Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Rat nest on my engine... literally

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-26-2018 @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks

Rat nest on my engine... literally

Hi forum, newbie here with an interesting problem.

D140, 2015 model with a Briggs & Stratton. Tractor was last run in October--most of the fuel was used up at the time, and it was stored in a shed until March.

Before starting it in the spring, I typically clean it up and change the oil. Boy am I glad I did--RATS got into the engine bay and built a nest in there. Not mice, but rats. Once I had the black shroud off, you couldn't even see any cooling fins, it was that bad.

On top of the filth they filled up the insides with, they chewed up the right-hand coil/armature and spark plug wire. I used three cans of brake cleaner and an air compressor to clean the filth out. I then replaced the coil/armature with one from the dealer,following the instructions about spacing it from the flywheel. And I did my usual oil change.

The engine cranks and cranks and cranks, but it doesn't fire.

Some notes:

- It's a relatively new mower with only light use
    - Battery and starter appear to be in good shape.
    - Tank has fresh gas.
    - Plug from new coil has spark (though it looked red/orange).
    - Fuel flow to carb is good--if I disconnect the fuel line exiting the fuel pump, it squirts as the engine cranks.
    - I haven't messed with the carb--it and the air intake appeared to be the one place the rats didn't mess with.
    - In addition to the fuel line, there's a vapor line connecting the gas tank with the left side of the engine. The tube is clear, but it seems blocked at the gas tank if I try to blow from the engine side.

Questions:

1. Should the vapor line be clear into the gas tank? I want to make sure there's not some valve I might damage if I hit it with compressed air. I don't even know what it does.

2. Though I tried to match the orientation of the chewed-up coil/armature, it's possible I could have installed the new coil upside-down (see picture below). I don't know what this would do in terms of spark.

3. Any other guesses before I give up and take it in to the dealer?

Click image for larger version.

Name:	tvj4ppx.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	577465
    Note the rust on the old coil... entirely due to rat excrement.

Thanks, folks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180325_120047.jpg
    Robnik, Herminator, PJR832 and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:45 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    It could very well be the fact that it was stored for a length of time with a partial tank of gas. Ethanol (regular) gas degrades very quickly.

You might want to try draining the tank and fuel lines along with the carburetor bowl and put fresh gas in.

I know you said you put fresh gas in but I am assuming that was on top of the old gas. The old gas is likely still in the carb and lines.

When storing equipment for a month or more, drain the tank, then run the engine until it stalls thus getting all the gas out of the system.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    07-02-2019 @ 08:40 AM
    Thanks
    Next thing I'd do is get a big, mean, farmcat!!
    And don't feed him much. LOL
    MDrew, coaltrain, Daveb and 6 others like this.
    2017 2032R - 220r FEL, 72" mmm,Frontier 2084 blade ,JD 670 tiller, frontier 48" pallet forks, allied 2060 snowblower,JD 513 brush hog, EA 55" grapple,Frontier 2060 box blade, Farmi 351p logging winch
    LX 186 - 48" deck, 38" snowblower
    F 510
    GTX 38
    Cub Cadet GTX 1054
    2011 825i Gator

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Thanks
    I used to have a half dozen cats,, the coyotes depleted my supply of cats,,

Last fall,, I spent over $100 on mouse traps, ALL types,, I catch close to one per day on average,,,

Does anyone think I overspent on mouse traps??

When I see damage like that, I think I underspent,,,

Yesterday, I dumped two out of one repeating trap,,
    my wife noted that since I caught two,,, think how many fewer there will be in the future!!
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:12 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mcclellc View Post
    Hi forum, newbie here with an interesting problem.

D140, 2015 model with a Briggs & Stratton. Tractor was last run in October--most of the fuel was used up at the time, and it was stored in a shed until March.

Before starting it in the spring, I typically clean it up and change the oil. Boy am I glad I did--RATS got into the engine bay and built a nest in there. Not mice, but rats. Once I had the black shroud off, you couldn't even see any cooling fins, it was that bad.

On top of the filth they filled up the insides with, they chewed up the right-hand coil/armature and spark plug wire. I used three cans of brake cleaner and an air compressor to clean the filth out. I then replaced the coil/armature with one from the dealer,following the instructions about spacing it from the flywheel. And I did my usual oil change.

The engine cranks and cranks and cranks, but it doesn't fire.

Some notes:

- It's a relatively new mower with only light use
    - Battery and starter appear to be in good shape.
    - Tank has fresh gas.
    - Plug from new coil has spark (though it looked red/orange).
    - Fuel flow to carb is good--if I disconnect the fuel line exiting the fuel pump, it squirts as the engine cranks.
    - I haven't messed with the carb--it and the air intake appeared to be the one place the rats didn't mess with.
    - In addition to the fuel line, there's a vapor line connecting the gas tank with the left side of the engine. The tube is clear, but it seems blocked at the gas tank if I try to blow from the engine side.

Questions:

1. Should the vapor line be clear into the gas tank? I want to make sure there's not some valve I might damage if I hit it with compressed air. I don't even know what it does.

2. Though I tried to match the orientation of the chewed-up coil/armature, it's possible I could have installed the new coil upside-down (see picture below). I don't know what this would do in terms of spark.

3. Any other guesses before I give up and take it in to the dealer?

Click image for larger version.

Name:	tvj4ppx.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	577465
    Note the rust on the old coil... entirely due to rat excrement.

Thanks, folks
    If its getting spark, I would check the fuel. Drain and refill the tank and lines, and maybe clean the carb. Next, make sure that the fuel shutoff is operational, and that the wires haven't been chewed. It is located under the carb, directly under the bowl.

Go ahead and check the air gap again, just to make sure. Does the engine have a low-oil shutdown? make sure there is plenty of oil in the pan.
    Robnik and Herminator like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

8. The Following User Says Thank You to johnH123 For This Useful Post:

mcclellc(03-26-2018)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    I used to have a half dozen cats,, the coyotes depleted my supply of cats,,

Last fall,, I spent over $100 on mouse traps, ALL types,, I catch close to one per day on average,,,

Does anyone think I overspent on mouse traps??

When I see damage like that, I think I underspent,,,

Yesterday, I dumped two out of one repeating trap,,
    my wife noted that since I caught two,,, think how many fewer there will be in the future!!
    I have a southern black racer that hangs out in my shop. I really hate snakes but he doesn't show himself much and he does keep all of the other critters out so I leave him alone.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    I can't add anything more to the troubleshooting advice that's already been given but I had the exact same problem with mice the last 3 years with my D160. They LOVE to crawl up in those coils to build their nests and chew on the wires.

This year I soaked a rag in peppermint oil and laid it over the top of the engine. Not a single rodent anywhere in the shed so far this winter. As an added bonus, every time I open the shed door it smells like Christmas!

Hope you get it sorted out soon!
    Tomfive, 636mullet, MDrew and 5 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Robnik(03-26-2018)

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robnik View Post
    I have a southern black racer that hangs out in my shop. I really hate snakes but he doesn't show himself much and he does keep all of the other critters out so I leave him alone.
    It would keep me out.

I would also have to jack up my car another 2 feet and put a lift kit on my creeper.
    MDrew, BigJim55, mark02tj and 3 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Herminator For This Useful Post:

Robnik(03-26-2018)

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:04 AM
    Thanks
    I think you need to disassemble and clean your carburetor if it was sitting with ethanol gas. I bet the pilot jet and possibly main jet or other passages are plugged with crud.
    MDrew, Robnik and goat704! like this.
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 06:47 AM
    Thanks
    In the early '80's, I bought a log splitter to use during the summer. I'd shut it down about Sept/Oct, tarp it and start it the following April/May...but only after pulling the carb apart, give it a good cleaning, and replace a few gaskets. 2 or 3 pulls later it would run fine. After 3 or 4 years of "spring cleaning" the carb, my cousin suggested/recommended using Sta-Bil in my gas. I tried it and that was the last time I had to clean the carb!
    I also put it in 2-cycle fuel. I don't use my chain saw or trimmer as much as I used to, and a 5 gal can of fuel can last me 3 or 4 years. 3 or 4 pulls and my 2-cycles fire right up!
    As far as running the fuel system dry, I do the opposite: I top my tanks off if something is going to sit for a season...that helps prevent condensation.
    Topping off or running dry is your call, but I STRONGLY recommend using Sta-Bil in your fuel(s). Bob

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast