Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: 445 drifting to left

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:14 AM
    Thanks

445 drifting to left

I have never owned a John Deere with power steering until now. That being said, my 445 has a slight drift to the left if I hold the steering wheel without turning it. Is this something normal with the power steering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:16 PM
    Thanks
    Check the bushings that that the wheel arms go up through on the front axle (wear), plus check the axle pivot point bushing (wear). Check the tie rod ends (loose/worn out), and the tie rod (bent). Finally check for play in the Power steering
    Last edited by bloodrunsgreen; 05-09-2018 at 04:47 PM.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Not normal. The tie rod ends are the place I'd start, assuming you don't have a low front tire and the alignment is within limits. If its AWS, its 10x more critical. Jack the front up and check every joint to make sure each is tight. One loose one will impact steering. From there, check the power steering cylinder ends to make sure they are tight but I'd guess you'll find your issue sooner than that.

If AWS, you also have the front swash plate joints, and a swash plate with joints in the back. Any of these could cause steering issues.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:14 AM
    Thanks
    Thank the two of you very much. I will check those things now. My 445 is not AWS.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:34 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with Fozsey, low tire pressure, Check ALL, or front not aligned properly (toe-in wrong or lacking)

Check these things first, then check wear items.
    Last edited by Zebrafive; 05-10-2018 at 08:31 AM.
    tj1 likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

8. Top | #6
    tj1
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    I'm going with the front end not aligned, easy fix if the tire pressure is good on all wheels. There should be an alignment section in your owners manual.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Thanks
    Maybe it was used to mow the infield at a NASCAR track.
    DRobinson, X748SE, darkrt and 1 others like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:49 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,496 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gboyet93 View Post
    I have never owned a John Deere with power steering until now. That being said, my 445 has a slight drift to the left if I hold the steering wheel without turning it. Is this something normal with the power steering?

These things are notorious for wearing out tie rod ends. In fact, I keep a spare set in my spare parts box because when they break, you are going no where as the front wheels will be pointing left wheel left, right wheel right. You can't even back up as it will just act like a clown car.......or my neighbor with AWS......who loves to mow in circles.....(See, why the deck says "Not a Step" thread...)

Tie rod ends / Steering Linkage
    What tends to wear out the tie rods ends faster are those machines which carry a lot of weight on the front axle, such as the snow blower or front plow on these garden tractors on the front quick hitch assembly. It's normal wear, not necessarily meaning anything is seriously wrong............

If it is a tie rod end or linkage issue, do yourself a HUGE FAVOR and spend the extra money and buy the good OEM rod ends from your Deere dealer. I have purchased the "Oregon" brand and others in the after market and they are not nearly the quality and won't last. Also, tie rod ends are threaded in opposite directions with left handed threads or right handed threads so make sure you are getting the one you need. If you aren't sure, remove it and take it with you to the dealer, they will show you the difference and get you what you need. I would be very surprised if they didn't stock these parts. If you have one worn tie rod end, replace both sides while you are doing it. If one is worn, the other is right behind it.

The following information is important to pay attention to and will save you headaches. If you do have a worn tie rod end or other steering part, before you disassemble anything, count the threads exposed on the tie rod ends and when you replace the old part, thread the new part on to the same depth on the shaft. Usually, this will put the alignment right where it should be, unless something else is bent or another part if worn out.

Back to the front steering linkage under the tractor, make sure everything is greased and freely operating, including the front axle pivot in the center of the axle. When you jack the front of your tractor up, the axle should freely lift up and down, left to right (tilt from side to side on the center pivot) and there should be no "wobble" of any of the components.

Steering Wheel and Steering Column Assembly
    If your examination of the steering linkages don't demonstrate any wear or failures, this section is likely the next source.
    It's also worth mentioning that the steering on these will get "loose" over time and it's often a function of the bushings in the steering column being worn or the tilt steering mechanism wears and causes the steering wheel to "be loose". One of the primary reasons this wear occurs is so many people grab the steering wheel when getting on these tractors and they pull themselves on the tractor platform and seat, which adds side loads to the steering column, which result in these wearing and causing the steering wheel to "feel loose' when wobbled either side to side or front to back.

Depending upon the serial number of the machine, some of these have a steering shaft and some have a steering cable which is flexible. This can be the location of some of the wear which can causes the drift as well. If your steering wheel feels loose at all, and you can move it either front to back or left to right, it very well could be wear in the steering shaft components.

While the steering linkages and tie rod ends and shafts are very straight forward, the actual repair to fix the steering column or wheel is more involved and requires more labor. You have to remove the dash to get the steering shaft out to see what's worn. To be honest with you, if this is what's wrong with your tractor and it's not a loose tie rod end or other linkage issue, the complexity of fixing it is much greater. You are going to want to have a Deere Technical Service Manual to undertake removing the steering column assembly.

Possible Tire Issues
    Also, if this tractor is new to you, look at the tread depth on the front tires and the wear patterns as well as the tire pressures. I have seen where people replace just one front tire and the other is so worn it causes the tractor to "wander" to the side, usually (but not always) the good tire would be "dominant" in pulling it that direction.

"Wheel Alignment"
    Also, you can measure the distance with a tape measure between the inside edges of the front of the front tires and the inside rear of the front tires to make sure they are parallel and the steering is "aligned". If you have a discrepancy between the distances on the front and rear inside of the front tires, it will cause the tires to "Plow" which will will wear the tires on the pavement and it will actually scuff the grass when turning. Plus the steering will not be smooth and it will act like it is "fighting you" to some degree and you will feel it in the steering wheel.

Summary
    I doubt very much if the problem is actually in the power steering of the tractor, but is more of a basic linkage or mechanical item. Usually straight forward and easily detected once you jack the center of the front axle up so you can "pivot" and check all of the steering linkage, etc.
    I have worked on these numerous times so if you need help, feel free to send me a Private message and I will do what I can to help you.
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 05-10-2018 at 08:38 PM. Reason: correction

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    These things are notorious for wearing out tie rod ends. In fact, I keep a spare set in my spare parts box because when they break, you are going no where as the front wheels will be pointing left wheel left, right wheel right. You can't even back up as it will just act like a clown car.......or my neighbor with AWS......who loves to mow in circles.....(See, why the deck says "Not a Step" thread...)

Tie rod ends / Steering Linkage
    What tends to wear out the tie rods ends faster are those machines which carry a lot of weight on the front axle, such as the snow blower or front plow on these garden tractors on the front quick hitch assembly. It's normal wear, not necessarily meaning anything is seriously wrong............

If it is a tie rod end or linkage issue, do yourself a HUGE FAVOR and spend the extra money and buy the good OEM rod ends from your Deere dealer. I have purchased the "Oregon" brand and others in the after market and they are not nearly the quality and won't last. Also, tie rod ends are threaded in opposite directions with left handed threads or right handed threads so make sure you are getting the one you need. If you aren't sure, remove it and take it with you to the dealer, they will show you the difference and get you what you need. I would be very surprised if they didn't stock these parts. If you have one worn tie rod end, replace both sides while you are doing it. If one is worn, the other is right behind it.

The following information is important to pay attention to and will save you headaches. If you do have a worn tie rod end or other steering part, before you disassemble anything, count the threads exposed on the tie rod ends and when you replace the old part, thread the new part on to the same depth on the shaft. Usually, this will put the alignment right where it should be, unless something else is bent or another part if worn out.

Back to the front steering linkage under the tractor, make sure everything is greased and freely operating, including the front axle pivot in the center of the axle. When you jack the front of your tractor up, the axle should freely lift up and down, left to right (tilt from side to side on the center pivot) and there should be no "wobble" of any of the components.

Steering Wheel and Steering Column Assembly
    If your examination of the steering linkages don't demonstrate any wear or failures, this section is likely the next source.
    It's also worth mentioning that the steering on these will get "loose" over time and it's often a function of the bushings in the steering column being worn or the tilt steering mechanism wears and causes the steering wheel to "be loose". One of the primary reasons this wear occurs is so many people grab the steering wheel when getting on these tractors and they pull themselves on the tractor platform and seat, which adds side loads to the steering column, which result in these wearing and causing the steering wheel to "feel loose' when wobbled either side to side or front to back.

Depending upon the serial number of the machine, some of these have a steering shaft and some have a steering cable which is flexible. This can be the location of some of the wear which can causes the drift as well. If your steering wheel feels loose at all, and you can move it either front to back or left to right, it very well could be wear in the steering shaft components.

While the steering linkages and tie rod ends and shafts are very straight forward, the actual repair to fix the steering column or wheel is more involved and requires more labor. You have to remove the dash to get the steering shaft out to see what's worn. To be honest with you, if this is what's wrong with your tractor and it's not a loose tie rod end or other linkage issue, the complexity of fixing it is much greater. You are going to want to have a Deere Technical Service Manual to undertake removing the steering column assembly.

Possible Tire Issues
    Also, if this tractor is new to you, look at the tread depth on the front tires and the wear patterns as well as the tire pressures. I have seen where people replace just one front tire and the other is so worn it causes the tractor to "wander" to the side, usually (but not always) the good tire would be "dominant" in pulling it that direction.

"Wheel Alignment"
    Also, you can measure the distance with a tape measure between the inside edges of the front of the front tires and the inside rear of the front tires to make sure they are parallel and the steering is "aligned". If you have a discrepancy between the distances on the front and rear inside of the front tires, it will cause the tires to "Plow" which will will wear the tires on the pavement and it will actually scuff the grass when turning. Plus the steering will not be smooth and it will act like it is "fighting you" to some degree and you will feel it in the steering wheel.

Summary
    I doubt very much if the problem is actually in the power steering of the tractor, but is more of a basic linkage or mechanical item. Usually straight forward and easily detected once you jack the center of the front axle up so you can "pivot" and check all of the steering linkage, etc.
    I have worked on these numerous times so if you need help, feel free to send me a Private message and I will do what I can to help you.
    You are my hero! This
    BigJim55, SulleyBear and TJR345 like this.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fozsey For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (05-11-2018)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,288 Times in 1,417 Posts
    Someone may have mentioned this, but the early models of 4X5 tractors did not have grease fittings on the power steering cylinder ends. Mine wore to the point that control was very difficult. I drilled it and put grease fittings in, but it was too late. The original lasted for nearly 20 years. The replacement has grease fittings like the later models. It is easy to check by slowly turning the steering wheel to see if the ends of the cylinder moves before the bellcrank moves.

If I could write like SulleyBear, the above paragraph would be much clearer and more interesting. You should write technical manuals SB.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DRobinson For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (05-11-2018)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast