• 2 Post By xcopterdoc

Thread: X300 - Parking brake kills PTO

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-24-2014 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks

X300 - Parking brake kills PTO

Hello,

I have a 2011 JD X300 w/ a 42" Edge deck. Recently, I removed the deck to clean it and do a little maintenance on the tractor. After putting the deck back on, I tried to engage the mower.

The mower did start (although it hesitates momentarily when I first pull up on the PTO switch), but when I push in on the parking brake, the PTO shuts off. Everything else on the mower works fine, but for some reason the brake is shutting off the mower.

I obtained the electrical schematic and worked my way through most of it. I even replaced the interlock module believing that perhaps it failed and was somehow giving the signal to shut the PTO down when the brake was applied. That did not fix the problem. I cannot see any other way that the brake could have an effect on the PTO other than through the interlock module.

Has anyone run into this issue in before? Any help would be much appreciated.

Chad

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,086 Posts
    Just to be clear, is it shutting off the PTO when you engage the parking brake, or disengage the brake to move?
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    It is shutting off the PTO as soon as I fully push the parking brake down. I can move forward without the PTO shutting off.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,173 Posts
    Are you sure it didn't act like this before? My X500 operates just like you describe. With the PTO engaged, if I push the brake all the way down it will disengage the PTO. If the parking brake is engaged when I engage the PTO, the PTO will not start.

This caught me off guard when I first got the X500 because with my old JD 175 Hydro I could run the blades with the parking brake set.

Apparently JD wants to avoid anyone running the blades with the parking brake on because that must mean you are getting ready to dismount - although I thought the seat switch took care of that?

So to restate, if my PTO is running I can apply the brake and it will stay running but if I push the brake pedal too far like I would to set the parking brake - the PTO shuts off.
    etcallhome likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    It is definitely possible, but I am almost certain that I have put the brake on fully while the PTO was engaged and it did not turn off.

I know that it will not allow the tractor to start with the PTO switch on, but I didn't think it killed the PTO once it was running. The manual does not mention anything about the parking brake being used in that manner either. Maybe I should stop into the dealership and ask to start one up to see if it does the same thing....

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Thanks
    Normal operation. Here is the function of the interlock module from the tech manual:

The interlock module performs the following functions:

Turn on the electric clutch if the operator is in the seat, the PTO/RIP switch is in the ON position, and the transmission is in forward or neutral.
    Maintain power to the electric clutch if the operator is in the seat, and chooses to mow in reverse. By lifting the PTO/RIP switch to the Momentary ON position while shifting into reverse, the reverse override function is enabled, latching the power to the clutch.
    Disables the reverse override when the operator shifts the transmission from reverse to forward or neutral.
    Turn off and latch off the electric clutch if the PTO is on and the operator shifts into reverse without lifting the PTO/RIP switch. To reset the latch, the operator must place the PTO/RIP switch in the OFF position.
    Turn off and latch off the electric clutch if the operator gets off the seat. A short time delay protects against bouncing. To reset the latch, the operator must place the PTO/RIP switch in the OFF position.
    Turn off and latch off the electric clutch if the operator enables the brake switch.
    etcallhome and 56FordGuy like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    Normal operation. Here is the function of the interlock module from the tech manual:

The interlock module performs the following functions:

Turn on the electric clutch if the operator is in the seat, the PTO/RIP switch is in the ON position, and the transmission is in forward or neutral.
    Maintain power to the electric clutch if the operator is in the seat, and chooses to mow in reverse. By lifting the PTO/RIP switch to the Momentary ON position while shifting into reverse, the reverse override function is enabled, latching the power to the clutch.
    Disables the reverse override when the operator shifts the transmission from reverse to forward or neutral.
    Turn off and latch off the electric clutch if the PTO is on and the operator shifts into reverse without lifting the PTO/RIP switch. To reset the latch, the operator must place the PTO/RIP switch in the OFF position.
    Turn off and latch off the electric clutch if the operator gets off the seat. A short time delay protects against bouncing. To reset the latch, the operator must place the PTO/RIP switch in the OFF position.
    Turn off and latch off the electric clutch if the operator enables the brake switch.

Thank you very much, that puts my mind at ease. I can't believe I couldn't remember that working like that before. I had searched for the programming for the interlock module, but couldn't locate it.

I really appreciate everyone's help!

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-09-2017 @ 10:17 PM
    Thanks
    The PTO is supposed to shut off when the parking brake is engaged, its a safety feature. You cant just leave the mower with the blades moving. Just think about it, very unsafe. They are designed so if you set the parking brake the motor can stay running so you don't have to restart it but the PTO shuts off for safety reasons. Same safety reasons the engine and PTO shut off if you come off the seat. Some people think its stupid and even bypass these safety devices but they are there for a reason. I for one think that only a fool would disable these safety devices.
    98 John Deere 345

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 AM
    Thanks
    As mentioned before, this is normal. That's part of the safety systems, as is the RIO.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements