GT242 Dies with deck attached and PTO NOT engaged

Thread: GT242 Dies with deck attached and PTO NOT engaged

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-02-2014 @ 04:55 PM
    Thanks

GT242 Dies with deck attached and PTO NOT engaged

I picked up a GT242 with the house I just purchased. It had several things wrong with it that I've sorted out. However, my last problem is that the engine dies and won't crank enough to start without a booster battery when the 38" mower deck is attached but PTO not engaged. I replaced the belts and blades on the deck and greased the blade spindle assemblies.

One of the spindle assemblies has an internal scraping noise when I hand turn it, but not any real drag. However, I don't see how that would be any issue on the engine dying when the PTO isn't engaged. This was a problem before I started working on the tractor. I had thought the issue was due to the engine to rear wheel drive belt dragging on a frozen idler pulley which I had replaced along with the belt, but the issue remains. When I replaced the drive belt and pulleys, deck removed, the tractor started up great and ran perfect. I then replaced the belts/blades on the deck and attached. Engine started right up, engaged the deck and ran perfect for ~20 seconds but then died. Then back to the hard to crank and dies right away with deck belt attached but PTO not engaged. Pulled the deck drive belt back off and tractor starts and runs no issue.

Also, what is the torque spec for the blade bolt? The literature that came with the blade said 39 ft-lbs, but that seems low and one of the blades got out of position when I rechecked it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    Simple thing first the blades have no specific clocking, the belt is smooth and will slip a little here and there. 39 ft/lbs is probably more than enough because the blades spin in a direction that would cause the bolts o tighten.

As far as your hard to start problem. I would make sure the PTO is actually disengaged. I know you said the switch is off but it may be stuck and not releasing. Next I would test the battery voltage at rest and while cranking. You should have around 12v at rest and nothing lower than 9-10v while cranking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    "Engine started right up, engaged the deck and ran perfect for ~20 seconds but then died. Then back to the hard to crank and dies right away with deck belt attached but PTO not engaged.

Sure does sound like a stuck PTO clutch. Especially since the engine starts/runs OK w/o the belt to the deck. There is enough resistance in the entire belt/pulley system on the deck to greatly stress the starter motor. I'm guessing corrosion inside the clutch jamming it.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-02-2014 @ 04:55 PM
    Thanks
    I think you guys are right. I ordered a new one off line and will replace. Thanks!

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 76cmc View Post
    I think you guys are right. I ordered a new one off line and will replace. Thanks!
    Keep us updated! We love being right...
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements