Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dale3887

Thread: Newbie mistake.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-30-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks

Unhappy Newbie mistake.

Bought a new house on about a half acre lot and got a new John Deere D 110. I mistakenly overfilled the engine with my fist oil change by about 1/2 a quart. After mowing for about 20-30 minutes it back fired a couple times and billowed white smoke. I put the mower up and tried again the next day. After about 20 minutes it back fired and billowed white smoke again. I now realize that I had overfilled the oil. I've drained some and all seems to be fine now. Do you think I did permanent damage running it about an hour overfilled?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    06-01-2018 @ 07:10 PM
    North Carolina, Confederate States of America
    Thanks
    I highly doubt it. We did that to our gator by accident. (Checked Oil on a Hill)

The service tech said that is a safety system it has a relief valve somewhere that lets it run into the muffler and when it gets hot enough it burns it off. So yeah I doubt you caused any damage it probably just dumped that extra oil off. You may still get some white smoke and residual oily burning smell but that will go away soon enough. Our gator has no ill effects from that particular incident.

Though we did have the dipstick jump out one time that was interesting it ended up getting the throttle stuck. But thats another story, anywho moving along :P
    Gizmo2 and farmgirl19 like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    03-05-2019 @ 06:53 AM
    Thanks
    Long tern it is not good to do. In this case I can't imagine you damaged anything. You may want to check you spark plugs. Sometimes they foul out a bit if you over fill like that. If they are pretty oily or black change them.
    - Mike - 2012 John Deere 3320 eHydro with cab, 300cx loader

John Deere 6' 6" 3 point snow blower, Frontier 48" pallet forks, King Kutter 5' box blade, 6' back blade, 5' rake, 5' tiller, and 5' brush hog, Northstar log splitter, Chief 22 gpm PTO pump, 8'6" hydraulic V-Plow, BXpanded 72" Piranha toothbar.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,895 Times in 2,871 Posts
    Welcome to GTT Swampfish. Seems you're in good hands.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    06-01-2018 @ 07:10 PM
    North Carolina, Confederate States of America
    Thanks
    Oh yeah.

As said above just check the spark plug. But for just like an hour it should be ok.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks
    As others have said, it's doubtful that you did any real damage. In my experience, you'll find out how well she holds up when you put some real stress on the engine. As long as you didn't do any damage to the oil control ring(s) the motor should be fine. Ring damage is usually apparent fairly close to the timeframe of initial trauma. I worked on an old Briggs tractor engine (old Snapper tractor) that rolled down a hill and ran for a bit while smoking like a brush fire, it held up for the long haul. A newer engine in a hand mower that was run with the oil full to the top of the dipstick didn't fair so well, broken oil control ring... It all depends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 1026R (MY 2012) Purchased April 2013
    H120 FEL with 49" bucket, Ken's 5/16" Bolt on Hooks & BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    60D (7-iron) Autoconnect MMM
    JD 3-Bag MCS w/Honda GC160 Power "Pak"
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    Artillian 42"x3" Forks w/2" Receiver
    48" EA XTreme Duty Box Blade
    36" EA Independent Wheel Lawn Aerator w/Alternating Depth Tines
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266
    42" Freedom Mulching Deck
    Larger LX model wheels/tires

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks
    Keep in mind that pretty much all of us have made this mistake at one point or another, so don't worry about it at all. I always try to under fill if on uneven ground as most engine capacities have wiggle room to be under filled without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 1026R (MY 2012) Purchased April 2013
    H120 FEL with 49" bucket, Ken's 5/16" Bolt on Hooks & BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    60D (7-iron) Autoconnect MMM
    JD 3-Bag MCS w/Honda GC160 Power "Pak"
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    Artillian 42"x3" Forks w/2" Receiver
    48" EA XTreme Duty Box Blade
    36" EA Independent Wheel Lawn Aerator w/Alternating Depth Tines
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266
    42" Freedom Mulching Deck
    Larger LX model wheels/tires

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:12 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,357 Posts
    I agree with those posting above that you likely caused no long term damage. Often, excess oil in that type of engine can be "whipped" into a foamy like froth when it is coming in contact with engine rotational pieces like crankshaft counter weights, etc. Over an extended period of time this obviously diminishes the lubricating qualities of the oil, but I am talking about several hours of continuous use.

As little as you ran this, other than checking and possibly changing the spark plug, I doubt you caused any other problem.

Live and learn, we all do it!

My neighbor with a new D series had been mowing for about one hour when he noticed I was outside. He drove over and opened the tractor hood and was asking me questions about various things. He pointed at the cap on the oil drain pipe and said "What does this do?" as he twisted it and promptly proceeded to drain the engine oil right in the middle of the yard. I quickly put it back on, but by then enough oil had been lost that we changed the oil right then and there.

It did take about three weeks for the burn to heal which I got from reinstalling the drain plug cap and being burned by the very hot oil. Putting the cap back on was more of a reflex than anything. But that is how we all learn. I was quite surprised how easy that cap was removed by simply twisting it with fingertips.......

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements