Green Tractor Talk banner

Another 54" Mower Deck Question

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  channellxbob 
#1 ·
As some of you may know, I just got a 54" deck for my 425, and I'm looking for the brace that bridges the underneath of the chute so that it can't be bent back so easily. I've looked at ebay, and some of the JD parts sites to no avail. Anyone got any idea where to get one of those braces?

#2 · (Edited)
WHY,, several times while mowing my chute will move up and glad it does so it doesn't break or bend. Actually my is held up with a strap about 50% of the time.

Guess if you have about a small piece of 2x4 take out one of the bolts that holds the chute to the deck. Drill hole in 2x4 or a 1x3 , either one standing on edge ,drill hole through the wood , insert longer bolt. :dunno
Or lay the board flat out toward the end of the chute and still use a longer bolt.

Either way cheap and simple fix. A flat piece of metal , L channel would work.

#3 · (Edited)
I think he's talking the piece of metal at the bottom of some decks that connect the two deck wheels more solidly at the bottom on the schute side. The 54 doesn't have it. I never had issues with the 455 but the one on the 425 has been straightened more times than I can count. For some reason the person (not me) that usually does the mowing likes running into $h!t with the schute side front wheel. To my knowledge, there isn't a prefab part but one could be made easily either welding it or bolting it to the bottom of the schute. If you have rocks or trees to mow around it might be worth your while.

Attachments

Reactions: DRobinson
#9 ·
That's the area that got bent up on my 54 inch deck too. I ended up bending it back and then welded the crack that developed where the guide wheel mount is. Once I got everything straight and welded up, I didn't have anymore issues but then I was careful not to hit anything real hard with the deck.

Reactions: DRobinson
#4 · (Edited)
The part is called a guard.

Part Number: M112423

The 54 mower on my 445 has one. I have worn out three or four of them in the 21 or 22 years that I have had it. I watch it close so the deck on the chute side doesn't get bent out of shape.

If the deck has been without one for a while, you may have to spread the chute opening. I have bolted one end and used a drift in the hole in the guard and the hole in the deck to open it up.

Reactions: Fozsey
#5 ·
Ok, since I can't get to the only 54 deck I have at the moment being 1500 miles away, where does this little gem bolt to?

AND, since I'm very adept to straightening that corner, I use a long rachet strap around a big tree hooked through the hole in the front corner. The hydro has more than enough to gently (much more so than the way it got to be bent) straighten that corner if necessary.

#7 · (Edited)
Reactions: Fozsey
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.