455 pressure relief valve

Thread: 455 pressure relief valve

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-28-2017 @ 06:23 PM
    Thanks

455 pressure relief valve

Could someone tell me where to look and see if one is already installed on my new to me 455. The original owner bought a 40 loader which I have . I just want to make sure it has the pressure relief valve already as I plan to shim it in the future. Just lost on where to look/start. Thanks again

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    04-03-2018 @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    the location is to the rear of the tractor., you need to remove the bolts holding the plastic in place ,rear of the tractor covering the fuel tank if I remember correct its the whole rear deck cover, lift up the fuel tank you don't need to remove the fuel tank just kinda set it out of position.
    It's then located right rear side facing the tractor from the rear, I think it takes a 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" socket
    Do you have both relief valves? The original that is a higher pressure rating and the one that comes with the 40 loader this will have a lower rating to prevent damage to the system when using the loader? I don't have the book anymore to tell you the difference. Looking at them there is a slight difference.
    It's very easy to change once you see what needs to be done , should be able to complete in about 20 minutes.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Have not had time to look. But wondering since the 40 loader was purchased at the same time as the 455 wouldn't deere include these relief valves for safe operation? I have the lockout valve which I have read comes with the purchase of a 40/455 setup

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-03-2016 @ 09:54 AM
    Thanks

40 Loader

I purchased the loader for my 455 a year after I had it. Bought it used from a dealer and it came with the valve. Already had the lockout for a front blade.

To install the valve you have to take the entire seat pan off. You can take the seat off the pan then take the bolts under the seat loose and then take the others under the floor portion. I believe there are 3 bolts with nuts on each side. FYI I believe they are metric 10mm. Once it is loose you have to horse it off, its tight and would be good to have an assistant to lift it off. There are some rear light wires, seat switch and the fuel pump/gauge wires that have to disconnect. Once it is off you can disconnect the fuel hoses and move the tank. You will see the relief valve on top of the rear drive. The release lever bolts over it so you can free wheel the tractor when it's not running. There should be a new lever to go with the new valve due to the difference in height of the valve. Once you get the relief lever off just unscrew the existing valve, pull it out and put the loader valve in. Replace the new lever and put everything back. 1st time around will take you several hours.

Don't remember if you mentioned that the loader frame was on the tractor? If not you have to install it as well.

My loader on the little 455 was a backsaver. It was the best piece of equipment that I bought. Put a ton of hours on it with the loader. However my 1025r is much better!!

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Supposedly the whole package was bought at once which is why I'm curious. I still have no had time to mess with it. Need to get it ready for winter duty. Is there not a faster way to see if deere already installed the relief valve. If it was bought as a package new I would hope deere would install all necessary equipment involving a loader. Just wish there was a quick way to verify I have it or not...

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:48 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,403 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Some helpful advice from someone who has taken this same tractor apart numerous times.

Once you remove the rear body pan I would strongly suggest putting it back together with stainless hardware. The deck, rear body pan or I think Deere calls it the "Platform" as in "Operator Platform", only has 6 or 8 bolts and nuts but they are in an area which is very subject to getting rusty from winter salt, catching dirt and mud, etc.

Replacing the original hardware with new makes it much easier to take apart in the future, as well as easier to reassemble. While you have the platform removed, check the wiring harness under the seat to the fuel pump carefully. It is routed during factory assembly to not rub on anything but over time or during repair work, the wiring harness tends to move and then can rub and wear a bare spot on the wires.

Also, mice like to crawl up in that area for some reason and they will chew on the factory wiring and the tape which the factory uses to position the wires so they won't rub. Make sure to be careful with the electrical wire routing when you reassemble. Also the seat switch wire as well as the tail light wires are in the same harness. On the 445 and 455, the tail light sockets frequently are disconnected from the light housing and the actual sockets may be full of dirt and crud if the bulb is missing. Now is a great time to clean up these connections and make sure that they work.

The first time I took the platform off was to replace the in tank fuel pump. It appears to be a bigger task than it turned out to be. The entire disassembly, pump and pick up rerplacement and repairing of wires which had been chewed on by mice took at most 1hr......It only takes a 10mm socket and wrench to remove the platform. If you are doing the project alone, it will be easier to remove the seat and bracket from the platform which makes the platform much lighter and less top heavy. You can get the platform ready to remove and if it is too top heavy or difficult to lift, then remove the seat and bracket from the platform before lifting the platform off by yourself.

Also, you will want the fuel tank as low on fuel as possible so it is easier and safer to remove. It is quite awkward to handle if full of fuel as it is flat and wide in shape. If this tractor has more than 1,000 hours on it, I would pull the fuel pump out of the tank and replace the fuel pick up filter while you have the tractor this torn down. That in tank fuel pick up filter is very easy to replace by simply releasing the ring around the top of the tank and pulling out the fuel pump and pick up. Replace the Oring seal when you reassemble the tank inlet. This will assure you good fuel pick up and I have seen these pick up filters almost rotted from being in the fuel for so long. The tank filter and O ring are less than $20 if I recall correctly.

Make sure you route the seat switch wire back up thru the platform before you start to reassemble. Otherwise the wire will be trapped underneath the platform and the tractor won't run with the seat switch disconnected. It really isn't as big a project as it sounds. At most plan on a couple of hours but if you are mechanically inclined, you should be able to do the entire project in an hour or so.

Hope this info is helpful.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjc50 View Post
    If it was bought as a package new I would hope deere would install all necessary equipment involving a loader. Just wish there was a quick way to verify I have it or not...
    The loader would have most likely been dealer installed and there is no way to be sure that the relief valve was changed. While it will take an hour or so to disassemble and check, the protection the proper relief valve provides is very important and the last thing you want to do is damage your hydraulic pump and need to replace it.

On the 455, the hydraulic pump is everything from driving the hydrostat drive on the tractor to power steering as well as running all of the tractor hydraulics.

It is a VERY expensive pump to replace......Not worth the risk.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Great advice on fuel pick up sensor and stainless hardware.. I don't see myself getting the time to do this until after winter right now. I would hope winter plowing with the fel will be ok with or without the relief valve as long as I am sensible about operating. Looks like the first project once I'm in the clear next year with spare time. Have about 400 projets going on right now!

Edit
    found this literature from the manualIMPORTANT: The 40 loader is shipped complete
    with a hydrostatic pressure relief valve which
    must be installed in place of the tractor
    transaxle forward control valve. The relief valve
    limits the peak hydrostatic pressures in the
    transaxle. This protects the transaxle from
    unnecessary stress for longer life. Operation of
    a front end loader on a tractor without the
    transaxle hydrostatic pressure relief valve will
    void the tractor warranty. If a 40 loader is taken
    off one tractor and used on another, or another
    brand of loader is used, it is important that the
    loader tractor be equipped with the transaxle
    relief valve.

Figured it should be on the tractor maybe I will disassemble and check when getting the deck off if I have time. Post some pics to see if she is setup right
    Last edited by Tjc50; 11-11-2014 at 01:08 AM.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjc50 View Post
    Great advice on fuel pick up sensor and stainless hardware.. I don't see myself getting the time to do this until after winter right now. I would hope winter plowing with the fel will be ok with or without the relief valve as long as I am sensible about operating.
    I wouldn't hesitate to proceed carefully with the winter use of your loader and tractor if you do not have the time to disassemble to verify the relief valves installation.

Just out of curiosity, how many hours are on your tractor?

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements