Entry level Deeres, where are they made?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Entry level Deeres, where are they made?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks

Entry level Deeres, where are they made?

Ok guys.
    This comes up from time to time, and to me its one of the most annoying arguments Ive heard regarding Deere.
    Its the old "the L or xxxx series Deeres sold at (insert favorite big box home improvement store here) are made by MTD (or Briggs and Stratton)" and arent the same quality as what you get from your dealer!"

Now, I know its BS, but what are the details?
    I know TMo said in a different thread about the differences in location, and that they are made in a Deere plant in TN, but wondering if anyone here has been there.
    On WFM some time back, a member there had been to the plant and saw them being made. I believe he even managed a picture or two.

I see people claim that MTD/Briggs has a plant in Tennessee and that because Deeres entry models have a TN origin, its GOT to be because MTD made them.

Anyway, just looking for real info from those who know so that when someone asks how I know, well, I have something other than "I just know."
    Levi and raco232 like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:36 PM
    Thanks
    Where the Equipment's Made: John Deere Factory Locations in the United States

Machinefinder.com is run by Deere. All of the locations listed are Deere factories/plants.

Greeneville, Tennessee
    - Lawn tractors
    - Mowers
    - Mower attachments
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Where the Equipment's Made: John Deere Factory Locations in the United States

Machinefinder.com is run by Deere. All of the locations listed are Deere factories/plants.

Greeneville, Tennessee
    - Lawn tractors
    - Mowers
    - Mower attachments
    They also list:

Horicon, Wisconsin
    - Lawn and garden equipment

Do they make both the E-series and X-series at both locations?

2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    I had heard that the "Saber" line was a rebranded MTD line. That series did not last long, I believe it was a "big box store" line. I know the local Deere L&G dealer does the setup and warranty repairs of the ones Lowes sells locally.
    Levi, raco232, Herminator and 2 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    They also list:

Horicon, Wisconsin
    - Lawn and garden equipment

Do they make both the E-series and X-series at both locations?
    I had always assumed that the "Lawn and garden equipment" meant non-tractor/mower equipment. Things like pressure washers. rototillers, walk behind snowblowers, edgers, etc...

AFAIK, all lawn/garden tractors and mowers are made in TN with the exception of reel mowers and some specialized golf equipment.
    Levi likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    . . . I know the local Deere L&G dealer does the setup and warranty repairs of the ones Lowes sells locally.
    I bought my light duty John Deere lawn tractor from Lowe’s in 2012, and its birthplace was Tennessee. It was set up by Heritage tractor, the same dealership I bought our 3025E and ZTM from. The Lowe’s mower even has a Heritage JD decal. Had I known back then what I know now, I would have bought the lawn tractor from the JD dealership. I may have even been able to get a better deal.
    Levi likes this.
    JD 3025E | D160 loader | JD 413 Rotary Cutter | Behlen 7' grader blade | JD cultivator | Farm King PHD w/12" auger | Titan Ballast Box | 61" Pirhana bar | JD Sod Buster | Titan Pallet Fork w/receiver | Edge Tamers with Extensions | 5' King Kutter Rotary Tiller
    JD Z-Trac 335E with hitch and bumper kit | JD 8 cu ft cart
    JD D-100 Lawn Tractor w 42" deck | 10 cu ft HF cart
    1948 Ford 8N l 6' tooth harrow l Kawasaki Mule XC-SE
    Weather KMOLAWSO17 It's always sunny...unless it is not

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    Deere’s Horicon Wisconsin plant builds the x300, X500 and X700 series tractors as well as Gators. They used to build the zero turn mowers but production of the zero turns was moved to Greenville TN a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mfarley, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    I had heard that the "Saber" line was a rebranded MTD line. That series did not last long, I believe it was a "big box store" line. I know the local Deere L&G dealer does the setup and warranty repairs of the ones Lowes sells locally.
    The Sabre thing had a long history. Home Depot wanted their own brand of mowers and contracted Deere to build them for them under the "Sabre" brand. Deere built them under exclusive contract with Home Depot from 1995 to 2002. So HD had Sabre mowers to sell and Deere dealers had Deere mowers to sell. They were all built by Deere but Deere dealers had no obligation to service or do any warranty work on Sabre equipment. HD handled all of that.

Then HD decided they didn't want their own brand and Scott's needed someone to build mowers for them so Deere built them under the "Scott's by John Deere" moniker and Scott's sold them to HD and Sears in 2002-2003 Scott's took over responsibility for service and warranty work.

When Scott's decided to get out of the equipment business Deere was left with a factory and no one to build mowers for. So they came up with the L-series and sold those through the big boxes. If I remember right the L-series (2003-2005) 1XX/1XXc-series (2006) and LA-series (2007-2010) were only sold through the big box stores. The G-series (2003-2005) was sold through Deere dealers and the D-series (2011-2017) and E-series (2018- ) were sold by both dealers and the big box stores.
    Levi, BigJim55, Herminator and 1 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Herminator (05-05-2018)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:52 AM
    Thanks
    To add to what has already been mentioned, only the residential zero turns are built in the Greenville, Tennessee plant along with the entry level John Deeres. The commercial zero turns are built in Horicon, Wisconsin along with all the X-series tractors and the Gators.

The original Scotts branded tractors were originally built by Murray, and then Scotts contracted Deere to make them. The Sabre and the Scotts brands were both built by Deere at the same time. I have brochures for both with the same year marked on them.

MTD has never, I repeat, never built a tractor or for that matter, anything for Deere, as of yet. Don't believe anyone who tells you differently.

One last thing, in the 90s, Honda contracted Deere to make lawn tractors for them and Honda put their engines on them. They were LX1XX tractors that were painted differently and may have a different looking grille, sorry I can't remember and I don't have any pictures of them. It's been awhile since I've seen a picture or any information about them, so my memory is a bit fuzzy on their appearance. A friend of mine had one come through his shop though a few years back.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T-Mo For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (05-07-2018), Kennyd (05-06-2018)

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:28 AM
    Thanks
    The Gators for years were assembled in Janesville, WI. I forget what road it was, but they were put together at a non-descript building and parked outside in a giant parking lot. You could see them from the road. JD has moved the gator assembly to Horicon now.
    DRobinson, T-Mo, Levi and 2 others like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MDrew For This Useful Post:

T-Mo (05-06-2018)

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast