Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By randyandrewsberg

Thread: John Deere 455 rear hydraulic addition

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:49 AM
    Thanks

John Deere 455 rear hydraulic addition

I wanted a hydraulic top link to go with my Ruegg 3 point and box blade and I got it all set up today. It took a bit of research to find all the right sizes and proper names of everything, so I thought I would spell it all out here for anyone else who wants to try. I bought the hoses to do a soft line, but decided to learn a new skill and run hard lines. Picked up 2 5 foot lengths of 3/8" mild steel tube, one 1/2" o ring boss to 37° jic adapter, one 3/8" o ring face to 37° jic, a few 3/8" tube sleeves and nuts. I picked this all up at a local hydraulic shop. I pulled a lock out valve off a 425 that I only use for mowing, so I could lock out the top link, which I suspect I will lock out some time when doing dirt work with my front blade at the same time as I'm using the box blade. I picked up pioneer style quick couplers that are compatible with the John Deere quick connects from the local rural King and the 1/4" npt to 37° jic adapters to hook the couplers onto the hard line. Grabbed a 14 gauge 2"x8" drop cut from a local sheet metal shop and had them put a 90° bend in it. I cut some off and drilled holes in it, then welded it across the 90° bend so it's quite strong. Overall I'm happy how the project turned out, I had to get kind of low with the hard line from the lock out valve. I could have picked up a right angle adapter to avoid it but no big deal. No leaks on the first try! Fun project.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    mjncad, Kennyd, X748SE and 4 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Thanks
    Nice,what length hydro cylinder did you use for your top link.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 03:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by randyandrewsberg View Post
    I wanted a hydraulic top link to go with my Ruegg 3 point and box blade and I got it all set up today. It took a bit of research to find all the right sizes and proper names of everything, so I thought I would spell it all out here for anyone else who wants to try. I bought the hoses to do a soft line, but decided to learn a new skill and run hard lines. Picked up 2 5 foot lengths of 3/8" mild steel tube, one 1/2" o ring boss to 37° jic adapter, one 3/8" o ring face to 37° jic, a few 3/8" tube sleeves and nuts. I picked this all up at a local hydraulic shop. I pulled a lock out valve off a 425 that I only use for mowing, so I could lock out the top link, which I suspect I will lock out some time when doing dirt work with my front blade at the same time as I'm using the box blade. I picked up pioneer style quick couplers that are compatible with the John Deere quick connects from the local rural King and the 1/4" npt to 37° jic adapters to hook the couplers onto the hard line. Grabbed a 14 gauge 2"x8" drop cut from a local sheet metal shop and had them put a 90° bend in it. I cut some off and drilled holes in it, then welded it across the 90° bend so it's quite strong. Overall I'm happy how the project turned out, I had to get kind of low with the hard line from the lock out valve. I could have picked up a right angle adapter to avoid it but no big deal. No leaks on the first try! Fun project.

randyandrewsberg,

Nice work on the rear hydraulic addition!

Roger

Current Machine: 2012 X748SE, 60" 7-Iron Deck, 45 Loader, 54" Blower, Curtis Hard Cab
    Former Machines: JD 140 H3, JD 345,
    Ford 1710, Ferguson 2085
    YouTube Channel: --> X748SE

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    Nice,what length hydro cylinder did you use for your top link.
    I decided a John Deere 425 rock shaft is there right length to add weld on 3 point eyes, but I ended up buying a ready to run cat 0 hydraulic top link from agristoreusa.com. it had a double piloted check valve to keep it from drifting. Since I'll primary be pulling a box blade, I'd imagine the top link will see some pressure from the cutting edge depending on how aggressive I'm trying to cut, so I thought the check valve was important. I'll make another post soon with a video of the top link operation.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by randyandrewsberg View Post
    I decided a John Deere 425 rock shaft is there right length to add weld on 3 point eyes, but I ended up buying a ready to run cat 0 hydraulic top link from agristoreusa.com. it had a double piloted check valve to keep it from drifting. Since I'll primary be pulling a box blade, I'd imagine the top link will see some pressure from the cutting edge depending on how aggressive I'm trying to cut, so I thought the check valve was important. I'll make another post soon with a video of the top link operation.

I have a cat 1 Ruegg on my x595 and was thinking of on for my single bottom plow and other attachments.Like to see pic when you get all done.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    I have a cat 1 Ruegg on my x595 and was thinking of on for my single bottom plow and other attachments.Like to see pic when you get all done.
    Here is a short video, testing to ensure hoses don't kink at all angles. Works great with my box blade, I'm very pleased.
    https://youtu.be/-MpuCNpXf5U

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    06-16-2019 @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    Real nice job! I put rear remotes on mine. But, I just ran hoses with quick connects, which means I couldn't use with a front blade. For me, I just use to operate a hydraulic dump trailor. I do have hyd. toplink on my bigger tractor. It is great for use with rear implements. You are going to love it.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements