Building a custom lawn sprayer... opinions?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Building a custom lawn sprayer... opinions?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 04:03 PM
    Thanks

Building a custom lawn sprayer... opinions?

I have recently started looking into building my own custom 50 gallon lawn sprayer.
    I spray a handful of properties every year and my 30 gallon trailer sprayer is somewhat annoying in 4 categories.
    1. Spray width roughly 8 feet.
    2. Spray hose gun length.
    3. It's a trailer.
    4. 30 gallons isn't enough.

So let's dive into this. I own a JD X758, no 3ph or CnG brackets. I have looked into the 40gal 3 point set ups ($500), the two downsides I see there is I have to install the 3ph which is like $700 and buy the sprayer. I'd be looking at $12-1300 to gain 10 gallons, 2ft wider spray, and lose the trailer. Things I fear of this set up is overloading the 3ph, and not being able to keep the front end on the ground since I'd be holding around 400 lbs 3 feet off the rear of the mini tractor.
    Then there is the john deere click and go set up. 25 gallon tractor mounted sprayer gtfo... no thanks.

So here's what I'm thinking, using a 50 gallon narrow tank mounted to a homebrew bracket that would slide into something to the effect of 2x2x1/4 steel tubing that's attached to the same area the 3ph connects on both sides.
    The sprayer arms... I'm considering an overall physical width of 14ft (16ft spray coverage). 6 foot main section with 4 foot hydrulic folding wings. Using the hydrulic valve that allows for floating, this would be an easy way to allow the arms to be moved manually if needed. Using something to the effect of a 50ft retractable hose reel for the spray wand. This needs length due to the rear being wider than the tires, I will have 3 areas I can no longer fit (by going 6ft wide center beam) into since currently the tires rub the gate to enter lmao. Something I'm considering using also is a master control box, running a large set of +/- wires to a quick connect at the rear to plug in a fuse/relay box. This will control 3 solenoid valves, for selective spraying of each boom, lights on each end of the boom, the pump, and a solenoid valve for the spray wand.

Originally I was thinking of having the outside booms fold upward, but have since considered having them forward along the tractor due to needing a narrow width while under trees at 2 properties.

Here's some pictures to chew on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    08-28-2019 @ 05:03 PM
    Thanks
    Not to hijack the thread but curious what you are using for product to spray on your lawns? Just purchased a spinner spreader after researching and really wanting a sprayer. Dealers and fertilizer suppliers talked me out of going with a liquid fertilizer. I would have to order from limited suppliers on the internet which didn't seem to fit my routines of treating my lawn. Thanks for your time and good luck with your build, it was difficult finding a prebuilt sprayer with all the features I would have liked
    Herminator and TDavis1992 like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks
    Will you be able to keep your front wheels firmly on the ground with 400+ lbs of water on a tank hanging off the back?

Just spitballing a little bit here but could you build the system like you're thinking but re-use your existing tank for the back and then mount a smaller (20-25 gallon) tank on the front with a small electric transfer pump between them?
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Thanks
    Hereís the ideal rig! Boom mounted on tailgate folds up out of the way for narrow gaps and out of the way when using wand! The chains on the gate allow to raise or lower boom. I can easily slide this spray rig in and out of the trailer if I need it for other stuff. And I donít have a bunch of weight on my mower! I could easily pull with other equipment!
    I also donít have spray directly behind me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D994BE1-5FD9-48F0-9ADA-479B8CFFEA42_1525627384658.jpg C198B65D-7A72-475D-A190-6DA50FB25AA4_1525627440437.jpg F1CB897B-4C10-49CF-A20A-A93071113B93_1525627465320.jpg
    Last edited by 1010; 05-06-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    Jim Timber, Robnik and TDavis1992 like this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 1010 For This Useful Post:

Keerym†(05-12-2018)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    I was recently asked in a private message about what I'm spraying on the lawns.
    Due to certain connections with certain people. I came into owning roughly 1000 gallons of liquid fertilizer. 800 gallons for lawn care, 150 gallons for garden use, 20 gallons of surfactant, and 30 gallons of everything killer. Call it a lifetime supply considering the mixing rate is incredibly low due to it being commercial products. This stuff is for my property only. It's from precision labs golf course collection for the most part.
    Other things I commonly spray is Bifen 7.9 insecticide, not a single bug on any of the properties for roughly 3 months. No mosquitoes, boxelders, earwigs, millipedes, or ticks which is a good thing for the boys. Triplet is another common one for each property along with quinclorlac 75 DF.

Oh, I also made a flame thrower out of a 8 gallon tank sprayer too I have since mounted the 8 gallon tank and propane tank to one of those reciever carry-alls and put it into the reciever hitch on the front of the deer rofl.

After I get this sprayer figured out, the next thing is to get a pellet spreader for pre emergent/milorganite/lime/salt.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Will you be able to keep your front wheels firmly on the ground with 400+ lbs of water on a tank hanging off the back?

Just spitballing a little bit here but could you build the system like you're thinking but re-use your existing tank for the back and then mount a smaller (20-25 gallon) tank on the front with a small electric transfer pump between them?
    I didn't even think of that!
    The solution currently would be the JD BM19780, they are suitcase weights that are 70lbs a piece. I really like your suggestion though and will think about it for future expansion!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
    Hereís the ideal rig! Boom mounted on tailgate folds up out of the way for narrow gaps and out of the way when using wand! The chains on the gate allow to raise or lower boom. I can easily slide this spray rig in and out of the trailer if I need it for other stuff. And I donít have a bunch of weight on my mower! I could easily pull with other equipment!
    I also donít have spray directly behind me.
    I have considered that option as I have the 21 steel cart from john deere. I would in that case probably move up to a 100~ gallon tank.
    Two issues I have with it are...
    1. The tractor and trailer don't fit on my damn trailer hooked up, it REALLY irritates me actually.
    2. I'll still have a trailer, which wouldn't be nearly as bad with a long hose reel. I'm truly about 50/50 split on the option.

Off topic, why are these trailers made to do such a nose dive?

Last edited by TDavis1992; 05-06-2018 at 12:50 PM.
    Robnik likes this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Unhook the spray rig and turn it sideways on the trailer behind the mower. 8x50= 400lbs plus the sprayer and trailer. 8x100=800lbs plus the sprayer and trailer. Now I'm sure that is a legit mower but could it handle that kind of weight pushing/pulling it on slopes?
    I certainly wouldn't go over the 50 gallon tank and use a mower for pulling. Just saying.
    Robnik, Herminator and TDavis1992 like this.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Unhook the spray rig and turn it sideways on the trailer behind the mower. 8x50= 400lbs plus the sprayer and trailer. 8x100=800lbs plus the sprayer and trailer. Now I'm sure that is a legit mower but could it handle that kind of weight pushing/pulling it on slopes?
    I certainly wouldn't go over the 50 gallon tank and use a mower for pulling. Just saying.
    I had honestly figured with the weight I've seen some of these guys get up to in attachments I'd be fine on flat ground toting roughly 1200lbs. That being said I wouldn't dare do that on my property, too many slopes and transitions. My property I can cover in about 50 gallons anyways. Would just be nice to have the extra capacity when needed/useable.
    I truly never have looked into what it would be rated to pull on flat ground though....

Robnik and 1010 like this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    A quick look on Tractor Data shows the X758 coming in at around 1200lbs +- depending on the set up.
    I'm sure an owners manual would mention GVW weights on the front and rear.

Love the dogs btw!
    Robnik likes this.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    A quick look on Tractor Data shows the X758 coming in at around 1200lbs +- depending on the set up.
    I'm sure an owners manual would mention GVW weights on the front and rear.

Love the dogs btw!
    So get this.... I was reading through the manual.
    John Deere rates the x758 at 9 42lb front weights, 2 30lb front wheel weights, and 850lbs of rear max ballast.
    1288lbs of ballast on a 1200lb mower lmao. That's a lot of pounds on the ground!
    These transmissions must be rated for more than I thought.

Speaking of the pups, Wrigley was supposed to have no pit or rot in him..... uh huh surely he don't. Bruno on the other hand, I know this may come as a surprise, is a purebred GSD rofl.

Look at this lovely little craigslist find... http://madison.craigslist.org/grd/d/...558733838.html

Jim Timber, Robnik and 1010 like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast