• 4 Post By SulleyBear
  • 1 Post By Rico7684

Thread: X540 with 44" snowblower.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 03:57 PM
    Thanks

X540 with 44" snowblower.

I'm taking delivery of this tractor and snowblower on Wednesday. I was just wondering if I could get some feedback on this setup. Like how well will this blow snow, cut through snow plow banks and snow drifts, that kind of thing.

In no way second guessing the tractor, but I'm wondering if I should have went with a blade instead of a blower. I've always used a walk behind snowblower, so I'm a bit nervous about this setup.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky ax View Post
    I'm taking delivery of this tractor and snowblower on Wednesday. I was just wondering if I could get some feedback on this setup. Like how well will this blow snow, cut through snow plow banks and snow drifts, that kind of thing.

In no way second guessing the tractor, but I'm wondering if I should have went with a blade instead of a blower. I've always used a walk behind snowblower, so I'm a bit nervous about this setup.

Thanks
    I'll give you my experience with my '04 GX335 20hp air cooled (close to yours) which your machine replaced in the lineup. I have both plow and blower for mine. The blower for my tractor is a "single stage" type and it's handled all the snow I've headed it into since I got it new in '04.

Since you don't have a blade I'll suggest in lighter snows 1"-3" or so, it pays to blow the first few rows right down where the next pass is going to be. This gives the fan more snow to work with and gets better distance. Bigger snow, just "let 'er fly!".

A couple "extras" to have on hand for a blower: If it's belt driven, an extra drive belt is a must. The belt won't break until you are using it. Second, extra "Shear Pins/Bolts" and a couple cheap-0 wrenches on the tractor to change pins on the spot. I have only broken one single shear pin (frozen Sundy newspaper in town plow berm) in 10 years. I do only blacktop driveways AND I've been darned lucky.

If you're storing it inside, roll it outside before any snow work and let the blower cool to ambient temperature (I like to sit and sip a coffee with the PTO engaged just above idle 5 min.) so snow is unlikely to freeze instantly to the warm blower parts.

Mine replaced a '96 Snapper 8/26 walk behind. It's still pickled in in the back of the shop, it's never been close to being needed in any snow conditions. My motto is, "A snow blower will blow from a fraction of an inch to over 2', but over a foot is getting to the limits of a blade in wet snow." FWIW
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Hydro: Wow, thanks for all of that info. Very valuable and I appreciate it. I will take your advice and get some shear pins and let it run for a bit to get acclimated to the cold. Thanks again!
    HydroHarold likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    01-12-2015 @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks
    Rocky,
    Congrats on the new machine!

I have a 2012 X500 with the 44" snow blower and it has performed very well for the past two winters. I live in a snow belt region and we regularly get 100" or more of snow. I have a steep blacktop driveway of about 300' and it has worked better than I expected. It throws the snow 25' minimum and has the power and traction to easily handle most snow conditions.

I chose the HDAP rear tires & haven't had to use chains, although I have them. Once last winter when we had 8" of heavy wet snow it was difficult to get up the driveway on the steepest part, but once I got to the top I just went downhill for the remaining passes and all went well kicking the snow at least 20'.

The end of my driveway where it meets the road is also very steep, and can have 4'+ of dense snowpack when the plows go by, but I haven't had a problem blowing through it, although if the snow is "greasy" lake effect type (if you live near the Great Lakes you'll know what I mean) the front tires will slide.

When Im done using it I wipe most of the snow off the entire blower to prevent it from turning to ice, which can sometimes impede the 2nd stage auger. I blow the remaining snow off with a compressor, especially the pulleys. A John Deere mechanic suggested this and said it would help extend the life of the pulleys.

I agree with Hydro, have some extra sheer pins. I've only broken one, but you'll want them on-hand in case one snaps.

All in all it has been a good performer and I think you'll be pleased with and probably even enjoy using the setup.

Good luck!

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for your post Rico. I appreciate the input. I'm looking forward to this machine. I'm going to define tell get some extra shear pins. I have a garage, so I can easily get any remaining snow out of the blower. I was worried a bit about the snow plow banks in the front of the driveway. Like you said, they can easily get up to 4' or better at times. Sounds like it's not going to be a problem.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:12 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky ax View Post

Thanks
    I know this seems like an obvious answer, but I am going to say it anyway.

NEVER throw snow towards anything which you wouldn't hurl a rock at. That includes exterior siding, but especially windows, light fixtures, vehicles, metal garage doors, etc. With the new set up, your snow throw distance and the volume of snow you are going to be able to move is likely quite a bit greater than the walk behind blower.

While this seems like a common sense suggestion, I am always amazed at the number of people who don't follow it. Last winter, I noticed A guy in the neighborhood was blowing the snow near their front door and garage doors and he was throwing it towards the house. When I stopped to talk to him, he said "This way I don't have to throw the same snow more than once to get it away from the driveway.

Well, later in the winter, not only did a chunk of ice break a window ($1,900) but the ice chunks and misc. other propelled objects did so much damage to the homes exterior "stucco" finish, that he had to spend $2,300 repairing and repainting the front foyer area stucco finish this summer.

What often appears like "fluffy harmless snow" coming out of the blower chute can cause an amazing amount of damage where it is landing........
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 11-23-2014 at 04:30 PM. Reason: added to answer
    fdmars, Doug, dieselshadow and 1 others like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Good advice Sully. I can't wait to see how this thing blows snow.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    My favorite method of cleanup is my Stihl BG86 hand held leaf blower. Even the hardest ice will come off fairly easily with the air. (I believe the air out of a blower has a bit of heat in it, at least that's the way it appears.) I used to use small electric blower and then finish up with compressed air, but it's all Stihl now.

You didn't hear this from me, but that guy Hydro also uses garden hose water to flush out behind and around the impeller and chute. It really gets all the salt off the frame also. House water is warm enough to clear everything out of the blower and then follow up with a good blasting of air... AND always grease all the greasy places. So far I've noted no rusting anywhere but the bottom of the cutting edge.

(Finger Lakes...? Anywhere near the old "Owasco RR Station" on 38?)
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    01-12-2015 @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks
    Hydro,
    I'm near Canandaigua, NY, also known as "The Chosen Spot" to the Seneca Native nation.
    HydroHarold likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements