Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GREEN DIESEL

Thread: 445 weight ballast limit?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-28-2017 @ 06:23 PM
    Thanks

445 weight ballast limit?

Eventually I plan to get a 3pt and a 48" bb. Just wondering if there is an issue with loading her up. I'm thinking 6 suitcase weights 2 wheel weights and filled tires? I would use this same setup for snow removal. Any input much appreciated again!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    01-22-2016 @ 02:12 PM
    Thanks
    So your at 500-600 pounds roughly?
    I've seen 445's with much more weight than that.
    What's a loader weigh? 5-600 pounds?

I have a 455 with 3pt and heavy hitch. No loader. I have 8 42# weights and a pair of 83# each wheel weights that I plan to use for snow this year.
    Plus the weight of the 3pt, rear quick hitch, and Heavy Hitch which look to be about 30# each. That's 592# plus my heavy butt. I'll be carrying close to 900# just to plow snow.

I've seen 445's on line with front end loaders that have rear iron ballast boxes loaded with concrete and about 14 hanging weights plus double wheel weights. I'd bet they are carrying over 1000#.

What to use as ballast depends on the weight of the loader plus whatever you might pick up. I don't think the tractor would have any issue carrying 1000# as ballast.

The bigger question to me is what can the tires handle?
    Tjc50 likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    11-28-2017 @ 06:23 PM
    Thanks
    Sounds good to me . Agree with the tires. One thing I don't understand is I had quick attach brackets bolted on the rear with spring loaded pins . Thought for sure that would make hanging weights effortless until I grabbed the rear weight bar. Had to remove quick attach. So wondering now what the point of quick attach is? Also when I get my 3 pt high are there any brackets that allow me to attach a weight bracket , spreader, or sprayer while having 3 pt attached? I can see swapping out all the time would get annoying. Thanks for input!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    01-22-2016 @ 02:12 PM
    Thanks
    I just noticed you said BB. I was thinking you were countering a front loader. With just a bb, you shouldn't need all that ballast.
    Most likely, you'll only be able to run wheel weights and liquid in tires while using a bb. The 3pt will interfere with the non-3pt weight bracket.

Look into John Deere I match or Harbor Freight quick hitch.
    John Deere iMatch Quick-Hitch LVB25976 | Mutton Power Equipment - Fort Wayne, IN

You can buy attachments that will adapt to the 3pt quick hitch or make your own. A BB would adapt as well.

Are you going with a stock JD cat O or a limited Cat 1?
    I installed a Reugg Cat 1 limited and am very happy with it.

What kind of attachments are you planning on using besides a sprayer, weights, and spreader?
    Are you planning on using the bb for snow removal too? I couldn't imagine all that looking over my shoulder.
    Last edited by GREEN DIESEL; 09-19-2014 at 09:34 PM.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements