• 2 Post By Ray_PA
  • 2 Post By jgayman

Thread: Mower deck gear lube

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    04-18-2018 @ 07:06 AM
    Thanks

Mower deck gear lube

Now here's a new one for me. Stored the mower deck up on edge for the winter, sitting on it's trailing edge side. Was checking things now that weather is slowly warming and see gear lube/oil pooling on the floor. It's right under the drive box (the gear box where the rock shaft connects). Significant enough that I'll need to add whatever lube is required before using.

Curious if anyone else has seen this? I didn't see anything after searching the forum.

The deck is the 54HC on an X738. Next winter I'll store on the leading edge (the deck, not the tractor).
    Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:16 PM
    Thanks
    It probably came out of the vent plug. The vent plug is normally on top when the deck is in it's normal horizontal position. So yes you will need to check level in it before using it. Next time you store it, you'll have to figure out what to do. Some vents are not easy to remove and place a temp plug in. Then you have to remember to put it back in befor the next mowing season.
    Zebrafive and TJR345 like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:22 PM
    Thanks
    The gear oil is most likely leaking out the breather on the top of the gear box. This breather has a check valve in it so it usually will not leak although the check valves are not always perfectly sealed so that is why the gear oil will slowly leak out over time.

Some remove the breather and install a pipe plug to prevent the leak. If you do this, just remember to put the breather back in prior to use.
    Zebrafive and PJR832 like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 1,220 Posts
    The manual recommends:

• GL-5 GEAR LUBRICANT®—SAE 80W-90

Zebrafive and PJR832 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    04-18-2018 @ 07:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks, guys! I saw the breather, but thought it was coming out from around the shaft. I'll clean everything off and verify.
    Dave

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 09:49 PM
    Thanks
    Mine did the same thing when I stored it for the winter. I asked the question here and was told that it does happen.
    2017 1025R
    H120 FEL
    54D Autoconnect Mower
    14bu Material Collection System
    Ballast Box

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements