Looking for 445 engine expert

Thread: Looking for 445 engine expert

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-04-2014 @ 02:20 PM
    Thanks

Looking for 445 engine expert

In process of installing head gaskets on 445, I need to verify a couple of things before I buttoned the motor up.

#1 do you need to put anything on heads to seal head gasket?
    #2 what are the steps for adjusting valves on the v twin 22 hp

Thanks
    Kevin

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-05-2019 @ 06:53 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 445 jdeere View Post
    In process of installing head gaskets on 445, I need to verify a couple of things before I buttoned the motor up.

#1 do you need to put anything on heads to seal head gasket?
    #2 what are the steps for adjusting valves on the v twin 22 hp

Thanks
    Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

I've been a professional engine builder for many years. Generally you do not put anything on a head gasket. They seal themselves without the need for chemicals. In some cases chemicals will actually cause a problem with sealing. Make sure you get a razor blade and scrape the block and head surface where the head gasket will seal and get it as clean as you possibly can. Then wipe the surfaces with some carb cleaner or some other similar cleaner.

Make sure you know the torque setting for tightening the bolts correctly which will require a torque wrench. There is also a designated pattern sequence for tightening the bolts in an particular order so the head compresses to the gasket surface with equal pressure. When tightening the bolts put a light dab of oil on the bolt threads. Torque the bolts it in at least 2 steps. For example; if your torque setting for the bolts is supposed to be 100 foot pounds you would do these steps. First tighten the bolts to the point where they stop turning with your wrench very easily; a hair more than finger tight. Second, tighten to 50 pounds. Third, tighten to 100 pounds. Lastly, go back and check all are at 100 pounds.

As far as adjusting valves I can't really say without seeing a manual. Every engine has a bit of a different procedure but it is generally simple. Make sure you find the procedure for your engine! Generally with most engines this is how it works. You will need to bring your firing piston to top dead center. Then you can adjust half of the valves. Then rotate the engine to bring a different piston to top dead center, which will usually bring your firing piston to the bottom, you can then adjust the other half of the valves. For hydraulic lifters usually when tightening the rocker arms you will tighten the rocker arm nut slowly while spinning the push rod with your finger. As soon as the push rod stops turning easily with your fingers you turn the rocker arm nut an additional 1/4 to 3/4 turn. With a solid lifter you will use a feeler gauge to leave a certain gap measured in thousandths of an inch between the rocker arm and valve. The intake and exhaust valves will usually have a different measurement due to the exhaust valve getting much hotter. As I said, this procedure varies with different engines and may not directly apply to your specific engine.
    - Mike - 2012 John Deere 3320 eHydro with cab, 300cx loader

John Deere 6' 6" 3 point snow blower, Frontier 48" pallet forks, King Kutter 5' box blade, 6' back blade, 5' rake, 5' tiller, and 5' brush hog, Northstar log splitter, Chief 22 gpm PTO pump, 8'6" hydraulic V-Plow, BXpanded 72" Piranha toothbar.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements