Accessories to get with a new JD X380 mower?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By TSR6

Thread: Accessories to get with a new JD X380 mower?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks

Accessories to get with a new JD X380 mower?

Looking at getting a JD X380 in the next couple weeks. I'm conflicted on options though...

Currently I push mow - mulch or bag, no side discharge. Two dogs and a toddler, kind of liking the bagging idea to keep from dragging grass into the house this summer.

The other concern, my shed is about 1-2" short of allowing the tractor in the shed with the discharge chute down. If I had the bagger with that turbo-blower-device on the side, will I fit into the shed? if not - how easy is it to pull off quickly if I choose to add the bagger?

Do I really consider adding the mulch-control kit AND the bagging option? Or do I just stick with side discharge? or side discharge and bagging? I really wouldn't mind having the bagger just for leaf collection alone (I get a lot of leaves).

I'm also considering the JD Multi-Tool (thatchorator deal...aerator & dethatcher). For the cost, versus renting from HD 2x a year @ $25 a pop plus having a $50 deposit each time, I'm thinking long term I might as well.

Thoughts on all this?
    Last edited by TSR6; 03-29-2018 at 04:35 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks
    My baggers I take on and off because they don't fit in the shed.Easy on and off nothing to worry about.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Thanks
    Do I really consider adding the mulch-control kit AND the bagging option? Or do I just stick with side discharge? or side discharge and bagging? I really wouldn't mind having the bagger just for leaf collection alone (I get a lot of leaves).
    It appears you have an answer to your bagger question. Here's some additional context for the mulching option.

I'm a big fan of mulching -- I haven't used side discharge or bags in years. If the cost is acceptable, keeping the mulching option would definitely be superior to side discharge.

We haven't had problems tracking the mulched clippings (they're small enough to work themselves down into the grass quickly) but with dogs & kids, you might have to mow more often. I'm very happy with my X350's Accel deep deck mulch kit (simple lever to switch from mulch to side discharge). It mulches leaves well, too, as long as the residuals aren't thick enough to smother the grass -- and aren't where your crew would track them in. It's amazing how many leaves you can shred with a couple of passes and not have to haul them. You'll get a lot of earthworms as a bonus. If you're not absolutely sure about fitting everything into the shed, you could try out mulching and add bagging later if needed.

Congratulations! The X380 is a great tractor (my brother has one). If you're considering making your own accessories as well as buying, check out the link in my signature block below.
    Last edited by RodW; 03-29-2018 at 09:13 PM.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Thanks
    Another thought...

If your lawn isn't overly large or steep, you could consider stepping down the the X350 with a 42" deck and use the savings to buy more accessories. Unless you really need the K58 transaxle, this could resolve all of your concerns.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    My baggers I take on and off because they don't fit in the shed.Easy on and off nothing to worry about.
    Perfect - I came across a youtube video last night that it looked like that power flow deal comes off easy, so im not all that worried now too.

Quote Originally Posted by RodW View Post
    It appears you have an answer to your bagger question. Here's some additional context for the mulching option.

I'm a big fan of mulching -- I haven't used side discharge or bags in years. If the cost is acceptable, keeping the mulching option would definitely be superior to side discharge.

We haven't had problems tracking the mulched clippings (they're small enough to work themselves down into the grass quickly) but with dogs & kids, you might have to mow more often. I'm very happy with my X350's Accel deep deck mulch kit (simple lever to switch from mulch to side discharge). It mulches leaves well, too, as long as the residuals aren't thick enough to smother the grass -- and aren't where your crew would track them in. It's amazing how many leaves you can shred with a couple of passes and not have to haul them. You'll get a lot of earthworms as a bonus. If you're not absolutely sure about fitting everything into the shed, you could try out mulching and add bagging later if needed.

Congratulations! The X380 is a great tractor (my brother has one). If you're considering making your own accessories as well as buying, check out the link in my signature block below.
    I get some pretty hearty leaf coverage in the fall, on my push mower it doesnt clean it up enough when mulching so I used the bagger for that. Thanks, I can't wait to buy it - thinking of running out and getting the paperwork done this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by RodW View Post
    Another thought...

If your lawn isn't overly large or steep, you could consider stepping down the the X350 with a 42" deck and use the savings to buy more accessories. Unless you really need the K58 transaxle, this could resolve all of your concerns.
    I looked at the 350 - but all the research I did suggests I really should get the 380 with the upgraded hydro. I have a pretty good incline in my yard, and want the thing to last forever.
    mark02tj and DougIn414 like this.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements