Ran the fuel dry. Best way to restart?
Results 1 to 5 of 5
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By mdmasters75
  • 1 Post By H-D dealer dude

Thread: Ran the fuel dry. Best way to restart?

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 08:47 AM
    Location
    middle TN
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Ran the fuel dry. Best way to restart?

    265, Kaw 540V engine

    I ran the gas tank dry a month or two ago. I've since added fresh fuel but don't want to crank the starter until it blows up. (I've already tried for a little while but understand that if you run the starter for more than about 30 seconds it could be damaged as per Deere documentation.)

    Can the fuel pump suck fuel from a thousand miles away sitting in the tank, or should I give it some relief by disconnecting the fuel filter and manually filling that up first?

    Wondering if when it sputters up, the fuel pump can pump fast enough to pull from the tank before the carb bowl dries up again?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    mdmasters75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:11 AM
    Location
    US
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deckeda View Post
    265, Kaw 540V engine

    I ran the gas tank dry a month or two ago. I've since added fresh fuel but don't want to crank the starter until it blows up. (I've already tried for a little while but understand that if you run the starter for more than about 30 seconds it could be damaged as per Deere documentation.)

    Can the fuel pump suck fuel from a thousand miles away sitting in the tank, or should I give it some relief by disconnecting the fuel filter and manually filling that up first?

    Wondering if when it sputters up, the fuel pump can pump fast enough to pull from the tank before the carb bowl dries up again?
    I'm assuming the 265 is carburated. If so you can take off the air cleaner and dump a little bit of gas down there, it should fire for a few seconds. Repeat as necessary.

    Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Tomfive, Marlin and deckeda like this.

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Location
    Lehigh Valley PA
    Posts
    3,228
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 201 Times in 195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmasters75 View Post
    I'm assuming the 265 is carburated. If so you can take off the air cleaner and dump a little bit of gas down there, it should fire for a few seconds. Repeat as necessary.

    Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    After removing the air filter. You can spray a little carb cleaner or starting fluid into the carb. Spritz in a little and crank it over. You can keep giving it shots of spray until the pump fills the bowl. Then it should run on it's own.

    The way pulse fuel pumps operate they don't work very well until the engine is running. After priming it you should be good to go.
    Tomfive likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 08:47 AM
    Location
    middle TN
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    OK, sounds like I had the right notion about this, then. Thanks all!

  7. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Location
    Lehigh Valley PA
    Posts
    3,228
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 201 Times in 195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deckeda View Post
    OK, sounds like I had the right notion about this, then. Thanks all!
    Just be careful dumping liquid gas into the carb intake. Add to much and you can hydro lock the engine.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

  8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •