Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: New JD mower...

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:01 PM
    Thanks

New JD mower...

Just wondering if anyone has bought an X320 and wish they would of went ahead and got the X500?

I am looking to buy a new mower before spring. Hopefully there will be some good incentives over fall/winter.

My usage will be mowing a fairly hilly 1.5 acre yard hauling firewood in a cart during the winter and what ever else I need to haul around the rest of the time. I also will be getting a sprayer either a pull type or the JD model that mounts to the back of the mower. Finally I might get a blade for light duty dirt work down the road.

I currently have a LT1042 MTD Cub that been doing fine with all the above duties but is showing its age its almost 10 years old.

Thanks for any comments..

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks

Seeing as this is your first post, I think a welcome is due.

I took a look at the specs on both the X300 and the X500, and they seem to be a pretty capable machines. I assume with the amount of property you need to mow, that the minimum deck size would be 48", and up to the max 54". Again, my guess is that you are leaning toward the hydrostatic version (X320), which is a good bet since JD hydros are really reliable transmissions.

I myself am of a different breed, I guess. I like to own just a pure mowing machine to do the mowing, and a separate tractor to do the rest of the work. So, as you can see by my signature line, the tractor is a 1 series, and I also have a Toro Z5000 ZTR for the grass. We do a lot of lumber hauling around here too, plus a good amount of gardening, stump removing, fence posts, snow removal, and any number of other tasks. A good tractor is a great back and time saver.
    Levi likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonton View Post

Seeing as this is your first post, I think a welcome is due.

I took a look at the specs on both the X300 and the X500, and they seem to be a pretty capable machines. I assume with the amount of property you need to mow, that the minimum deck size would be 48", and up to the max 54". Again, my guess is that you are leaning toward the hydrostatic version (X320), which is a good bet since JD hydros are really reliable transmissions.

I myself am of a different breed, I guess. I like to own just a pure mowing machine to do the mowing, and a separate tractor to do the rest of the work. So, as you can see by my signature line, the tractor is a 1 series, and I also have a Toro Z5000 ZTR for the grass. We do a lot of lumber hauling around here too, plus a good amount of gardening, stump removing, fence posts, snow removal, and any number of other tasks. A good tractor is a great back and time saver.
    I have looked at a ZTR but my wife does 80% of the mowing and she wants a steering wheel.. So we will get a mower with a steering wheel 😀

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Levi likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    02-16-2017 @ 10:36 PM
    Thanks

The x3 and x5 series are both great dedicated mowers. I think either would do what you described. The x5 series is a heavier machine and if in your budget is a great machine. If you can afford it why not go bigger. If price is a concern the x3 series should get the job done. If you plan to add any snow removal or ground engaging type implements in the future I would lean toward the x5 series. Just my .02 $
    ColonyPark and Levi like this.

2014 John Deere 1025R
    H120 Loader with 53" Bucket
    54D MMM with auto connect
    JD 3 point receiver hitch
    54" front snow plow
    KK XB 48" Tiller
    TaylorWay 48" Box Blade
    Kk 60" grader blade
    KK 72" landscape rake
    TracVac PTO yard sweeper
    PSRUMORS Upgraded Seat Springs
    Kens Bolt on Hooks
    Forward Lighting Kit (currently turned to the rear)
    BXpanded tooth bar

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmdoss View Post
    I have looked at a ZTR but my wife does 80% of the mowing and she wants a steering wheel.. So we will get a mower with a steering wheel

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Can't blame her, I gotta have a steering wheel too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

8. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,896 Times in 2,872 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    Can't blame her, I gotta have a steering wheel too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No steering wheel in the beginning is strange. Babycakes here wants no part of a steering wheel anymore she has been mowing with a ZTR since 2002.
    5304 likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (10-08-2014)

10. Top | #7
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

11. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,896 Times in 2,872 Posts
    Oh yeah Welcome to GTT bmdoss.
    Thanks FG.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:02 AM
    Thanks
    I bought my X320 new back in 2006, and so far no issues with it, other than a clogged fuel cap back in 2008. They're an excellent mowing machine and if that's all you want it to do, then I would go with the X320. But if you have plans to do more or have the extra $ in your budget, then moving up to the X500 series would be cool also. After 9 mowing seasons, I have been very pleased and happy with my X320. I just use it to mow with as I have other tractors for the heavy duty stuff.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mo View Post
    I bought my X320 new back in 2006, and so far no issues with it, other than a clogged fuel cap back in 2008. They're an excellent mowing machine and if that's all you want it to do, then I would go with the X320. But if you have plans to do more or have the extra $ in your budget, then moving up to the X500 series would be cool also. After 9 mowing seasons, I have been very pleased and happy with my X320. I just use it to mow with as I have other tractors for the heavy duty stuff.
    Thanks I think I am leaning towards a used 314 or the x500

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast