• 1 Post By jgayman
  • 1 Post By TJR345

Thread: Why no EFI on the X584

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 04:20 PM
    Thanks

Why no EFI on the X584

Still deciding on my model and the X584 has my interest because of the all wheel steer. But I'd like the features of the EFI in the 590. Going with the 584 I'm I really losing something with the iTorque engine?

Also, the best pick for a deck. I understand there are three. The Accel Deep in 54" would you say its a better deck over the high capacity model? I want to try my hand at mulching and see how it goes before i spend a bundle on a hopper just yet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    One could ask why there isn't EFI on all the X300 and X500 series? For some reason JD likes to charge a huge premium for that EFI engine so I suspect it would push the price of the other models over the top. I suspect sooner or later all small engines with electrical systems will be EFI.

There really isn't any reason for an EFI engine to cost more than one with a carb. Honda introduced the EFI version of its large portable generator and kept the price exactly the same as the previous carb model.
    DRobinson likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks
    I would go with the Accel deep deck.My dad has the 42" on his x370 and I can't believe how clean it stays and how nice the cut is.
    DRobinson likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 04:20 PM
    Thanks
    So going with the Accel Deep deck are there other advantages between the 48 and 54 besides the obvious? I know for the 700's this would eliminate the drive over feature but irrelevant here.

Mainly, I don't want a hulking deck in my garage (more for the other half to complain about) but keep all the features of the larger unit.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:29 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jobes View Post
    So going with the Accel Deep deck are there other advantages between the 48 and 54 besides the obvious? I know for the 700's this would eliminate the drive over feature but irrelevant here.

Mainly, I don't want a hulking deck in my garage (more for the other half to complain about) but keep all the features of the larger unit.
    48inch Leave a better Looking Cut than the 54inch . I should Have Kept My 48inch deck from My X485 when I Upgraded to a X748. Because the 54inch On the X748 is Not the Best Looking Cut. I bought a Used 2004 GX335 off of eBay In 2016 I let the dealer Keep the 48inch deck and Put a 42inch Deck On it. Yes it Give's Me More seat time. But the 42inch is a even Better Looking Cut than the 48inch. The GX335 was Bought to Take Care of are Old Homes Property which we Had Planned On renting out. But ended Up Just Hiring a Old Neighbor & family Friend to Take Over the Mowing duties there
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sergeant For This Useful Post:

jobes (04-17-2018)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    One could ask why there isn't EFI on all the X300 and X500 series? For some reason JD likes to charge a huge premium for that EFI engine so I suspect it would push the price of the other models over the top. I suspect sooner or later all small engines with electrical systems will be EFI.

There really isn't any reason for an EFI engine to cost more than one with a carb. Honda introduced the EFI version of its large portable generator and kept the price exactly the same as the previous carb model.
    If you want to ask that question what about looking at some other John Deere Equipment. It is easy to point to money and trying to hit a certain price point. Not saying that isn't part of the equation but look at the Z9xx series machines. There are a couple EFI options in the smaller engine sizes (and cost less money) but the bigger ones are all carb engines. In the case of my Z950R. Maybe Kawasaki doesn't make a vertical shaft 27HP engine with EFI. Kind of doubt it but sure enough it is a carb engine.

Sure they may be down on efficiency a bit but they are simpler as long as the cab stays clean. In the case of a commercial mower, the demand is probably there that people want something that will run and not have to worry about a finicky EFI. They have been around long enough to be pretty solid but my X585 was down for a couple weeks chasing a wire that had rubbed on the head of a bolt enough to wear through the insulation and short out the EFI system. Wouldn't have happened on a carb engine.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-12-2019 @ 10:40 PM
    Thanks
    It is a cost thing. A "X594" would be really close to a base X7, and in my experience folks usually jump up in those instances (even if they lose 4WS). Could happen though one day. I know the X590 has really taken sales from the X580.

In terms of commercial mowers, there are few if any large EFI engines, thus carbs in the big ones.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements