new x300 question

Thread: new x300 question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-19-2011 @ 02:23 PM
    Thanks

new x300 question

I just got my x300 w/42 deck on Monday. My property has some hills. This machine does not hold on a hill if you are going up and let off the forward pedal,and if you are coming down the hill and let off the pedal it keeps going forward for awhile. The dealer took it back to the shop for 3 days and brought it back Friday and said they made some linkage adjustments. The tractor is the same as it was before they picked it up. They are saying this is normal. I say it isn't. I had a LT160 for 8 years on this same property and it held on the hills. Need some opinions. If this is how the machine is supposed to work, then I'm taking it back and buying something else. I can't use this for my yard. When I pull it in my shed(which is level) it does not stop when you get off the pedal. Please tell me what is wrong. Sorry for being longwinded on my first post.

Barry

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-19-2013 @ 06:20 PM
    Sainte Genevieve, Missouri, United States
    Thanks
    Are you relying on the hydro to hold or does the park brake not hold? The hydro will slow and stop the machine on slight grades, but you should use the park brake whenever you get off of the machine.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Master Service Technician, John Deere AG, North America
    Advanced Service Technician, John Deere C&CE, North America

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, have done so much, for so long, with so little that we can now do anything with nothing.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-20-2015 @ 12:26 PM
    Thanks
    Barry,

I agree with Kevin 100%. I delivered a X300 to my neighbor 2 months ago. Sooo.... I went and tested the tractor on a slight grade. The condition you described is exactly what the hydro did. Normally, a hydrostatic transmission is designed to slow the tractor down and not stop it immediately. This is to prevent teeth marks in the hood. The fluid pressure returns the hydro to neutral, but can creep because of low pressure on the hydraulic motor in either direction.

I have two 455 GT's and they will coast down a hill if I do not brake OR touch the reverse a little. The list of tractors shown below do the same thing whether hand or foot control hydro.

GotDeeres
    [

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-19-2011 @ 02:23 PM
    Thanks
    I'm not relying on the hydro to hold on a hill if I'm getting off the tractor; thats what the parking brake is for. What i'm referring to is like what happens in a manual shift car if you're going up a hill and just push the clutch in; you will go backwards. That what the tractor will do if I let off the pedal. If you put the brake on it shuts the blades off. Like I said if this is how it is supposed to work then I will probably take the mower back under the 30 day John Deere Promise. I can't mow my yard with this working this way. My 8 year old LT160 climbed all over the hills without a problem. I can't believe no one thinks this is a safety issue. I've also read horror stories about the K46 transmissions not holding up. I think JD has gone backwards in quality since my last purchase 8 years ago. Thanks for responding. Any more are also welcome. Going to call the dealer tomorrow. Thanks. Barry

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    04-16-2016 @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks
    I would recommend the x320 and up with better transmissions. I operate on hills frequently in the mountain town I live in and have never used the foot brake in operation. I use it to park the machine, thats it. I find the transmission in my mower functions about the same as the tractors in that all of these will come to a stop quickly when I let off the pedals.
    Steve,

4520, 110tlb, 820, X749
    Enough attachments. Why don't I realize this?

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements