Recently went from x500 to x540, but.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Recently went from x500 to x540, but.....

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-18-2014 @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks

Recently went from x500 to x540, but.....

So I traded up to a 540 yesterday. I really needed the power steering due to my chronic shoulder problems. The steering killed me on my 500. I noticed when I got it home that it really didn't have any throttle between idle and WOT. Meaning if I moved the throttle lever back and forth, it seemed it would just jump to one or the other. I also noticed when idling down it would fall on its face. Sometimes it would recover but other times it died. It really bothered me since my 500 was baby smooth. Engaging the PTO would also bring it to its knees and it too would kill the engine at times. I took it back to the dealer and a service guy informed me that Kawasaki has the new liquid cooled engines leaned out to the max to pass emissions. I also was told this was the last year that Kawasaki was making a vertical shaft liquid cooled because of emissions standards. We tested out a few other 540's and they were better than mine but still not like my 500. If they don't have a solution tomorrow I am really thinking about going back to a 530. I only got the 540 because with the rebate it was only $300 more. I guess what I am getting at is, has anyone else experienced this and has it gotten better with use? They told me it will probably get better but probably wont cut it when it doesn't and I cant return it. I am also concerned about it running that lean, I know that can cause issues as well. I only put 50 or so hours a year on one so the liquid cooled is not necessary, I just liked the tilt steering and seat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,256 Times in 2,562 Posts
    That sounds very unusual to me. I'd definitely be talking to the dealer, especially if other identical models were behaving a lot better than yours.
    Green Man likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    The movement of the throttle levers on the others felt the same but they just ran a little better. It almost reminds me of my tiller, its like they want it either running WOT or idling. My daughter demands "tractor" rides every evening and I don't like running it wide open, usually half throttle or less. It just seems weird to me and I am not sure what to think.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Got it back from the dealer. The first service guy told me it was normal and all the 540's on the lot did it, which they did. Then another guy heard the discussion and he adjusted the throttle stop screw. Problem solved. I guess it was closing the throttle and killing the engine then the governor was picking it back up. The throttle is loosening up also now after some use. For some reason all 6 of the 540's they had were like this.

7. Top | #5
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,256 Times in 2,562 Posts
    Excellent! Thanks for reporting back what the issue was.
    rgd likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

8. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,898 Times in 2,874 Posts
    X2 ^^^^^
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 956 Posts
    Glad it was an easy fix, now you can get on to enjoying that machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:38 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMET View Post
    Got it back from the dealer. The first service guy told me it was normal and all the 540's on the lot did it, which they did. Then another guy heard the discussion and he adjusted the throttle stop screw. Problem solved.
    It sounds to me like You just identified the "preferred service guy" to work on your tractor should it need to return to the dealer......
    Green Man likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    It sounds to me like You just identified the "preferred service guy" to work on your tractor should it need to return to the dealer......
    Yes definitely! Although I rarely take things to the shop because I just don't trust anyone! My 500 was flawless and I am hoping my 540 will follow in its footsteps now. I had a 485 several years ago and man I sure am glad to have power steering again.
    Gizmo2, rgd and Green Man like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BMET View Post
    Yes definitely! Although I rarely take things to the shop because I just don't trust anyone!
    This is becoming a very common place statement and feeling these days... I do just about everything myself these days because my experiences have been horrendous with these tech school grads that really aren't naturally mechanically inclined so they just can't figure it out. A valuable mechanic should be able to get paid well, but doesn't seem to work that way to incentivize the best, sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2 and rgd like this.
    John Deere 1026R (MY 2012) Purchased April 2013
    H120 FEL with 49" bucket, Ken's 5/16" Bolt on Hooks & BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    60D (7-iron) Autoconnect MMM
    JD 3-Bag MCS w/Honda GC160 Power "Pak"
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    Artillian 42"x3" Forks w/2" Receiver
    48" EA XTreme Duty Box Blade
    36" EA Independent Wheel Lawn Aerator w/Alternating Depth Tines
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266
    42" Freedom Mulching Deck
    Larger LX model wheels/tires

13. Remove Advertisements