Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Removing front blade and quick hitch from X485

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-10-2018 @ 02:44 PM
    Thanks

Removing front blade and quick hitch from X485

While this winter isn't over I keep looking at the 54" blade I had the dealer install and wonder how it all comes apart. They were a little vague when they dropped it off.

I looked through the instructions and it appears two pins hold the blade to the quick hitch so that should be easy. What about the quick hitch though and all the hydrualic lines? All I was told when I disconnect the lines to make sure the tractor is off and to move the levers to remove the pressure.

Is hydraulic fluid going to leak out all over the place? I know the tractor has caps on it to cover the holes the lines plug into but what about the lines? I did a quick look and didn't see any caps.

When I reinstall do I have to top off the fluid anywhere?

What is this lockout valve I keep reading about? What does it do? Do I need to do anything with that?

Sorry for the rookie questions. First time ever working with this and nursing a broken ankle so I can't get out there and crawl around under it like I would want to.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 752 Posts
    The two pins at the bottom of the blade will release the blade. You can then lower the hitch or lift off the blade.

To remove the hitch you will need to disconnect the hydraulic lines at the quick disconnects. They will drip a little bit so just have a clean rag. You want to make sure not to get dirt in the couplers. Both ends should have caps to cover them.

Be careful of hydraulic pressure. Shut off the tractor, then move the levers to relieve the pressure, then remove the couplers. I usually make sure I am wearing good heavy leather gloves when handling hydraulics. Under pressure it can be shot into your skin and if happens it is painful and dangerous.

There should be two more retractable pins that hold on the hitch.

The isolation valve is in one of the hydraulic lines on the right side of the tractor. When it is closed it diverts flow to the front hitch. Open it allows the rear 3 point hitch to raise lower.

Someone will be along shortly with a link to the parts diagram and Mabel even a link to the operators manual which you really need. I'm on my iPad or i could find it for you....
    Kennyd and Roger lee like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Buy the way, welcome to the site.

Many years ago I had an X495. Great tractor.

Z915E
    XUV560

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks. This gets me in the ball park. So if I don't have a 3 pt hitch when I go to use the mower in the spring I don't have to worry about any adjustment valve. Just set my mower deck to the desired height and go.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 04x485 View Post
    Thanks. This gets me in the ball park. So if I don't have a 3 pt hitch when I go to use the mower in the spring I don't have to worry about any adjustment valve. Just set my mower deck to the desired height and go.
    Hmmmmm, My MMM was connected to the rear 3 point. Maybe you have an independent lift? Might still need to open the diverter to get that to work when the front blade is removed.

Z915E
    XUV560

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgt View Post
    Hmmmmm, My MMM was connected to the rear 3 point. Maybe you have an independent lift? Might still need to open the diverter to get that to work when the front blade is removed.
    My mower connects to two bars that drop down in front of the rear wheels. I guess when I read 3 point hitch I was thinking the one that can be added off the back. Once spring comes up I will see what I can find. Hopefully the foot is healed better by then and I can crawl under it.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Here is a pic of the mower deck lift.

The isolation valve shuts off the flow to the lift cylinder so that all the flow goes to the quick couplers / plow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X485 Mower Lift.gif  

Z915E
    XUV560

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Here is a diagram of the hydraulics.

#21 is the Isolation Valve.

If I remember correctly it is located near the SCV
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails x485 Hydraulics.gif  

Z915E
    XUV560

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Here is the Quick Hitch.

#9 is the Isolation Valve (again)

#17 is the pins used to attach the blade and the hitch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front Quick Hitch.jpg  

Z915E
    XUV560

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 07:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 04x485 View Post
    While this winter isn't over I keep looking at the 54" blade I had the dealer install and wonder how it all comes apart. They were a little vague when they dropped it off.

I looked through the instructions and it appears two pins hold the blade to the quick hitch so that should be easy. What about the quick hitch though and all the hydrualic lines? All I was told when I disconnect the lines to make sure the tractor is off and to move the levers to remove the pressure.

Is hydraulic fluid going to leak out all over the place? I know the tractor has caps on it to cover the holes the lines plug into but what about the lines? I did a quick look and didn't see any caps.

When I reinstall do I have to top off the fluid anywhere?

What is this lockout valve I keep reading about? What does it do? Do I need to do anything with that?

Sorry for the rookie questions. First time ever working with this and nursing a broken ankle so I can't get out there and crawl around under it like I would want to.

These JD attachments are easy to work with....no biggie. Flip the two "L" shaped levers on the blade to take it off the quick-hitch.

As the others have said, with the tractor not running, jiggle each hyd. level back and forth a few times to relieve the pressure. Then push the collar back and disconnect the hose. Yes, a very small amount of fluid will leak out. I use a paper towel or rag to clean up the connectors. Put the plugs back in the connectors, and the covers over hose tips. Flip the two levers on the front of the quick-hitch and ease it off the frame of the tractor. (it's heavy) Carefully route the hoses off through the hose guides and remove the quick-hitch.

Now, for the lockout valve, you may or may not have one, because it is an optional item. Your hydraulics will operate properly without one, just will take longer to angle your blade left and right. Look on the back of your SCV valve. (behind where the hoses hook up to the tractor) If you have a lockout valve it will be readily apparent. What is does is it locks out fluid from going to the cylinder that lifts the mowing deck. If you don't have a lockout valve, you have to wait for the deck cylinder to operate fully before your blade angle function will operate.

On the lockout valve, you screw the knob all the way in to "lock it out". For normal operation when you have the mowing deck on, you screw the knob all the way out to unlock it.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast