x500 and x540 : how do these map to x570 - x 590?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: x500 and x540 : how do these map to x570 - x 590?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-29-2019 @ 05:38 PM
    Thanks

x500 and x540 : how do these map to x570 - x 590?

Hello

I'm in the market for an X580 or X590 if I go new. If I go used there are a few good X500 and X540s out there - how do these map to the current models. Are there significant improvements to the newer models? ie would you pay $2000 less for a 2014 X500 with 80 hours than a new X580?

Thanks!
    Yank likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:06 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpig View Post
    Hello

I'm in the market for an X580 or X590 if I go new. If I go used there are a few good X500 and X540s out there - how do these map to the current models. Are there significant improvements to the newer models? ie would you pay $2000 less for a 2014 X500 with 80 hours than a new X580?

Thanks!
    X500 model equals the X570 the Improvement is a 16inch turn radius other changes No front Rocker shaft needed to Install of Front Blade or Blower Most That I have seen don't care for the New Way the Blower or Blade Hook up On any of the X500 series Unless there using the Improved electric lift for the X570 which will allow you to use the 47inch snow blower on the X570

X540 was replace By X590 You loose the Liquid cooling but gain electronic Fuel Injection the Blower and Front Blade attachment The Hook Up differently than the Previous Models

X530 replaced By X580 Not Much changed except what I stated above for the Blower and Front Blade attachment The Hook Up differently than the Previous Models

The do Have either Manual engagement or electric engagement for the Mulch control system On the X570, X580, X585 & X590

Other than whats stated above Pretty Much they are the same with different Model number's

X570 Manual steer & Foot Pedal spring assist lift standard (electric lift Optional for Blower or Blade) & Optional 48 or 54inch deck

X580 Hydraulic Power steering and Hydraulic Lift standard 54inch deck

X584 Hydraulic Power steering and Hydraulic Lift Optional 48 or 54inch deck & All Wheel steering

X590 Hydraulic Power steering and Hydraulic Lift Optional 48 or 54inch deck & Electronic Fuel Injection Air cooled.

I will say this Once You have Hydraulic Power steering and Hydraulic Lift You will Never want to be without it X500 Model Manual steer & Foot Pedal spring assist lift standard (electric lift Optional for Blower or Blade)

Hope this helps
    jgayman, TJR345 and Yank like this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sergeant For This Useful Post:

Yank (03-16-2018), Zebrafive (03-22-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks, that is very helpful.

Then I'l focus on the 530/540 580/590. I'm planning on using the MC519, do I need the four wheel steering (X584)?

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks, that is very helpful.

Then I'l focus on the 530/540 580/590. I'm planning on using the MC519, do I need the four wheel steering (X584)?
    No You don't need AWS
    The MC519 will work On regular 2WD just fine
    I am Not a fan of the AWS in the X500 series Because it Take some of the Tractors Versatility away ie Not Tiller Capable Because the AWS Interferes with the Tiller Lift system. But I Like the AWS In the X300 & X700 signature series
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
    No You don't need AWS
    The MC519 will work On regular 2WD just fine
    I am Not a fan of the AWS in the X500 series Because it Take some of the Tractors Versatility away ie Not Tiller Capable Because the AWS Interferes with the Tiller Lift system. But I Like the AWS In the X300 & X700 signature series
    Got it, good to know on the tiller lift constraints. I wonder whether I am being oversold, would an X390 suffice? I have 3 acres, 1 acre is on a hillside (not sure of elevation but it's good enough for sledging down , A LOT of leaves to collect, some hauling, minimal snow ploughing.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,219 Posts
    Got it, good to know on the tiller lift constraints. I wonder whether I am being oversold, would an X390 suffice? I have 3 acres, 1 acre is on a hillside (not sure of elevation but it's good enough for sledging down , A LOT of leaves to collect, some hauling, minimal snow ploughing.
    If you plan to do anything other than mow grass I would stick with a X5xx-something or larger.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Thanks
    Hard to say for sure. Do you cut all 3 acres? I get that there are probably structures and driveway but if you have a lot of yard to cut, the bigger the better. One thing to keep in mind. You mentioned the leaf collection. That most likely means you are going with a powerflow head which is normally powered by a pulley that is added to the right spindle. These sap power from the machine. Then throw in hills and you will find that horse power is what you are going to want.

I have a yard that is pretty close to yours. 2.5 acres. I cut all of it with the exception of buildings and driveway. X585 which is an older machine before they did the renumbering. It is hard to line up exactly with current models but if I replaced it with a current model the closest model would be the X738. I say this because it is a 2 wheel steer, 4wd 25HP Gas version that has the same shaft drive for all attachments not belt driven. I have never looked that close at current gen X3xx or X5xx but I want to say that they are belt driven attachments. I used the same collection system for leaves. While I have a lot of pine trees on the property line, I have a lot of mature Ash and Maple trees scattered around the rest of the property and one black walnut. So I get a pretty big leaf harvest in the fall. We go through quite a bit of snow and that is where 4wd shines but it would get used in the mowing season on the hilly sections. More so if the ground is wet. For instance in the spring it takes a while for the soil to firm up but the grass is dry enough to cut. For the mower deck we ran a 54" because the 60" was too wide to get between trees. 4 wheel steering would be nice because you can get closer to the trees. When using the collection cart it is hard mounted to the tractor and it is on casters so it doesn't matter how sharp you turn. You might run into an issue of turning too sharp and clipping a tree if it is tight. I have that issue with my ZTrak now but never had that issue with the X585 when I used it for leaf duty.

If it were me on my yard, I would consider a X738 or X739. No way I would give up 4wd because it is nice depending on how steep your hills are. We have a ditch where it is used the most when cutting. One of the bigger X5xx machines that are still powered by a 25HP engine would still do good. I don't know that I would go down to a X3xx. Growing up my dad had a 317 and the 318 added power steering. If you add a blade or a blower to the front is where you really notice not having power steering. It wasn't really an issue mowing not having power steering but an issue in the winter. Also with 4wd and HDAP tires on the X585, I never have messed with chains for the tractor. They are a pain to wrestle with to put on and really are not needed. They are also hard on concrete and blacktop driveways.

Unless you have lots of time for mowing or if you have a tree spacing issue I would go with the biggest deck that you can. However a bigger deck takes more Horse Power to run. Add in a Powerflow Head picking up leaves which might be wet and you need even more. Add in hills and you need even more. It would take a lot to bog down my X585 but I do bog down the Z950R. It has a bigger 60" deck because a chainsaw too care of my tree issues. The commercial series Powerflow heads are different than the residential ones so they take more power to run. I see they are talking about a mulch control deck option. It kind of looks like the Mulch On Demand deck that was optional on my Z950R but I have never read a good review of MOD so I would be cautious about what they are calling Mulch Control. It might work fine but keep in mind there are all kinds of different types of grass out there and conditions when mowing. The MOD decks though on the Z9xx machines always seemed to leave a lot of clumping and a lot of people swapped them out which is no easy task on a ZTrak.

The other big issue that I would look out for is some of the smaller machines don't have a serviceable transmission. I wouldn't buy one with a sealed transmission. Pretty sure the X5xx is going to be serviceable. When you get down into the X3xx machines you are going to find machines that you can't change the fluid and don't have replaceable filters. These machines were designed for suburbia not for acreage if you ask me. If you were on a 1/2 acre lot you won't rack up that many hours mowing they will last many years. You simply won't be running them that long to heat up the transmission that much. Trying to do 3 acres, you may find you are simply going to be replacing the machine a lot sooner than you would have if you went up a little bit in size.

I don't think you are being oversold with something in the X5xx range from what I read about your intended use. It is on the lower end of what I would use and if it was me I would be going the other direction to something in a X7xx range or more likely 1 Series because I wouldn't want to give up my FEL and I might do more in the snow removal category than you do.
    Zebrafive likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Hard to say for sure. Do you cut all 3 acres? I get that there are probably structures and driveway but if you have a lot of yard to cut, the bigger the better. One thing to keep in mind. You mentioned the leaf collection. That most likely means you are going with a powerflow head which is normally powered by a pulley that is added to the right spindle. These sap power from the machine. Then throw in hills and you will find that horse power is what you are going to want.

I have a yard that is pretty close to yours. 2.5 acres. I cut all of it with the exception of buildings and driveway. X585 which is an older machine before they did the renumbering. It is hard to line up exactly with current models but if I replaced it with a current model the closest model would be the X738. I say this because it is a 2 wheel steer, 4wd 25HP Gas version that has the same shaft drive for all attachments not belt driven. I have never looked that close at current gen X3xx or X5xx but I want to say that they are belt driven attachments. I used the same collection system for leaves. While I have a lot of pine trees on the property line, I have a lot of mature Ash and Maple trees scattered around the rest of the property and one black walnut. So I get a pretty big leaf harvest in the fall. We go through quite a bit of snow and that is where 4wd shines but it would get used in the mowing season on the hilly sections. More so if the ground is wet. For instance in the spring it takes a while for the soil to firm up but the grass is dry enough to cut. For the mower deck we ran a 54" because the 60" was too wide to get between trees. 4 wheel steering would be nice because you can get closer to the trees. When using the collection cart it is hard mounted to the tractor and it is on casters so it doesn't matter how sharp you turn. You might run into an issue of turning too sharp and clipping a tree if it is tight. I have that issue with my ZTrak now but never had that issue with the X585 when I used it for leaf duty.

If it were me on my yard, I would consider a X738 or X739. No way I would give up 4wd because it is nice depending on how steep your hills are. We have a ditch where it is used the most when cutting. One of the bigger X5xx machines that are still powered by a 25HP engine would still do good. I don't know that I would go down to a X3xx. Growing up my dad had a 317 and the 318 added power steering. If you add a blade or a blower to the front is where you really notice not having power steering. It wasn't really an issue mowing not having power steering but an issue in the winter. Also with 4wd and HDAP tires on the X585, I never have messed with chains for the tractor. They are a pain to wrestle with to put on and really are not needed. They are also hard on concrete and blacktop driveways.

Unless you have lots of time for mowing or if you have a tree spacing issue I would go with the biggest deck that you can. However a bigger deck takes more Horse Power to run. Add in a Powerflow Head picking up leaves which might be wet and you need even more. Add in hills and you need even more. It would take a lot to bog down my X585 but I do bog down the Z950R. It has a bigger 60" deck because a chainsaw too care of my tree issues. The commercial series Powerflow heads are different than the residential ones so they take more power to run. I see they are talking about a mulch control deck option. It kind of looks like the Mulch On Demand deck that was optional on my Z950R but I have never read a good review of MOD so I would be cautious about what they are calling Mulch Control. It might work fine but keep in mind there are all kinds of different types of grass out there and conditions when mowing. The MOD decks though on the Z9xx machines always seemed to leave a lot of clumping and a lot of people swapped them out which is no easy task on a ZTrak.

The other big issue that I would look out for is some of the smaller machines don't have a serviceable transmission. I wouldn't buy one with a sealed transmission. Pretty sure the X5xx is going to be serviceable. When you get down into the X3xx machines you are going to find machines that you can't change the fluid and don't have replaceable filters. These machines were designed for suburbia not for acreage if you ask me. If you were on a 1/2 acre lot you won't rack up that many hours mowing they will last many years. You simply won't be running them that long to heat up the transmission that much. Trying to do 3 acres, you may find you are simply going to be replacing the machine a lot sooner than you would have if you went up a little bit in size.

I don't think you are being oversold with something in the X5xx range from what I read about your intended use. It is on the lower end of what I would use and if it was me I would be going the other direction to something in a X7xx range or more likely 1 Series because I wouldn't want to give up my FEL and I might do more in the snow removal category than you do.
    I agree with sennister a X700 range Might be a better tractor with a close to 3acre Place My Last Place(5.5 acres) I Used a X485(older Version of today's X730) and Finally a X748(older Version of today's X758) Didn't want a sub compact or compact for that place Because I had a lot of areas the Sub Compact or Compact would just get In My way. I tested a JD 2210,2305 & 1026R each for a Month Thanks to My dealer. And they Just were Not a Nimble as My X485 or X748. Now today I have a 3.9acre Place and Bought a 1025RTLB I have since come to the Fact I need the New 2025R which I should be trading for soon Since it Looks Like You Have no Problem going with Used You May want to Look at a used X720, X728(either 4WD or AWD) even a X729(AWD & AWS) if You can find it. Because as sennister pointed Out You can get a Larger 62inch deck which would cut down Your Mowing Time. 2 of those Model were actually designed to Take a Loader the X720 & the X728 But One will fit On the X729. I Upgraded My X485 to a used X748 In 2014 so I could keep My 45 Loader and with My AWD X748 I have a 25inch turn radius thanks to the AWD the 4WD version give You a 28inch turn radius when Not In 4WD Most will say at that Price to Upgrade to a sub Compact But the 1 series it Just Not as Nimble for Mowing Like a X700 series. The X700 series will be More stable On a Hilly Yard than a sub compact or Compact. Don't get Me wrong a Current Model X500 series will also Handle 3 acres of Mowing But sometimes a X700 series is just a better Buy with Maintaining 2 acres Plus especially if You want to Pull a MC519 Plus with Getting a X700 series You could get the aftermarket Hydraulic Lift Kit for the MC519 Cart. I Bought a kit from a Guy In Minnesota for Under $500 He sells them On evilBay It so Much easier to use the aftermarket Hydraulic lift Kit Than the standard Gas shock to raise and Lower a full cart Plus when You Don't Have the Bagging section On You can tailgate Material very easily. Plus It's Nice to Have Hydraulic Lift and angle for a dozer Blade when clearing snow and If You don't ever a need a full fledged loader Like Myself and sennister You can use either the JD Hydraulic lift & dump Tractor shovel or a Hydraulic Lift & Dump Johnny Bucket Sr Plus the X700 series Give You the ability to add a Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch and a 540Rpm Rear PTO for a slew of attachments such as a PTO driven Chipper or a spreader which is great for sand & salt In the winter. But that is what I would Look for In Your situation a X700 series either used or New.

BTW Here are two Places that specialize In Late Model Used X700 series tractors and Both ship around the country at very reasonable Rates
    Green Power
    Riding Mowers|Lawn Mowers|John Deere|Kubota|Cub Cadet » Roeder Outdoor Power
    The Bottom Link I have Bought Both a X748 & X540 from and
    Here's a Good Place for arranging shipping as well for a used a X700 series from either of those two Places https://www.fastenal.com/en/22/3pl-(...rty-logistics)
    Zebrafive likes this.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
    Got it, good to know on the tiller lift constraints. I wonder whether I am being oversold, would an X390 suffice? I have 3 acres, 1 acre is on a hillside (not sure of elevation but it's good enough for sledging down [IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.png[/IMG], A LOT of leaves to collect, some hauling, minimal snow ploughing.
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post

I agree with sennister a X700 range Might be a better tractor with a close to 3acre Place My Last Place(5.5 acres) I Used a X485(older Version of today's X730) and Finally a X748(older Version of today's X758) Didn't want a sub compact or compact for that place Because I had a lot of areas the Sub Compact or Compact would just get In My way. I tested a JD 2210,2305 & 1026R each for a Month Thanks to My dealer. And they Just were Not a Nimble as My X485 or X748. Now today I have a 3.9acre Place and Bought a 1025RTLB I have since come to the Fact I need the New 2025R which I should be trading for soon Since it Looks Like You Have no Problem going with Used You May want to Look at a used X720, X728(either 4WD or AWD) even a X729(AWD & AWS) if You can find it. Because as sennister pointed Out You can get a Larger 62inch deck which would cut down Your Mowing Time. 2 of those Model were actually designed to Take a Loader the X720 & the X728 But One will fit On the X729. I Upgraded My X485 to a used X748 In 2014 so I could keep My 45 Loader and with My AWD X748 I have a 25inch turn radius thanks to the AWD the 4WD version give You a 28inch turn radius when Not In 4WD Most will say at that Price to Upgrade to a sub Compact But the 1 series it Just Not as Nimble for Mowing Like a X700 series. The X700 series will be More stable On a Hilly Yard than a sub compact or Compact. Don't get Me wrong a Current Model X500 series will also Handle 3 acres of Mowing But sometimes a X700 series is just a better Buy with Maintaining 2 acres Plus especially if You want to Pull a MC519 Plus with Getting a X700 series You could get the aftermarket Hydraulic Lift Kit for the MC519 Cart. I Bought a kit from a Guy In Minnesota for Under $500 He sells them On evilBay It so Much easier to use the aftermarket Hydraulic lift Kit Than the standard Gas shock to raise and Lower a full cart Plus when You Don't Have the Bagging section On You can tailgate Material very easily. Plus It's Nice to Have Hydraulic Lift and angle for a dozer Blade when clearing snow and If You don't ever a need a full fledged loader Like Myself and sennister You can use either the JD Hydraulic lift & dump Tractor shovel or a Hydraulic Lift & Dump Johnny Bucket Sr Plus the X700 series Give You the ability to add a Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch and a 540Rpm Rear PTO for a slew of attachments such as a PTO driven Chipper or a spreader which is great for sand & salt In the winter. But that is what I would Look for In Your situation a X700 series either used or New.

BTW Here are two Places that specialize In Late Model Used X700 series tractors and Both ship around the country at very reasonable Rates
    Green Power
    Riding Mowers|Lawn Mowers|John Deere|Kubota|Cub Cadet » Roeder Outdoor Power
    The Bottom Link I have Bought Both a X748 & X540 from and
    Here's a Good Place for arranging shipping as well for a used a X700 series from either of those two Places https://www.fastenal.com/en/22/3pl-(...rty-logistics)
    [IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/bigthumbup.gif[/IMG]

Thanks. So due to size I’ll stick with the X580 or 590. But you convinced me to stay away from the x300s.

Now 580 or 590? Snow moving will be minimal and infrequent if that counts.

Lastly - my yard is full of dips and rises and generally both on a hill and uneven. In fact most of the turf is actually moss.. Will the uneven surface be a problem to mow and collect from?

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks. So due to size I’ll stick with the X580 or 590. But you convinced me to stay away from the x300s.

Now 580 or 590? Snow moving will be minimal and infrequent if that counts.

Lastly - my yard is full of dips and rises and generally both on a hill and uneven. In fact most of the turf is actually moss.. Will the uneven surface be a problem to mow and collect from?
    If it were me, X590.

The reasoning...

• Bigger 25HP engine to run the MCS
    • Taller seat would be more comfortable
    • EFI over Carb which probably will get better fuel economy

Oh and go with the 54" deck if tree spacing is not a problem.

While it is only 1.5HP more, if the commercial powerflow head saps 2HP from my Z950R, then the residential version is going to sap about 1-1.5HP from a X590.

I didn't see anything that was a benefit of one over the other for the limited snow work. That would come from 4WD and these are both 2WD so a wash. Well the EFI would be easier to start on a cold winter day I guess. Other than that the transaxle is the same TuffTorq K72, the engine is actually the same Kawasaki FS750V (one being carb version the other EFI). So you are paying for a better seat and the EFI which also gains a bit more HP. Not sure what that means in $$$.

As far as the question on the dips and rises. I would say it depends. I have some and there is one place that I would have an issue with the cart and my X585. When cutting the ditch it was fine if I made a pass down the ditch running parallel to the road. However if I went perpendicular down the ditch and up on to the road, it was never an issue when in the bottom of the ditch but when cresting the hill and coming out on the road, the cart is still down the hill and the chute is designed to slide into a slot on the trailer and it can flex so far that it pops out.

One thing to keep in mind. Normally with the chute it comes from the factory way too long. When the dealer gets it, the manual tells them where to cut it off based on the tractor you have. If you were concerned about this, you could probably ask them to cut it off so it is one section longer. If it is too long, you can always trim some more away but it is tough to make it grow longer once trimmed if too short. It really is only an issue cresting what is a pretty steep grade.

As I mentioned, I would be cautious about the mulch control deck. Maybe look into reviews on that. It looks similar to the MOD for the ZTrak which gets really bad reviews on other sites I am on. Mainly ones frequented by commercial lawn care services.

But this is me spending your money.
    Last edited by sennister; 03-16-2018 at 08:38 PM.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast