tranny/differential oil

Thread: tranny/differential oil

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-09-2017 @ 10:17 PM
    Thanks

tranny/differential oil

I have a question, I have a 98 JD 345 and was wondering first if the transmission and differential is all combined and share the same oil? If so what kind of oil does it use? manual tranny oil, automatic tranny fluid, gear box oil?
    I am doing the steel cam gear and going through everything maintenance wise so I wanted to freshen the rear fluids as well if possible. I see it has a drain bolt in the bottom and a fill plug on top... just not sure what it takes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,431 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by javjacob View Post
    I have a question, I have a 98 JD 345 and was wondering first if the transmission and differential is all combined and share the same oil? If so what kind of oil does it use? manual tranny oil, automatic tranny fluid, gear box oil?
    I am doing the steel cam gear and going through everything maintenance wise so I wanted to freshen the rear fluids as well if possible. I see it has a drain bolt in the bottom and a fill plug on top... just not sure what it takes.
    Yes, the transmission and differential are using the same fluid source. Your tractor takes the John Deere HyGard Fluid, which is sold in quarts, gallons and two and one half gallon jugs at your Deere dealer. I will tell you that there is A LOT of debate about using other fluids in these drive units.

Frankly, I would only use the fluids which is compatible with J20D Specifications. You can purchase tractor hydraulic fluid at OReilly Auto parts, Tractor Supply which is compatible with the J20D specifications. I WOULD NOT use any "motor oil" or anything similar in MY TRACTORS Hydrostatic transmission, but that is me.

There is a ton of debate on this topic. All I can tell you is purchase high quality CORRECT FLUID and HIGH QUALITY Filters. These are areas which I believe it never pays to try and save pennies as these parts cost hundreds and thousands to replace.

On other tractor forums, there is a long running debate regarding running motor oil in the Hydro units. Frankly, I think that is a mistake. If John Deere recommends the HyGArd fluid for tractors costing
    $300,000 and up, as well as my 455, I will trust it in my tractors driveline.

My one tractor, a JD 455, I purchased new and it has 2,600 hrs on it and it runs like a champ. High quality oil and filter changes every 50 hours and full hydro changes every 200 hours.

Sorry if this sounded like I was preaching on this topic. I am just amazed at some of the suggestions others have made on other forums questioning Deere's specs and others trying to save money on lower quality fluid. Best of luck.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by javjacob View Post
    Being you are in the warmer temps of the south regular Hygard is fine. If you were up further north I would suggest Hygard Lo-vis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-09-2017 @ 10:17 PM
    Thanks
    Alright thanks guys. That is what I suspected. I will make a trip to the dealer and get some hygard. How many quarts does it take?

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    My 318 took about 6qts. I would guess that your 455 may take a little more, the dealer will know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements