54" jd snowblower for x485 or other options?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 54" jd snowblower for x485 or other options?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-17-2019 @ 07:13 PM
    Thanks

54" jd snowblower for x485 or other options?

I have been doing some research the last month or so on snowblowers for my x485 aws.
    I like the 54" size but cant seem to find any used ones. All of the used ones are 46-47". Does that mean there arent many 54's out there or just that the owners of 54's dont want to give them up?
    I want a 54" solely because my machine measures 47" wide already. Why would anyone want a blower that is narrower than the tractor itself? Why would it even be an option for a machine this wide?

Also i have been looking at new ones as well but am leary of the "plastic" impeller.
    Obviously i would prefer a metal one and if i do get a new one with a plastic one i will order a metal one right away and swap it out.

The other question is are there any other companies out there that make blowers that will fit on my tractor without major modification?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cumminsmannow View Post
    I have been doing some research the last month or so on snowblowers for my x485 aws.
    I like the 54" size but cant seem to find any used ones. All of the used ones are 46-47". Does that mean there arent many 54's out there or just that the owners of 54's dont want to give them up?
    I want a 54" solely because my machine measures 47" wide already. Why would anyone want a blower that is narrower than the tractor itself? Why would it even be an option for a machine this wide?

Also i have been looking at new ones as well but am leary of the "plastic" impeller.
    Obviously i would prefer a metal one and if i do get a new one with a plastic one i will order a metal one right away and swap it out.

The other question is are there any other companies out there that make blowers that will fit on my tractor without major modification?
    I see the 54" blowers on Craigslist occasionally but not nearly as often as I see the 47" blowers. I suspect that's because the 54" blower is the new/current model and they've been purchased fairly recently. The 47" blowers I see are often 15 years old and the tractor they were used on died or the owner decided they don't want to mess with snow any more and they hire someone to handle that for them (or they bought a new machine with a plow or 54" blower!)

I don't know of anyone else that makes a front mount blower unit for the x400 series. Erskine, Lorenz and a few others make units for the 1- and 2-series CUTs but I've never seen them advertise for the x400/x500/x700 tractors.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    I cant imagine the blower itself would be any different from say a 1025 to a new x734.
    I will have to check them out. Might take some parts from jd and some from the aftermarket to make it work but i will have to look into that.
    Thanks for the info. At least i have some names to work with now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-10-2018 @ 02:44 PM
    Thanks
    I would investigate this further and here is why I say that.

July 2014 I fell off a roof and shattered my ankle. While I had hoped I would be walking by winter there is no way. For that reason we looked at getting a blower for my 2004 X485 and I had wanted the 54" blower. I spoke to a number of dealers who all stated the 54" was too heavy for the front of the tractor and I would have traction issues. They all recommended the 47" blower.

For your same concerns I didn't want a 47" blower when it was barely wide enough to cover the width of the tractor.

My solution was the 54" blade. Since we have a walk behind blower I will use the blade to push the snow to one side and then my wife can throw it from the side to the grass with the walk behind blower. Kind of a 2 step process but it will have to do.

All dealers stated that had I had the 4wd they would have been fine with the 54" on the tractor.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-08-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks

Options...

I have a 54" blade for my X700, both bought used & with some TLC now work great!
    For 95% of the snows we have here in NW Wisc. it's my first weapon of choice. It has power steering, great visibility from the seat & just plain fun to drive it! Yesterday it got to 44 degrees & the snow on the garage apron & a short stretch of black top we have was slushy enough I could scrape it clean. The gravel I prefer to let sit so it can freeze & I don't scrape that all up.

Before I got my 1026R FEL & 48" rear blower, when it got too deep, that 1 or 2 storms of the year or the drive started getting too narrow, I had a farmer friend swing through with his skid steer or large tractor to open it up. This worked great over 40 years & only cost me lunch
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_7096.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	1,023.5 KB 
ID:	35787Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_4102.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	999.9 KB 
ID:	35788
    etcallhome and HydroHarold like this.
    1026R FEL
    60" back blade
    48" rake
    48" box blade
    ballast box
    boom pole
    SB1148 snow blower

RCR 1548 3 point brush mower
    Husqvarna 46" tractor mower
    Bobcat 2300 UTV with Rapid Link
    Land Plane LP1160

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 04x485 View Post
    I would investigate this further and here is why I say that.

July 2014 I fell off a roof and shattered my ankle. While I had hoped I would be walking by winter there is no way. For that reason we looked at getting a blower for my 2004 X485 and I had wanted the 54" blower. I spoke to a number of dealers who all stated the 54" was too heavy for the front of the tractor and I would have traction issues. They all recommended the 47" blower.

For your same concerns I didn't want a 47" blower when it was barely wide enough to cover the width of the tractor.

My solution was the 54" blade. Since we have a walk behind blower I will use the blade to push the snow to one side and then my wife can throw it from the side to the grass with the walk behind blower. Kind of a 2 step process but it will have to do.

All dealers stated that had I had the 4wd they would have been fine with the 54" on the tractor.
    I did a little research and the 47" weighs 240lbs and the 54" weighs 250lbs. And those numbers are straight from john deere manuals.
    So they were giving you a line of bs!
    I could understand if you had an x465 and would possibly lack the hp required for the bigger unit. But the x485 has plenty of hp under the hood.
    They also make a front end loader for these tractors too so it's not like they cant handle alot of weight on the front axle.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    06-10-2018 @ 02:44 PM
    Thanks
    I did a little research and the 47" weighs 240lbs and the 54" weighs 250lbs. And those numbers are straight from john deere manuals.
    So they were giving you a line of bs!
    I could understand if you had an x465 and would possibly lack the hp required for the bigger unit. But the x485 has plenty of hp under the hood.
    They also make a front end loader for these tractors too so it's not like they cant handle alot of weight on the front axle.

Well that sucks. I wish I would have looked further. Would have went with the 54" blower. I say go for it.

Last night we had 4-5" of wet heavy snow. I'm running R4 tires with no chains and 140lbs in the tractor trunk for weight. I had minimal traction issues. I had more problems with no steering since once the blade would load up with snow I couldn't turn and it wanted to keep going straight.

I would go with the 54" and not look back.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 04x485 For This Useful Post:

cumminsmannow (11-25-2014)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,348 Posts

I can tell you that a close friend who owns a local small engine repair facility has told me that while he expected many problems with the plastic impellars, he has seen very few issues. In his words, " The Deere plastic impellars are far tougher than I thought they would be".

I will also tell you that heavy snow will require you to stop forward motion of your tractor and allow the engine to "catch up" to operating speed so you can again proceed forward. I have a neighbor who has a x728, had 110 hrs on the clock, which is rated at 27hp . My 455 tractor has the 22hp Yanmar diesel with 2,300 hrs at that time. Just for comparison sake, your x485 is rated at 25hp.

The neighbor with the x728 wanted to see "if there was much difference between the gas and diesel" engines. Both tractors have shaft driven 47" two stage blowers. So we lined up in the unplowed roadway, side by side and started out simultaneously. The snow was about 10" deep. Frankly, there is a difference. When I had gone 150', the 728 was just reaching the 110' mark.

The torque of the diesels make them more effecient at continously blowing snow that is either deep, wet and heavy or both. The diesels handle the heavy loads with less need to stop the tractors movement to allow the engine to "catch up".

This may be the reason why dealers are not recommending the 54" blower for the 22hp to 27hp gas tractors as the extra volume of snow under the right conditions could overload the engines. Frankly, the 47" blower with the snow being 3" deep and wet can be more of a struggle on the tractor than blowing 12" deep snow which is light and easily blown.

From hundreds of hours of my own personal use on my 47" two stage snowthrower, I will tell you that they are extremely reliable units. Other than sheer pins and keeping an extra drive chain in my toolbox, the only other issue I have had was to replace the cable which controls the discharge chute direction which is mounted on top of the blower. Simply greasing the unit and keeping an eye on the drive chain and lubricating it at the beginning, middle and end of the season, and they are very tough units.

Last year I accidentally ran a phone book through my blower. The phone books were thrown at the base of all neighborhood mailboxes and a overnight 8" snow covered them until I "found it" with my blower. The book went through the blower and it caused a huge mess of shredded paper blowing everywhere. But it didn't even break a sheer pin.

Also Understand that there are different 47" Deere blowers out there, some which are belt driven while others are shaft driven.
    etcallhome likes this.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you sulleybear... I agree that a diesel would lug thru a long heavy load better than a gasser would. Personally i would love one but for what i use it for. Its not worth the added costs and maint.

The one that would be for the x400 and newer x700's would be a shaft driven unit and the cables you are referring to are no longer used. Now we have a hydro turn setup.
    I agree that a 47" would be able to go faster down the driveway but my major problem with a 47" isnt that i am looking for more capacity in the 54". I am simply looking at the dimensions of the tractor behind the blower being less than an inch narrower

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Regarding forward speed with any snowblower: One can always overload a snow removal device, plow or blower. The trick to keeping the revs up and running efficiently is HOW MUCH snow is going into the unit. Less of a cut makes for more RPM, better distance, less stress on the engine/drive parts and higher forward speed. Keep engine/impeller speed as high as possible in all conditions. I never understood lugging any engine down when there are operating adjustments that will keep it running efficiently.

In lesser snow depths with a blower, deflect the snow right down into the row of the next cut. Keep doing that until you have enough snow to finally reach your neighbor's yard with the deflector up.
    etcallhome likes this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast