• 1 Post By jgayman
  • 2 Post By Yank

Thread: Question about x394 HST behavior on inclines

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:34 PM
    Thanks

Question about x394 HST behavior on inclines

Just got a new x394 & have one thing that I'm not sure about. With the engine running, parking brake off & no pedals depressed, if on an incline is it normal to have the machine start rolling? Forward or backward makes no difference.

I first ran into this in getting the unit off the trailer. The grade made it a bit nose down & when I took my foot off the brake after disengaging the parking brake control it immediately started rolling. Kinda caught me by surprise because of how far you have to move your foot from brake to HST pedal. Checked it again on grades while doing some test mowing & if you aren't on the brake or the appropriate pedal, it will roll down grade.

I don't remember having this happen with the SST18. If you didn't pull the release at the back, you could not get it to move much at all without engaging a pedal.

Nick
    Last edited by nikdfish; 03-17-2018 at 05:27 PM.
    2010 JD 3038e w/305 FEL 2013 JD 1025R FILB 2017 JD x394
    RC2060 rotary cutter, BB2060 Box Blade, Strap-On Pallet Forks, Jinma 6" Chipper, Tarter 5' Tiller, TSC Middle-buster, Agri-Supply Keulavator,
    Caroni TC590 5' Finish Mower, TSC 6' Landscape Blade, TSC 6' Landscape Rake, TSC Post Hole Digger, Modified TSC Carry-All w/deck & casters

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,213 Posts
    I'm gonna say normal. My X500 does the same thing. It was a big adjustment initially because I was coming from a 175 Hydro which, as soon as you moved the hydro lever to the middle would screech to a stop and not move. In the 25 years I owned that tractor I rarely needed to use the brake. In fact, on the 175 if you were going along and suddenly moved the lever to the middle the tires would actually slide, that's how fast it stopped.

Fast forward to the X500. I quickly learned that the brake was required because even with my foot off the pedals it will coast freely on an incline. It also doesn't stop right away when you take your foot off the pedal. This too took a bit of adjustment so I didn't run into things. It seems more so going forward than backward but it drifts easily both ways.

Even with the tractor shut off I can move it a bit forward. Something that was impossible on the old 175 Hydro.

You are right about the location of the brake pedal. It is a long way from the hydro pedals up to that big brake pedal.
    nikdfish likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

nikdfish (03-17-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks! I like the new machine & was hoping it wasn't an issue...

Nick
    2010 JD 3038e w/305 FEL 2013 JD 1025R FILB 2017 JD x394
    RC2060 rotary cutter, BB2060 Box Blade, Strap-On Pallet Forks, Jinma 6" Chipper, Tarter 5' Tiller, TSC Middle-buster, Agri-Supply Keulavator,
    Caroni TC590 5' Finish Mower, TSC 6' Landscape Blade, TSC 6' Landscape Rake, TSC Post Hole Digger, Modified TSC Carry-All w/deck & casters

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nikdfish View Post
    Thanks! I like the new machine & was hoping it wasn't an issue...

Nick

I also vote normal.

Forget that it even has a brake pedal. Other than starting the engine & parking the tractor. You know so it doesn't roll away.
    When you are going to fast in either direction use the opposite direction pedal. It's a small learning curve but you will master it.
    When you use the brake it should turn the deck/PTO off every time you press it.

Don't forget the brakes only work on the rear wheels. If one side locks up the other freewheels.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Bingo! I never use the brake on my X580. If I am going forward, I use the reverse to slow down. And vise versa. If the tractor is pointing down the hill, I slightly push on the reverse just enough to hold it steady. Now, I wouldn’t do this for extended periods of time. This is just for a couple of seconds when changing directions or making quick adjustments like raising or adjusting the deck.

Now, I mow 2.5 acres with my 580. Does everything I need to do, and I have plenty of hills. Look back at my pics, I have 7 total acres and only one small spot level enough for me to check my tractors oil level. Plenty of hills! I have a model 80 cart that I fill full of rocks and haul around all the time. Tractor has plenty of grunt for the job. I lower my back wheel pressure down to 10 pounds or so, sometimes 8. The HDAP are awesome for traction. I have the 54 inch deck and I cut at 3 inches. I have it leveled correctly and it never scalps. I wish it was a diesel, but besides that, it’s a tough little machine.
    Last edited by Yank; 03-18-2018 at 08:16 AM.
    coaltrain and H-D dealer dude like this.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 42” pallet forks
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOH’s bucket hooks
    2017 X580
    Model 80 trailer