• 1 Post By jgayman

Thread: 46" mower deck bad spindles? have a listen

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:44 PM
    Thanks

46" mower deck bad spindles? have a listen

Hello all,

I acquired a 185 over the winter and it's pretty much just sat in my garage until the other day. I decided to start giving the tractor a once over so I pulled the mower deck off to check out the pulleys, spindles etc. Believe it or not I've never had a deck with bad spindles so I really don't know what I'm looking for but I believe I may have some bad spindles in this deck. I took a video of me spinning the spindles by hand and they seem noisy, tell me what you think.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PcduFQVzhbMXyE413

I ended up taking the blades off after this video and I noticed that the spindles didn't seem quite as noisy, could it just be the blades making the noise?

It looks like to get the spindles off the deck there's 3 bolts per spindle but once I have the spindle off I'm lost as to how to break them down/rebuilt them, anyone have any tips or videos if these spindles are in fact bad?

Thanks a bunch,
    Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,168 Posts
    The left and middle one sound bad. The right one is probably okay but if you are replacing the bearings you might as well do all three.

This parts diagram should aid in disassembling the spindles. #4 is the bearings. My 175 was similar but it didn't have the #7 snap rings. Remove the nut, pulley and spindle (#10), remove the snap rings (#7) and with a long flat punch you should be able tap out the bearings. Hold the spindle housing in a bench vise and tap the bottom one out from the top and the top one out from the bottom. You can use a large socket as a drift to tap them back in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	185_deck.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	598602
    Last edited by jgayman; 04-24-2018 at 08:26 PM.
    firemachine69 and bizz like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

bizz (04-24-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 AM
    Thanks
    No sound
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    No sound
    There's sound on my end, make sure you're clicking the mouse on the video and not just hovering over it.

-Matt

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Are there any aftermarket spindle bearings that are worth it or should i just stick to OEM Deere bearings?

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,168 Posts
    I'm sure somewhere out there is a 3rd party replacement but I've always just used the JD bearings. These are ~$10.50 each.

Despite routine greasing, my old 175 went through two sets of bearings in a relatively short period of time. Upon close inspection I saw that the bearings were sealed even though each spindle had a grease zerk. So on the 3rd set of bearings I removed the rubber seals on the side of the bearings that faced the grease zerk. This allowed grease from the zerk to actually get INTO the bearing. That last set of bearings lasted over 20 years and were still running quiet when I sold the tractor.
    bizz likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:53 AM
    Thanks
    I once own a JD 185 back when and had mower deck spindle bearings go bad. I removed the spindle and taken it to the JD dealer. The parts department guy told me I was moving my yard the wrong way. I ended up paying a assault charge for hitting the guy in the jaw. The manager told me I had to buy the whole spindle housing and all the items as one part. Cost over $85.00 as the parts were not replaceable. I proved he wasn't a manager of a John Deere dealer...just a flunky or sorts.

When you have removed the bearings, there is a number on the bearing...either side should have the number. If you have a firm called IBT in your area, they will have the bearing. If you have some tools you can replace the bearings. If the spindle housing don't have grease zerts, drill you a 1/4" and tap the hole to screw in the zerts. This will save you having to buy new bearings for ages.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements