Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Need opinion on PTO generator with X750

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-12-2019 @ 09:28 PM
    Thanks

Need opinion on PTO generator with X750

Hi all,

I'm considering getting one of these 15kw generators from Agri-Supply that has a 3 point hitch frame included:
    PTO Driven Generator, Farm Generator, Generator | Agri Supply, 74598

I would like to be able to use it with my 3520 or X750 depending on the circumstance. I know I would only be able to use about ~9kw with the X750 due to the 18HP PTO, but I could get the full 15kw with the 3520.

My X750 currently doesn't have rear PTO or 3 point installed. I am wondering if I really need the 3 point hitch, or if I could use the 3520 to move the generator in place, then hook up the X750 to the generator that's sitting on its frame. Seems like as long as the generator wasn't vibrating and "walking" itself away from the tractor it would work fine. Any thoughts?
    Deere 3520, 300cx loader 4-in-1 bucket, 485 BH w/ thumb, Artillian forks, Frontier BB2060, Tarter 6' rake, Caroni TM1900BSC
    Deere Gator TE
    Deere X750

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,560 Posts
    If you had a way to prevent movement of either generator or tractor, I don't see an issue. Perhaps you can come up with an anchoring system for the generator, use the parking brake and chock the wheels on the tractor. Farmers have done this for years and years.
    rgd likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. I could use some sand bags to make sure the generator doesn't move around.
    Deere 3520, 300cx loader 4-in-1 bucket, 485 BH w/ thumb, Artillian forks, Frontier BB2060, Tarter 6' rake, Caroni TM1900BSC
    Deere Gator TE
    Deere X750

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-07-2019 @ 09:24 PM
    Thanks
    Have you looked into the rear 3 point hitch or PTO attachment for your x750? I bought my x758 with the intention of putting both on later, but haven't had a need for it yet. I think I may do the 3 point hitch just so I have some rear hydraulics to use for projects I have in mind.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    03-28-2016 @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    You could just mount the genny on a frame with a tongue (like a trailer) and just keep it hitched to the drawbar if you have no other use for a 3pth. As someone has already said farmers have been "securing" implements like gennys and silage blowers to the ground and backing a tractor up to the implement without being hitched for as long as I can remember, just have to be certain nothing moves or its gonna get noisy and expensive quick!

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 6shooter View Post
    Have you looked into the rear 3 point hitch or PTO attachment for your x750? I bought my x758 with the intention of putting both on later, but haven't had a need for it yet. I think I may do the 3 point hitch just so I have some rear hydraulics to use for projects I have in mind.
    Yes, checked price on both at a few online parts dealers. The PTO is more expensive, but easier to install than the 3 point hitch. Both would be required for something like a rear PTO driven tiller or finish mower, but for a drawbar-attached or stationary implement only the PTO would be needed. The 3 point hitch won't give you rear hydraulic connections if that's what you are looking for.
    arlen likes this.
    Deere Gator TE
    Deere X750

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    07-07-2019 @ 09:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jvgillow View Post
    Yes, checked price on both at a few online parts dealers. The 3 point hitch won't give you rear hydraulic connections if that's what you are looking for.
    Remember the prices? I seem to recall $800 and change for the pto, but can't remember what the salesman told me for the 3 pt hitch setup when I bought it a year and a half ago. And yeah, I didn't mean hydraulic connections, I meant just having hydraulic function in the rear is what I want to get.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    06-01-2018 @ 07:10 PM
    North Carolina, Confederate States of America
    Thanks
    Where are you wanting to use this generator? If your going to run it for large amounts of time you have to keep an eye on temps because you can blow the motor. If you want it to give you power for like tools and things that'd be ok. But for running anything for an extended amount of time i'd get a dedicated generator with safety cutoffs. Thats just my 2 cents on it. But yes if you want to mount it somewhere and run it off the x750 thats fine just make sure it is very securely mounted. If not the pto with jerk the entire generator around and possibly tear it up.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    08-08-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks

Generator PTO vs stand alone

Go with a stand alone!!
    We got hit by a tornado on July 1, 2011
    Generator ran almost 4 days, you do NOT want to do that to your tractor!!
    If I blew it up, I would have been out $400.00 (used 5500 watt generator).
    Think what it would cost to replace motor on your tractor....
    I needed the tractor to clear the debris, etc.
    Just my experience & opinion.
    cheesetrain, DRobinson and rgd like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-10-2018 @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    I have a whole house generator. IMHO the best way to go. There is no way I want to go out side when the power goes out. 5-10 seconds our lights come back on with generator power. Have a 1000 gal propane tank. Should run for a while!
    Matt

NRA Life Member

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast