Thread: John Deere D105 2016 - Rider Won't Move

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-05-2018 @ 12:20 PM
    Thanks

John Deere D105 2016 - Rider Won't Move

Hello,

Thank you for taking my post today.

About 1.5 years ago I finally got my first John Deere. It is a D105. It has been great til about 2 - weeks ago when it stopped moving. The acceleration pedal would not push down either. I rolled it up to the driveway and a couple of hours later I had the transmission in my car and headed to the repair shop. They glanced at it and said it was probably bad. I checked and found that there was a recall on these type transmissions but not mine in particular so I paid $400 for a new transmission. Brought it home and popped it in but rear wheels still would not turn. I started looking elsewhere for the problem and an hour later I had the drive belt off. Went to the parts store and bought one of those, popped it in and still no movement. Can someone please tell me what I am overlooking? I have this feeling that it is going to be something simple.

Thank you so much for the help.
    Last edited by Greenie; 04-30-2018 at 07:51 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks
    Is the key way in the axles when you put the wheels on.If they strip out or not there the wheels won't spin.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    Is the key way in the axles when you put the wheels on.If they strip out or not there the wheels won't spin.
    Hello,

The keys look fine sir. I have the tires off of the tractor now. Just cannot seem to be able to get the axle to spin. The belt is kinda loose so I replaced it but the new one is just as loose.

Thank you for the help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 07:02 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Hello,

The keys look fine sir. I have the tires off of the tractor now. Just cannot seem to be able to get the axle to spin. The belt is kinda loose so I replaced it but the new one is just as loose.

Thank you for the help.
    If the engine is spinning the drive pulls and the Trans is new and working then the only connection between them is the belt so it must be a belt issue.

Is the belt tight enough to move the pulley on the transmission? If not have you tried to adjust the tension in the belt so that it isn’t so loose and moves the Trans pulley when you press the pedals to engage it?

Make sure (if your unit has one) that the free wheeling lever on your Trans is not engaged, many of the older models have a lever or rod you pull to engage which puts the Trans into free wheel mode so you can push and pull the machine without damaging the trans. Make sure your trans isn’t in free wheel mode.

Was the new trans shipped and delivered dry? Or is it filled properly to the correct level? Check it out, if it isn’t it may not move...
    Last edited by balrog006; 05-01-2018 at 09:20 AM.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 10:54 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    If the engine is spinning the drive pulls and the Trans is new and working then the only connection between them is the belt so it must be a belt issue.

Is the belt tight enough to move the pulley on the transmission? If not have you tried to adjust the tension in the belt so that it isnít so loose and moves the Trans pulley when you press the pedals to engage it?

Make sure (if your unit has one) that the free wheeling lever on your Trans is not engaged, many of the older models have a lever or rod you pull to engage which puts the Trans into free wheel mode so you can push and pull the machine without damaging the trans. Make sure your trans isnít in free wheel mode.

Was the new trans shipped and delivered dry? Or is it filled properly to the correct level? Check it out, if it isnít it may not move...
    If you spin the drive pully on the trans, does the axle move? From the sound of it, it may be in free wheel, or neutral. If it is, I hope you kept your old trans, as most likely nothing wrong with it either if this one is good. If if you did not keep it, go back and pick it up. If not in neutral, make them show you it turns the axle before you take another one home.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:04 PM
    Thanks
    Greenie, I'm not familiar with the D105, so may not be able to help, but sure am curious as to what has happened.
    You mention that the drive belt from the engine to transmission is somewhat loose. Also the forward pedal can not be pushed down. Is there any chance the parking brake is stuck partially on, or some part of it's linkage has broken or stuck?
    Can you access JD Parts and look at the belt linkage, brake linkage, and trans. linkage? You may have a broken or missing link or spring.
    Can you describe exactly what happened or what you were doing with the tractor when it first would not move?

By the way, that's the first trans. I've seen that has a belt on it besides the engine to tranny belt. Wild!

tommyhawk

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 07:40 PM
    Thanks
    On the new trans you recieved, there is a large R clip that is used for shipping. Did you remove it? It is there to block the controls from moving. Find it and remove it.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    johnH123 likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    On the new trans you recieved, there is a large R clip that is used for shipping. Did you remove it? It is there to block the controls from moving. Find it and remove it.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    I did remove it when I installed the transmission. Thanks.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post

Is the belt tight enough to move the pulley on the transmission? If not have you tried to adjust the tension in the belt so that it isn’t so loose and moves the Trans pulley when you press the pedals to engage it?

Make sure (if your unit has one) that the free wheeling lever on your Trans is not engaged, many of the older models have a lever or rod you pull to engage which puts the Trans into free wheel mode so you can push and pull the machine without damaging the trans. Make sure your trans isn’t in free wheel mode.

Was the new trans shipped and delivered dry? Or is it filled properly to the correct level? Check it out, if it isn’t it may not move...
    Many thanks to everyone for the great advice.

The new belt feels kind of loose but it is the same length as the old belt. Will you please suggest a way to adjust the tension on this belt?

We put the tractor up on blocks, started it up and pressed the accelerator. I can actually see the main transmission pulley located on the front of the transmission turning when the accelerator pedal is initially pressed however if I keep pressing the accelerator down it stops turning. It is as if there is not enough tension in the drive belt. I checked everywhere online and do not see instructions for tightening the belt. I checked the part number and it is identical to the old belt.

Best regards and thanks again.
    Last edited by Greenie; 05-05-2018 at 12:20 PM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements