad likes this.
    '11 3005 4wd R4s w/300 & 60" Std w/Pirahna tb, Artillian 36" forks, Custom 83" SnowBear front blade, Frontier RB2060 blade, King Kutter TG-G-60 tiller and RFM-72 mower, Spee-Co Model-65 phd, Fimco LG-40-3PT sprayer, Tarter SUBY and TMY, Agri-Fab 24x48LR lawn roller & John Deere BW15073 and 6x42lb weights.
    '12 ZTrak Pro 925A-EFi w/60" 7-Iron, AgriFab SmartLink w/(aerator/dethacher/roller), 130lb Spreader & 350lb Poly Cart.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast