Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: School me on mulching kits

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 12:36 PM
    Thanks

School me on mulching kits

I am mowing a bunch of grass 2 1/2 acre two times a week in the spring early summer . I tried a vacuum it did a great job but cost a lot to keep it running . I used the Vacuum every other week and really liked the job it did but to many problems with it .

I am thinking about a Mulching kit the only thing I have not tried . I have a X-758 60 inch HC deck and need something a little in the summer and a lot in the fall . I have a lot of trees big trees the vacuum I used would need dumped 15/16 times a lot of work for an old man .
    Having never used a mulch kit will it keep the lawn clean looking do I need to mow only when grass is real dry . Also can I use it every week or every two week and how hard to use it one week and not the next what do you need to remove to just mow .

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks
    If the mulch kit is like most of them you are not going to want to remove it and put it back from week to week. The easiest way to install them is to remove the deck, flip the deck up and put in the brackets. The mulch kit also uses different blades but I guess you could use them for normal cutting. I guess if you have a drive over deck it might not be that bad to remove it to change back and forth but I don't have one of those so it would be a big pain.

I will let other chime in for how well they work. The biggest comment I think I have read is that you will need to reduce your speed when mulching. So it might take you longer to do your yard.
    PJR832 likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Time is something I have a lot of I already mow slow now . So I guess I can not just go from Mulch to mow without removing the mulch kit ?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    If the mulch kit is like most of them you are not going to want to remove it and put it back from week to week. The easiest way to install them is to remove the deck, flip the deck up and put in the brackets. The mulch kit also uses different blades but I guess you could use them for normal cutting. I guess if you have a drive over deck it might not be that bad to remove it to change back and forth but I don't have one of those so it would be a big pain.

I will let other chime in for how well they work. The biggest comment I think I have read is that you will need to reduce your speed when mulching. So it might take you longer to do your yard.
    # ADDED after reading other comments: My mower's top speed is 4.5mph and the deck is only 42" -- it appears I'm probably out of my league on this one! Maybe the info will be useful to someone else so I'll leave it here. #

My X350 is much less powerful than his X758 (although with only a 42" deck) and it handles both mulching and discharge "at speed" with no problems as long as the grass isn't really wet. I also use it to mulch "moderate" leaves (you don't want to completely bury the grass with mulch). The "Accel" deck has mulching blades and a top lever to open/close the side discharge as needed. It works very well year round with no seasonal changes. I don't know if a "mulch on demand" kit is available for your deck, though .
    Last edited by RodW; 03-18-2018 at 08:12 PM.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RodW View Post
    My X350 is much less powerful than his X758 (although with only a 42" deck) and it handles both mulching and discharge "at speed" with no problems as long as the grass isn't really wet. I also use it to mulch "moderate" leaves (you don't want to completely bury the grass with mulch). The "Accel" deck has mulching blades and a top lever to open/close the side discharge as needed. It works very well year round no seasonal changes.
    Define mulch. I "mulch" at speed with my Gator G6 blades doing side discharge with my Z950R. But that really isn't mulching like what the OP is talking about. Well I guess that is an important thing to define. Mulching can mean a few different things to different people. Some of these versions work better than others.

1. Just running a mulching blade with regular side discharge or possibly an aftermarket device that blocks the discharge.

2. A deck specifically designed to go back and forth. I want to say it is called Mulch Control on the X Series. They call it Mulch On Demand on the big Z9xx machines. I don't know about Mulch Control but the Mulch on Demand which is similar doesn't get very good reviews so I avoided that deck. There is no way to convert to it other than buying another complete deck. Most of the reviews were from people mowing commercially since that is where most Z9xx machines are used. When cutting like that you can't pick and choose a dry vs wet day. Complaints were mainly around clumping.

3. A kit with baffles and mulching blades that installs under a standard deck.

Since the OP is taking about a Mulching Kit I assume he is talking about this. I don't know what kit he needs but here is an example of one that would fit my ZTrak with the standard (not MOD) deck. What the OP is looking at is something along the same lines.

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...-TCB10953.html

It is the baffles that have to be installed and you might be able to get them in there and remove them with the deck on the machine but it would be easier to remove the deck. The time saved in leaving the deck on would probably be lost rolling around on the ground. So if he has a drive over deck I would pull the deck. I don't have one so I would be rolling around on the ground with either of my machines to either pull the deck or trying to put the baffles on.

At speed is another thing that is kind of hard to define. Top speed on my X585 is 8MPH the Z950R 12MPH. The ZTrak has much higher spindle speeds and can cut "at speed" much faster than the X. In general the dryer the conditions the better for mulching. Another thing is to cut more often. If the grass gets too long it won't mulch well. That is another variable that will impact cut speed.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    So far it is not sounding Good . My yard is soft and wet the grass grows fast and I mow at three inches .
    It is looking like a mulching kit is not going to work for me .

Two years ago I bought the three bagger power flow for my mower . When it ran it did a very nice job but it was a problem child from day one . The first year it was in the dealers shop a bunch all silly stuff The three bags filled up so fast I could not keep up . Last year I was afraid to use it much as it cost me to much to keep it working . The power Flow made the deck heavy on one side so I had to run the gage wheel on the ground all the time or it cut low . It was a very poor option for cost of it .

I do Thank You People I guess I do not need the mulch kit .

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BANGER View Post
    So far it is not sounding Good . My yard is soft and wet the grass grows fast and I mow at three inches .
    It is looking like a mulching kit is not going to work for me .

Two years ago I bought the three bagger power flow for my mower . When it ran it did a very nice job but it was a problem child from day one . The first year it was in the dealers shop a bunch all silly stuff The three bags filled up so fast I could not keep up . Last year I was afraid to use it much as it cost me to much to keep it working . The power Flow made the deck heavy on one side so I had to run the gage wheel on the ground all the time or it cut low . It was a very poor option for cost of it .

I do Thank You People I guess I do not need the mulch kit .
    I wouldn't rule it out yet. Wait to see if you get more responses of people who have used the mulch kit. Like I said I haven't ever added one to my deck. I have seen the holes in the deck where they install and thought about it, but I don't want to mess with removing the baffles when I switch to leaf collection. The Z with Gator G6 blades does a really good job so I am fine with it.

As I mentioned there are three different thoughts that come to my mind at least when I think mulching as outlined above. Option 2 isn't really an option for you as it is a complete deck replacement. Option 1 is what I have always done. I don't get clumping but my current mower is quite a bit different than yours. Compared to my X585 which is closer to your machine, the Z really casts out the clippings really far. As I have said I have never done Option 3 which is the one you are considering.

Where I was talking about the clumping and such with longer wet grass is more in that Option 2 Mulch On Demand deck which is an optional deck for a ZTrak. I have noticed that they have something along the lines of this called Mulch Control for the new X Series. I don't know how good of a job they do or if they suffer the same issues as the MOD deck. I think the problem with the MOD is that while it has baffles, there are doors that open and close between the blades. If you flip the lever to side discharge the doors open, flip to mulch and they close. However if you look at the baffles on the mulch kit like what you are looking at, they are curved to hug the edge of the spinning blades. This way the clippings are sucked up into this chamber and chopped over and over before they drop down. I don't think the MOD deck has this tight of a chamber so clippings get off to the side and clump up. Never ran a MOD Deck because of the poor reviews but I have seen lots of photos of the clumping. However they were from guys doing commercial mowing. They may have too many jobs to be able to not cut grass because it just rained that morning. That may not be the case with you.
    PJR832 likes this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Thanks
    I use the mulch kit on my X739/54HC deck and it works well for me here in the soggy Pacific NW. I do bag in the early spring and late fall but otherwise the mulch kit is on the rest of the time. Give it a try, you may be surprised how well it works on the HC decks and its not very hard to change out. 3 nuts hold all the baffles on and changing the blades only takes a few minutes with an impact gun.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    2008 3320 -- 2014 X739

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eric102 View Post
    I use the mulch kit on my X739/54HC deck and it works well for me here in the soggy Pacific NW. I do bag in the early spring and late fall but otherwise the mulch kit is on the rest of the time. Give it a try, you may be surprised how well it works on the HC decks and its not very hard to change out. 3 nuts hold all the baffles on and changing the blades only takes a few minutes with an impact gun.
    Do you pull your deck when installing or removing the kit? I would imagine it would be easier to pull the deck not only for accessibility reasons but also the grass might build up on the bolts when removing or the underside of the deck when installing the baffles.

I really wish my ZTrak fit on my 4 post hoist like my X585. It made it so easy to clean the underside of the deck and change blades.
    PJR832 likes this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 08:13 AM
    Thanks
    Please keep in mind that I only have 1 year of experience with my X738, deck and mulch kit. However, my dealer installed the mulch kit on my deck and has told me numerous times (I stop in often and BS with them) that there is not any reason to change the blades if I choose to "not activate" the mulch door. They also said that the mulch kit came with different (mulching?) blades when I purchased it. They installed these mulching blades (and sent home the "stock" blades) and said that I can use the mulching blades any time of the year if I choose. I used the mulching blades all last season. In the fall when I bagged my leaves, I did not notice any lack of pick up into the bagger. I have never used my stock blades.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Mike

2018 1025R w/120R FEL
    54" Quickhitch snowblower (JD)
    54" Quickhitch blade (JD) with Artillian wings
    54" JD MMM
    Frontier RC 2048
    Titan 36" forks
    53" Heavy Hitch tooth bar
    MCS 20 w/ Power Flow
    Heavy Hitch
    I-Match - JD