• 1 Post By SulleyBear
  • 1 Post By meyerld

Thread: X485 buying advice

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-03-2018 @ 11:50 PM
    Thanks

X485 buying advice

I've been a collector / user of wheel horse tractors from the late 70s and currently have a couple including my go-to C-141 which I use to plow snow, but I haven't mowed with it in probably 7-10 years since my zero turn does a better, faster job. Now that my 10 year old is getting old enough to start helping out (never unsupervised) I'm looking for something that she will be able to operate. As I get older I'm also finding that tinkering with the old kohlers is still fun but not something I have as much time for. So, long story short, I've started looking at newer hydro deers. A heavier tractor with a legit snow blower and plow setup is also very appealing to me - the wheel horse single stage blower is pretty useless for my long driveway and despite weight and loaded tires the tractor still does have some issues in deeper snow w/the plow. I would be having my kids mow the very flat part of my 4.5 acres (they'll be able to use the zero turn in another 5 or so years), plow and blow a pretty long driveway, and help out with general chores like hauling a wood cart, etc - its a big yard and having real garden tractors I'd never go back to a big box store POS.

My price range is ideally <$4k. A 4x4 like the X738 would be amazing but out of my range. A new tractor doesn't make sense since this won't be my primary mower and I want something that isn't going to depreciate much in case I change my mind or want to upgrade in a few years.

I was leaning towards a 425 (or 445 but those seem to be harder to find). I've found a couple with around 1k hrs for around $3500 w/a blower, plow, and 54" deck - most with all wheel steering but I don't care and its one more thing to maintain/break. I started reading up on the plastic cam, etc - things to look for when buying a used one. I've just recently come across a X485 w/blower, plow, and deck (the combo I want) with $1k hrs for $4800 delivered and it looks really nice w/maintenance records. The EFI is also appealing to me as someone who has dealt with carburetors a LOT.

I know from WH forums that people just dropping in an asking if they're getting a good deal or what something is worth never has a straight answer and there are lots of factors. I did just want to see if people with a lot more green tractor experience could give me some advice as to the models i'm looking at, if the newer x485 is a good tractor and worth the extra $$, or if there is some other model I should be looking at.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:54 PM
    Thanks
    The x485 is a good tractor.There's a few members here that have or had them that can give more detail.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:12 PM
    Thanks
    I have a X585. It is a very similar tractor to the X485. Same transaxle, same engine. I think the biggest difference off the top of my head is I want to say the X485 is 2WD and the X585 is 4WD.

Mine was bought by my father in law. He never had an issue with it. When we bought the house from them, the tractor came with it. That was 13 years ago. Growing up I used to plow, blow snow and mow with a 317. I do the same with the X585, though I now I have a Z950R for mowing. That was mainly because the X is getting up there in hours. I noticed it has 1160 when I was doing mulch this weekend. Combine that with I wanted a dedicated machine for FEL work. Since I have a FEL for it, it made sense.

Over the years I have had a few issues.

Most recently I had a fuel leak from the fuel rail. I had to pull the injectors to replace the o-rings where the injector connects to the fuel rails. Couple bucks in parts and 30 minutes.

I had a dash issue. The tractor ran fine, it would just peg out the fuel gauge and temp gauge. My parking brake was acting goofy as well. I will see if I can find the thread but once I bought the Z950R I had time to tear apart the X and fix a few things like rust on the foot wells, the dash (bonded the ground and resoldiered the connector on the dash).

I had engine surging which turned out to be the fuel pump falling off the hose in the fuel tank.

I started blowing EFI fuses when the wiring harness was rubbing on a bolt on the valve cover. The dealer screwed this up when they were trying to fix the dash issue and couldn't. They routed the engine harness wrong. It shorted a wire going to one of the injectors.

Replaced the fuel line from the filter to the fuel rail because it was leaking where it connected to the fuel filter.

The switch on the backward directional control which senses that you are backing up and will kill the PTO failed. It failed open so I wasn't able to use the PTO until I sorted it out. I hated that switch anyhow so no way I was going to replace it. I just bypassed it.

I think that is pretty much it. Overall I would say it is a pretty good machine. The dash issue and fuel pump falling off the end of the hose in the tank are kind of known issues. Fixes were mainly time. A bit of wire and a couple inches of fuel line was all it took for parts to address those two. The blowing EFI was an issue because of the dealer screw-ups. I don't go to that dealer anymore. The switch for backing up I hated anyhow. It was motivation for me to just get rid of it.

As far as a X485 for your uses. It was fine mowing. I just use the Z because it is newer and faster. Does the X485 use shaft driven implements (mower and blower)? I think it does and if so I really like that over the older machine I used as a kid. If it isn't 4wd which I am pretty sure, then you might want chains and wheel weights for plowing. It should have a diff lock so you don't need independent wheel brakes. I would use the wheel brakes to stop a spinning wheel on older machines. With 4wd I don't bother with chains. I added fluid to the rear tires but that was more of a need when I added the FEL to it.

It is hard to say on the price but a well maintained machine is a pretty solid one. No real major concerns. I will say on cold start all Kawasaki engines blow a little smoke. Even the new one on my Z950R does it. So I wouldn't panic about that if you see it. I do like the EFI on it for cold weather starting.

Here is a post on the dash/rust/ parking brake fix. You can also see under the skin which should be pretty close to a X485.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...hing-x585.html
    Last edited by sennister; 05-08-2018 at 07:43 AM.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-03-2018 @ 11:50 PM
    Thanks

thanks!

Thanks for all of the helpful input. I REALLY would love a 4x4, but I think that essentially doubles the cost and they seem to be a lot harder to find because they're still newer. I've been getting by with my 97 wheel horse, loaded w/weights, so even with 2wd I would imagine the weight of the x485 being almost double + loading the tires and/or weights has got to be a huge improvement. And I sure am looking forward to foot controlled hydro (WH, except the 5xi series which was a different beast, never had that).

I've been reading up on this *a lot*, people seem to really like the 455 diesel, but they still seem to be more than the x485 on the resale market and while diesel would be nice I don't think I'll put enough hours on this machine to really notice the difference - although I am looking at a 60" deck and definitely the snow blower.
    BigJim55 likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    Two years ago I bought a used x485 AWS w/62C deck, 500 hours for $4700 out the door. This was from a dealer, so there may be better deals. Seat had been replaced, and all fluids and filters including air changed too. Machine was clean and looked brand new. I think you could find one with 1000-1500 hours for much less than I paid.

They are 2wd, with shaft driven implements. EFI and power steering are great. I like the AWS. everything is tight on mine. Maybe the dealer replaced parts

This may be too big (physical size) for a 10 year old to operate. It's much bigger than my former JD285.

I only mow with it. so far I've only added 55 hours. No problems so far. The 62C deck is bigger/heavier than the deck on the 285. The drive shaft is harder to connect/disconnect than the belt on the 285, but I'll never be buying that belt again . I think I could pull the deck off the 285 in 3 minutes, but I had it 28 years. Pulling the 62C deck takes me much longer due to size and weight and the drive shaft.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Diesel in general is going to hold its value better.

You could look for a X585 like mine. The X595 is the diesel version much like the comparison between a X485 and X495. I honestly don't follow the used market much so I don't know what they are going for. It is also hard to find implements so keep that in mind. I have a buddy with a 425 (I think) and he constantly complains about trying to find equipment for them. People that have them don't want to split up the stuff.

Sure if you look at a X7xx machine it is going to be a lot more money. A X585 was made from 02-06. The X484 was made from 02-05. Where it gets tricky is in 06 they changed up the numbers. The X585 became the X728. So when someone looks at a X5xx in a more current model year and try and compare it to a X585/X595 they are quite different. Compare it to the X7xx and things line up better. These are things like how the implements are driven. Shaft vs belt and hydraulics.

4wd is great, I use it a lot but I also don't run chains. Running chains and weight on a 2wd machine will do a lot. Though when plowing I am putting down pressure on the blade most of the time so the front wheels are not doing anything. If it has HDAP tires which most do, the traction is really good in the snow. 4WD comes in handy on a couple spots when I was mowing with it and I use it when I use the FEL.

The X485 is a good machine, if you only looked for a X728 for a 4wd model try a search of X585 as it is the older version.

If you haven't been on Tractor Data they have lots of specs on these machines. Not always 100% accurate but usually pretty good.

X485

X585
    Zebrafive and BigJim55 like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    I agree following the JD models is confusing

X485 are 2wd and option of AWS

X5xx series did not have a version of the X485, they went to 4wd in the X575 & X585, no 2wds.

Then the X7xx series had a numbering change last two digits, and AWS became a separate model, not an option

The X485 2wd became the X720, then the X730

The X485 2wd AWS became the X724, then the X734

Since I did not need 4wd, I looked for an X4xx series, I would have had to go to the X7xx series for something newer.

Two other X4xx series to consider are the X465 and the X475, but both are carb, not EFI

When I was looking, a diesel appealed to me, but the added cost was more than I wanted to spend. I set a limit of $600 more for diesel, but could not find one at that price. I was finding $1200-$1500 more for a diesel.
    BigJim55 and sennister like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    I agree following the JD models is confusing

X485 are 2wd and option of AWS

X5xx series did not have a version of the X485, they went to 4wd in the X575 & X585, no 2wds.

Then the X7xx series had a numbering change last two digits, and AWS became a separate model, not an option

The X485 2wd became the X720, then the X730

The X485 2wd AWS became the X724, then the X734

Since I did not need 4wd, I looked for an X4xx series, I would have had to go to the X7xx series for something newer.

Two other X4xx series to consider are the X465 and the X475, but both are carb, not EFI

When I was looking, a diesel appealed to me, but the added cost was more than I wanted to spend. I set a limit of $600 more for diesel, but could not find one at that price. I was finding $1200-$1500 more for a diesel.
    Ok, that makes more sense. I wasn't sure what the progression of the X4xx was in relation to the X7xx. It is just the 2wd version. The X5xx being 4wd.

So it looks like this:

X465 - 2wd 21hp Kawasaki Carburetor FH641D Air Cooled
    X475 - 2wd 23hp Kawasaki Carburetor FD671D Liquid Cooled
    X485 - 2wd 25hp Kawasaki EFI FD711D Liquid Cooled
    X495 - 2wd 24hp Yanmar (diesel) 3TNE74 Liquid Cooled

X575 - 4wd 23hp Kawasaki Carburetor FD671D Liquid Cooled
    X585 - 4wd 25hp Kawasaki FD671 or FD750 EFI Liquid Cooled - There is talk of a change in the engine used based on SN.
    X595 - 4wd 24hp Yanmar (diesel) 3TNE74 Liquid Cooled

All of these would fall in the 2002 - 2005/06 time frame when the renumbering happened. Core components are all going to be pretty much the same. I want to say they all use the TuffTorq K92 trans-axle. The difference being the 2wd vs 4wd version of it. As you get into that 06 and newer you hit the renumbering that happened and they became different flavors of X7xx.

I have the TM2023 which is the service manual that covers all of these except the diesel versions. There are separate sections for the the different engine options.
    Zebrafive and BigJim55 like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:10 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arrkerr View Post
    I've been reading up on this *a lot*, people seem to really like the 455 diesel, but they still seem to be more than the x485 on the resale market and while diesel would be nice I don't think I'll put enough hours on this machine to really notice the difference - although I am looking at a 60" deck and definitely the snow blower.
    Which part of Michigan are you located in?

In my opinion, Once you have had the diesel, it will be all you will own. The diesel tractor is truly the ideal set up as far as I am concerned. The longevity, the fuel efficiency, the increased torque, the stronger resale value, the better at running the engaging implements like snow blowers, tillers, etc. Hands down, the diesel is the route I would and have taken now, twice.

I have a 455 which I have not been using since I got my new tractor. I was going to restore it as I have had it since new and it has been a phenomenal tractor. Regarding the fuel efficiency of the Yanmar in the 455, my new zero turn burns more than twice the fuel this tractor did to mow the same lawn.

I do NOT have it for sale, but when I saw your ad and that you are in Michigan, I felt compelled to answer. Who knows?

My tractor has the following;

- 60" shaft driven deck
    - 47" two stage snow blower

- the front mount quick attach hitch with angling cylinder with new hoses
    - the MC519 Collection cart and the deck mounted blower unit for picking up grass and leaves ($1,600+ new) a GREAT SYSTEM.
    - as well as the NEW 54" snow plow with plow markers and rubber squeegee edge. This plow came with my new tractor and I already have a custom built plow which I use on the new tractor. The plow alone with options was $650.
    - Rear weight bracket for suitcase weights (weights not included as they are used on new tractor)
    - Newer Tire Chains
    - Terra Grip Traction Strips (rubber chains so they don't score the pavement)
    - Oil Filters, Hydro Filters (two or three of each)
    - New seat with seat cover

I am sure I have forgotten a few things......

Where the costs really start adding up in a hurry is when you start adding all of the attachments and implements. The front snow blower, front drive unit, front mounted quick hitch and the front snow blade are about $4,500 new......And that's without the tractor or mower deck, etc.......Just FYI, The x750 diesel would be the c0mparable new tractor to this one.

The diesel 455 is a great machine. The Yanmar engine will go thousands of hours if taken care of and I have always run Synthetic Amsoil motor oil in mine and it's always had treated diesel fuel. I am obsessive about maintenance and I have done all the work on this myself over the years.

The reality with a used tractor is they are going to require an occasional thing to be tightened or part replaced. It sounds like you have the mechanical experience to deal with the basics should they arise. I want anyone looking at a used tractor to be aware that its always possible something could require attention.

Like many of these era machines, the engine compartment side panels are cracked, but they remain fully functional and on the machine. Same with the hood. The vibration of the diesel is the common culprit for these items cracking over the years. Problem is replacing just the hood and side panels cost about $750, so I have been going to plastic weld the ones on the machine. If I was going to restore it, I had planned on ordering a new hood and side panels. But they aren't necessary for using the tractor as the current ones work just fine.

I was using it right up until I bought my new Zero Turn mower in August of 2017 and then my new 1025R tractor came in with all new attachments in October last year.

I am faced with the reality that to keep all of my stuff, I will need to build another building as I won't permit the tractors and attachments to be kept outside. So, who knows, maybe we might be able to make something happen........

This tractor has been so good to me, it's like a trusted old friend and I don't want to betray it.....But it's also been 8 months since I was going to tear it down and repaint it and I haven't touched it......so, if I could find the right home for it at the right deal, I just might do something.

I have a full maintenance summary I can share with you. Right now, I believe the machine has between 2,550 and 2,600 hours on it.

If you are interested in discussing this further, send me a Private Message.
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 05-08-2018 at 02:22 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:37 AM
    Thanks
    I have had and still use an X485. Bought it brand new in 2005 and it still looks and runs like Brand new. It has 3 point hitch added. If you have any specific questions please let me know otherwise I would say we have not had any problems with it other than when cutting taller grass the grass debris get drawn into the air inlet and causes the engine temperature to increase. It comes with screens that are (relatively) easy to pull out and clean so this isn't a big deal but is the only thing about the machine that bothers us. This is likely a common issue to all the X4xx series tractors...not sure if it also applies to the X7xx series. The tractor is good and strong - it will pull my 24' car trailer around the yard with a car inside without any problems at all. The routing of the little hose for draining for the engine oil is a pain the behind but again its just a nuisance not a real problem. I can't think of anything else.
    BigJim55 likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements