• 1 Post By mjncad
  • 3 Post By Slickzone

Thread: 2014 X7xx RIO switch removal.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:36 AM
    Thanks

2014 X7xx RIO switch removal.

First off I'll just say I hate the damn Lawyer-Switches that prevent one from mowing in reverse without pressing a button. Deere calls them RIO switches. I call them a pain in the ass. Any "Safety Cops" that may want to chastise me for removing the switch will find their lectures will fall on deaf ears with me; so please save your breath.

Anyway, I removed the Lawyer-Switch today on my 2014 X754. A few pictures can be found here. https://picasaweb.google.com/1101061...54LawyerSwitch#

Unlike the D(ud) 1xx BBM mowers Deere sells, removing the Lawyer-Switch isn't as easy on the 2014 X7xx series of Lawn & Garden tractors. The steering wheel needs to be removed, which wasn't as big a hassle as I expected as no puller was needed. The same for the orange throttle knob. A small trim piece in front of the hydraulic levers needs to come off too, which was a little more work. The steering wheel nut torques to 28 lb/ft upon re-installation. I couldn't get the plastic steering column housing off; but I managed to pop the switch out anyway with the limited clearance I had for my fingers. I have the shop manual, which told me how to get at things.

The worst part was getting the switch to disengage from the wiring harness connector. I probably spent 30 - 60 minutes trying to coax the damn switch off without breaking something.

So for less than a $1 I made my mowing life easier next year. $0.60 for the nylon hole plug, and a few cents for a short piece of 14 AWG wire and a couple of terminals.

While I had the mower out, I put a piece of 1/4" wire loom over two wires leading to the PTO solenoid. For some reason Deere didn't feel the need for about 6" of loom and two cable-ties. No doubt some bean-counter said those items would break the bank. The uncovered wires show up in Deere's literature; so it's not just my rig. Sorry the before picture is blurry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0008.JPG
    Levi and OxPath like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-21-2016 @ 02:31 PM
    Thanks
    I did my rio switch on my x730 in two minutes.i pulled the yellow button out put a wire nut on the two wires,pushed the button back in the hole and job done.the rio on my fathers x320 was a little harder,those wires are on the pto switch,that was a ten minute job.and boy was he a happy camper when he got his mower back.i also did my seat switch,I don't have to set the brake everytime I get off the mower
    Levi likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,560 Posts
    Wire nuts shouldn't be used in any kind of vehicle. They have a tendency to loosen and back off to the point where the nut will fall off and leave a bare wire(s) ready to cause havoc. Not only could the circuit not work, but something could be shorted to ground. I recommend you use a more suitable connection that's more secure such as crimp connectors or even the best, solder and heat shrink.

Just my $.0000000002
    mjncad, Duke Snyder and 5304 like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike(08-29-2017), Jeff R.(10-09-2014), SulleyBear(10-11-2014)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:02 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Wire nuts shouldn't be used in any kind of vehicle. They have a tendency to loosen and back off to the point where the nut will fall off and leave a bare wire(s) ready to cause havoc. Not only could the circuit not work, but something could be shorted to ground. I recommend you use a more suitable connection that's more secure such as crimp connectors or even the best, solder and heat shrink.

Just my $.0000000002
    Agreed and well said......

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:02 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickzone View Post
    i also did my seat switch,I don't have to set the brake everytime I get off the mower
    I certainly understand the RIO (mowing in reverse switch) being disconnected or bypassed.
    The RIO is a PItA.

However, the small inconvenience of setting the parking brake to keep the tractor from shutting off when you leave the seat seems a reasonable trade off to know the tractor will shut off should you fall off, get knocked off or whatever.

But more importantly, I would be concerned about someone else (spouse, children, parent, etc.) being injured by the tractor continuing to run should they somehow come off the seat while operating the tractor.

The seat switches have been a safety feature for probably 20 years plus. The RIO is relatively new. In my humble opinion, the seat switch is a reasonable safety concern. I personally wouldn't want anyone I care about to operate a tractor which wouldn't shut off should they somehow come off the seat while operating it.

But that's just me......Freedom to do as we please (within some limits) is a valuable right in this great country and for that I am extremely grateful.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:36 AM
    Thanks
    One could always add a seat/PTO override switch like I did to my 4200 to allow me to easily use the PTO while being off the tractor.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1101061...90929653332466
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Levi likes this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-21-2016 @ 02:31 PM
    Thanks
    Maybe the wire nut was not a great idea,but my last john Deere had the wire nut fix and after nine years I never had a problem.i think I'll pull the wire nut off and put a crip connector on it.im just so glad those safety switches are disabled.heres a pic of my winter setup
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg
    DRobinson, Levi and UnionSchnauzer like this.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements