Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Buying Used x739 Need Help

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 04:20 PM
    Thanks

Buying Used x739 Need Help

Hello all,

New to the forum here. I'm looking to purchase a used X739 and save a few pennies. I'd like to stay as new and current as possible. Can anyone give me pointers as far as what has changed from years 2016 to 2017? I'd rather go with the 2017 (are 2018 out yet?) and get the longest possible factory warranty still available on it.

I'm seeing many with a 60" Accel deck and I'd prefer a 48" seeing I don't mind extra time in the seat and save storage space. Any other wisdom would be great too.

Hopefully, this forum will be useful and informative with me being new to a JD

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:54 PM
    Thanks
    First off Welcome.

A couple things to consider with a used machine purchase.

A dealer probably has 0% financing on a new machine which makes new very attractive. That used machine if 1-2 years old likely was purchased on 0% financing. Tractors don't have titles so it is tough to say that the seller actually pays off the loan. If buying private party be sure to call a dealer and have them run the SN to make sure it isn't stolen. Also ask them (not the seller) on if the warranty is transferable and how much time is left on it because they can look it up in their system to see the in-service date which is what it is based on.

As far as changes. They don't normally change a lot with machines from year to year. Somewhere in there I want to say there was an instrument cluster change. Other than that there isn't likely much different. That is kind of the thing with tractors that is a bit different than say cars/trucks. Because they don't change much, model year is many times less important than hours on the machine. I would say where it is an area of consideration is if it is a new machine that has been sitting outside at the dealer for maybe 2-3 years and they are charging the same price for one they just took delivery on. While both would have the same warranty, you may have a harder time accepting one where the paint is faded and such when there is a new one sitting next to it with the same cost.

If you were looking at an older machine, lets say 3-5 years, then I would say that is the better target to finding one used than the concerns you might face with a 1 year old machine. Though the warranty isn't there. Honestly the warranty is great but any manufacturing issues are sorted out in the first couple years and they are pretty strong after that. My X585 is a 2002 and has over 1100hrs on it. I have had some minor things but basically have fixed them all myself with the service manual. The most recent issue was an O-ring for the fuel injector failed. I replaced both of them for maybe $5 and 30 min wrenching on the tractor.

EDIT:
    On the deck. A 48" would likely yield a better cut on an uneven yard. The problem with it is that it is probably not a very common deck to find on the used market. Also you are going to have a hard time cutting close to trees, edging and bushes with it. The X7xx machines are pretty wide so a 48" will barely extend past the wheels. I would recommend a 54" over a 48". The 60" is a pretty common deck for them because they have the power to run them. Normally if someone needed a 48" they probably also went with a smaller less capable machine like a X5xx or X3xx. Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by sennister; 04-11-2018 at 08:40 AM.
    eric102 likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Is there a specific reason you are looking for a large tractor like the X739 to use with such a small deck? 48" barely covers the width of the tires which makes getting close to obstacles a bit tough. I have a X500 with a 48" deck and not much sticks out each side. I went with 48" because my yard is very uneven.
    sennister likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well the smaller deck was basically my decision mainly based on storage space. I didn't consider the fact about noting getting close to objects. I'm not totally opposed to a 54" and seeing I'd have better luck finding one in that config I'd better look at that.

My original visit to the dealer was for the X584 because I needed diff lock and FWS. But after seeing the 739 in person I fell in love. Its just a beautiful machine.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks
    I'm not sure they even make a 48" for the X7??? I agree that the 54" is a better option anyways due to mowing close to objects.

I just sold my 2017 x739 with plow, 60" mower, and bagger to my neighbor. Only had 19 hours on it. They are an awesome machine. I can see myself buying another one as they work with my lawn just perfectly.

Warranties are transferable, but always a good idea to verify with the dealer. I second asking about the financing. If it is currently financed, see if you can go into a JD dealer with the seller and pay off on the spot. Or, go to a bank where they deposit and have them pay it off on their online JD Financial account while you guys are right there in the bank.

I don't know of any significant changes between those models years. They will be very similar, if not identical. Good luck!
    BigJim55 and coaltrain like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:54 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jobes View Post
    Well the smaller deck was basically my decision mainly based on storage space. I didn't consider the fact about noting getting close to objects. I'm not totally opposed to a 54" and seeing I'd have better luck finding one in that config I'd better look at that.

My original visit to the dealer was for the X584 because I needed diff lock and FWS. But after seeing the 739 in person I fell in love. Its just a beautiful machine.
    There are other benefits as well such as shaft driven attachments.

Like I said, if you find a 1-2 year old machine, I would want to buy it from a dealer or at least research it there to minimize risk. I won't say that you won't find a 739 used that is only 1-2 years old. Heck there are two members here in the last couple weeks that have been looking at trading in a low hour X7xx machine because they now realize they should have gone with a 1025R. They are finding it challenging because the machine being so new and they owe quite a bit on them if bought with the 0 down 0% financing and the dealer doesn't necessarily want it because it will compete against their new machines so they will be sitting on it for a while.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,454 Times in 1,579 Posts
    Go for a 54" deck ..I don't think they make a 48 for the X7xx
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goodworkstractors View Post
    I'm not sure they even make a 48" for the X7??? I agree that the 54" is a better option anyways due to mowing close to objects.

I just sold my 2017 x739 with plow, 60" mower, and bagger to my neighbor. Only had 19 hours on it. They are an awesome machine. I can see myself buying another one as they work with my lawn just perfectly.

Warranties are transferable, but always a good idea to verify with the dealer. I second asking about the financing. If it is currently financed, see if you can go into a JD dealer with the seller and pay off on the spot. Or, go to a bank where they deposit and have them pay it off on their online JD Financial account while you guys are right there in the bank.

I don't know of any significant changes between those models years. They will be very similar, if not identical. Good luck!
    This is important advise when looking at these expensive fairly new tractors. Being tractors are not titled you absolutely have to research and find proof that the tractor isnít financed. If the tractor you are buying is financed and you donít get proof that the owner has paid it off you will likely loose that tractor soon.
    GWT3046r likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Very good info to know. I just may go new and forego any of the headaches. So it sounds like the 54" is the way to go. Now I need to decide, mulch or not too and if not a good bagging system to go with. But, I'm sure that's an entire topic I'll need to research.

Thanks everyone

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goodworkstractors View Post
    According to the Build Your Own tool they do offer a 48" deck for the X739:

48-in. Shaft Drive Edge Xtra Mower Deck (48X)
    GWT3046r likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast