Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Weighted tires on an X380?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 08:38 AM
    Thanks

Weighted tires on an X380?

Howdy, I bought a new X380 last summer and was considering adding rv/marine antifreeze to the rear wheels. The reason being I wanted to help smooth out our lawn plus gain a bit of traction and stability. The machine has the Kanzaki K58 transaxle.

What are the thoughts on the extra load on the trans axle? Will weighted tires cause premature wear and tear on the ole girl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:43 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
    Howdy, I bought a new X380 last summer and was considering adding rv/marine antifreeze to the rear wheels. The reason being I wanted to help smooth out our lawn plus gain a bit of traction and stability. The machine has the Kanzaki K58 transaxle.

What are the thoughts on the extra load on the trans axle? Will weighted tires cause premature wear and tear on the ole girl?
    Adding antifreeze to the tires should add somewhere around 46 lbs. per tire. You could get 50 lbs. per tire with an iron wheel weight. I doubt the extra weight will do much to smooth the lawn unless your ground is really soft. I don't think you have anything to worry about with extra load or wear on the transaxle. Adding weight to the tires is less stress on the drive train than adding weight to the chassis.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks
    Howdy,

The answer is in your owner's manual. For what it's worth, I would have thought it would have been okay. However, it appears it is a BAD IDEA!!! So, don't do it!

OMM174378

Here's a copy and paste of the "Using Weights" section:

Using Weights
    CAUTION: Avoid injury! The machine may become unstable when operating on slopes and/or with some attachments.

Use weights to improve stability when operating on slopes or using attachments.

Remove weights when not required.

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Never use liquid in tires or wheel weights as ballast. Transmission damage can occur.

When rear ballast is needed, use only the approved rear weight bracket and attaching weights.

NOTE: See your authorized dealer for recommended weights.

Install front weights for added stability and steering control when you use equipment such as the rear-mounted grass bagger.
    Install rear weights when using the snow blade or snowblower.
    Remove weights when not required.

EDIT: You'll probably void your warranty as well if something were to happen with them loaded.
    Last edited by GWT3046r; 03-10-2018 at 03:24 PM.
    jgayman and Herminator like this.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GWT3046r For This Useful Post:

Herminator (03-10-2018), jgayman (03-10-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goodworkstractors View Post
    IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Never use liquid in tires or wheel weights as ballast. Transmission damage can occur.
    The same verbiage is in the X500 AND X700 owner's manual. JD sells wheel weights for the X3/X5/X7 lawn/garden tractors.

Last edited by jgayman; 03-10-2018 at 03:36 PM.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    The same verbiage is in the X500 AND X700 owner's manual. JD sells wheel weights for the X3/X5/X7 lawn/garden tractors.

Sure, for the tractors that are out of warranty! Wear down those trannies as fast as possible so they can go buy another new one! Gotta keep those stockholders happy
    Herminator and Yank like this.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Use different mowing patterns each time you cut. If you can anyway. To me some lots/spots only have one mowing solution.
    This will help keep ruts to a minimum.

Had a retention pond to cut so the bottom was frequently soft. I used my Wrangler to pull out some sticker bushes one season. Even with 4X4 and almost bald tires it still left some good ruts. Kept cutting across the ruts eventually flattened out the ground.

I just use suitcase weights for ballast. Because they are easy to put on and take off. Compared to wheel weights anyway.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 03-10-2018 at 08:50 PM.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:33 PM
    Thanks
    The problem with adding liquid to the tires is its always there,weights can be taken on and off.If it was a tractor that did loader work and was used with attachments a lot then yes.But for lawn mowers no.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    The problem with adding liquid to the tires is its always there,weights can be taken on and off.If it was a tractor that did loader work and was used with attachments a lot then yes.But for lawn mowers no.
    But that's not the issue. The manual is warning not to use liquid OR wheel weights on X3, X5 or X7 tractors. Yet JD sells wheel weight kits for all three series.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:33 PM
    Thanks
    But that's not the issue. The manual is warning not to use liquid OR wheel weights on X3, X5 or X7 tractors. Yet JD sells wheel weight kits for all three series.
    With my 345 and X595 they say to ballast with attachments.Bagger on, use front weight,snow blower rear weight and wheel weight and chains,same for the loader.Most of the ballast is in the attachment manuals.They don't want weight on (wheel or suitcase) when not needed.That's why there meant to be taken on and off.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    The more a wheel assembly weighs the harder it is to start and stop turning.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast