Why the mower decks says " NOT A STEP"
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Why the mower decks says " NOT A STEP"

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts

Why the mower decks says " NOT A STEP"

Here is a photo of a neighbors yard. He has a x4?? with the all wheel steering. I have watched him and his kid both step on the mower deck getting on and off the tractor. The first time I saw him doing this, I STRONGLY discouraged it......explaining the huge negatives which accompany such behavior. I even pointed out the "NOT A STEP" decal on the deck and explained how it will get knocked out of level.

He noticed that I get on and off my ExMark Lazer Z Zero turn by stepping on the deck. However, my deck is DESIGNED to be stepped on and in fact, it has a metal, non skid step plate mounted on the deck just for that purpose. I showed him the difference and explained that the decks are suspended in very different ways on the two machines.

Well, apparently my advice hasn't been heeded. Here are two photos which demonstrate what happens.........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180508_120017743.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	607954

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180508_120025655.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	607962

I took these photo's today while driving past in my tractor. There was a couple of other photos' I took which show EXTREME scalping and the cut is so uneven I bet it is 2" different left to right. But in those photo's, it shows the front of the house with the address so I can't post those in order to "protect the identity of the crooked cutting party".......

The tighter the turns around objects, the worse the height disparity and there is actually scalping by the outside edge of the deck on every tight turn. When they mow a tight circle around any object, the entire outer edge of the deck is scalping the lawn.

I really hate to see someone spend thousands of dollars for a decent lawn tractor and on their lawn upkeep and then scalp the daylights out of the lawn along with every single cut is very crooked and noticeable, because of the deck being so out of level now.

These people also have a lot of rolling lawn and the cut really shows on every high point. The deck is really out of level when they are turning, the tighter the turn, the worse the cut. Another neighbor asked me "What's wrong with "so and so's" lawn?" so I drove past to see. The deck being very un-level is part of it and I wonder if the rear tires are inflated correctly as the tire marks are also inconsistent. In fact, in person, it's so noticeable that I wonder if something isn't broken on the deck mount or suspension of the tractor.

I hate to go knock on the guys door and say "Hey, let's take a look at your tractor mower deck together" to try and help the guy out, but short of him sending it back to the dealer, I doubt anything is going to change. I can't imagine he is happy with the end result.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Thanks
    Those two pictures that show the "high and low" cutting areas, may actual be caused my a outer blade being dull or bend down a bit. Besides, why would one put their foot on the mower deck on a X4-- series and the other foot of the foot rest, and take the foot of the mower deck and put on the foot rest and the other foot to get on the tractor seat. Try that some times and see what happens. I have John Deere 345, and I get on my tractor on the left side. I put my left foot on the foot rest and step up and swing over into the seat. On my John Deere Z710A Ztrak, I have a rubber step pad glued to the front of the left side mower deck that I step on to get on the tractor seat.
    Robnik and 1010 like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Seeing all those concentric circles around the tree makes my head hurt. I can't stand it when I don't see straight lines when mowing.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks
    Go give him a hand Sulley

I'll bet you are right about tire inflation not being right. Setting all winter tires will lose psi even without leaks. One of mine would not register on my gauge ( gauge starts at 5psi)

For an x4XX the rears should be 6-10psi and the fronts 10-14psi. You will need a good low pressure gauge, which I bet you have and he doesn't. I run mine at the high end, since I know they will lose air over time.

Just correcting tire pressure may fix the cut if it was cutting OK before.

First do the tire pressure, then on flat surface level side to side, front to rear, then adjust the corner wheels.

Side to side leveling; there is a yoke that has pin with a hairpin connecting to the lift arms (one each side) You have to pull the pin to adjust the yoke (its on a threaded rod) up or down. I make sure the corner wheels are not supporting any weight. I put the key in my pocket (don't want anyone to start the machine to "help" me in some way), put the outer blade of the side I am working on parallel to the axle, measure both sides, and decide which side to raise or lower. I always check both sides after I adjust either side. Once level side to side, level front to rear.

Leveling front to rear; You really want the front slightly lower, 1/8" to 1/4" I shoot for 1/8". Put an outer blade parallel to direction of travel. Measure front and rear height. JD sells a nifty gauge. Use the large "U" shaped front hanger to adjust the front to rear height. Loosen the rear most nut on both sides. Tightening the front nut raises the front, loosening it lowers the front. Count turns or "flats" and do both left and right front nuts equally. Measure exposed threads to make sure both sides are even. When you have the front to rear "level" set, tighten the rear nuts of the big "U"

Finally set the corner wheels 3/8" to 1/2" off the ground Book says 1/4" to 1/2", but I think 1/4" is too close
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks
    Maybe it's just been my luck, but I've always found the all wheel steer versions to be afflicted by some level of un-eveness on tight turning.
    PaDave, SulleyBear, Robnik and 1 others like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Sulley Bear--i bet if he's stepping on the deck, without it sitting on the ground, he wore the pin uneven in the lifting yoke, that Zebra 5 was talking about.

how do i know-well lets just say i might of wore mine out till i realized it so now i set the deck clear on the ground when i get on or off of it. saves going thru all that stuff that Zebra 5 posted about.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:56 AM
    Thanks
    My neighbor has an X590. Weeds and feeds his lawn every spring. Just when it gets lush and green he mows and scalps the living daylights out of it. Looks like he is plowing instead of mowing.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 12:42 PM
    Thanks

Glad you can't see my yard

Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Seeing all those concentric circles around the tree makes my head hurt. I can't stand it when I don't see straight lines when mowing.
    I'm glad you can see my yard, particularly the back yard with bushes, fire pit etc. I too cut circles and if I don't it takes a lot longer.

Address withheld to protect the circle cutter

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

rtgt (05-12-2018)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    I'm glad you can see my yard, particularly the back yard with bushes, fire pit etc. I too cut circles and if I don't it takes a lot longer.

Address withheld to protect the circle cutter

Treefarmer

I got rid of my tree, problem solved.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darkrt View Post
    My neighbor has an X590. Weeds and feeds his lawn every spring. Just when it gets lush and green he mows and scalps the living daylights out of it. Looks like he is plowing instead of mowing.
    I have a neighbor who as soon as the grass gets an inch long he scalps it back down almost to the dirt. Some times there is so much dust and dirt flying that you can't even see him.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast