Need help with X739 Purchase

Thread: Need help with X739 Purchase

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 04:20 PM
    Thanks

Need help with X739 Purchase

Hey all,

I have my x739 on order with the 54" deck and the High Capacity MulchControl Kit. I'd like to try my hand at mulching and see how it goes. This is my first Deere (or any tractor for that matter) and my first season at a new house.

Now, I'd like to get the 14-Bushel Power Flow System for grass pick-up if needed, leaf and thatch also using either the tow-behind or front thatcher unit.

Really my main question is can you use the MulchControl Kit with the MCS or are the two systems fighting each other as my dealer explained it? I think I read with the mulch kit open it still mulches 1/3 which is fine. I'm also considering a sweeper for small branch pick up and such.
    Last edited by jobes; 04-25-2018 at 04:00 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jobes View Post
    Hey all,

I have my x739 on order with the 54" deck and the High Capacity MulchControl Kit. I'd like to try my hand at mulching and see how it goes. This is my first Deere (or any tractor for that matter) and my first season at a new house.

Now, I'd like to get the 14-Bushel Power Flow System for grass pick-up if needed, leaf and thatch also using either the tow-behind or front thatcher unit.

Really my main question is can you use the MulchControl Kit with the MCS or are the two systems fighting each other as my dealer explained it? I think I read with the mulch kit open it still mulches 1/3 which is fine.
    When you rotate the mulching lever it moves a baffle which closes off the discharge location. Can you use the Powerflow at the same time? Well, technically yes, but there won't be any grass clippings being ejected from the deck.

Mulching is for chopping up the grass clippings very finely and dispersing back into your lawn. Collecting clippings with the bagger keeps them off the lawn. Two different purposes.

You want to maintain 1/4-1/2" max of thatch in your lawn. Any more and it inhibits disease, mold, and reduces effectiveness of granular applications.

Too little allows a lawn to dry out too quickly, gives weeds freedom to grow, increased likelihood of topsoil erosion, etc.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 12:31 PM
    Thanks
    Jobs, I run a 54" deck with the 14bu power flow and have had great results with it. I opted against the mulch control kit since occasionally my grass is moist when cutting and I didn't want to deal with the deck clogging. The bagger setup is certainly bulky and wide but it does a great job.

In regards to the dethatcher, do a couple searches on the forum and you'll see that a few of the guys have added a hydraulic function to lifting the front dethatcher. Some of the threads even reference youtube videos for your viewing pleasure.

Bottom line, if you have a QH already you can buy a bracket off eBay that allows the dethatcher to mount on the QH like a plow. If you don't have a quick hitch you can by the "angling kit" and then fabricate your own "Z" style bracket to attach the ram to. Like I said use search for the threads and the youtube videos will be a great help.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements